• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most BLM protests are peaceful, despite claims to the contrary

Tambourine

The vast majority of the thousands of Black Lives Matter protests this summer have been peaceful, with more than 93% involving no serious harm to people or damage to property, according to a new report tracking political violence in the United States.

But the US government has taken a “heavy-handed approach” to the demonstrations, with authorities using force “more often than not” when they are present, the report found.

And there has been a troubling trend of violence and armed intimidation by individual actors, including dozens of car-ramming attacks targeting demonstrators across the country.

The new data on protests and the US government’s response comes from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data project (Acled), an organization that has long tracked political violence and unrest in regions around the world, together with Princeton University’s Bridging Divides Initiative.

Data assembled by Acled has been viewed as a reliable source of information on the death toll in Yemen, civilians killed by governments in Africa and political violence against women, among other conflicts. The organization launched a new “US crisis monitor” project this year, concerned that the US is “at heightened risk of political violence and instability going into the 2020 general election”.

The results of the study present a stark contrast to claims made by the Trump administration, and widely circulated by Fox News and other rightwing media outlets, that the US is being overrun by violent leftwing protesters and “domestic terrorists”.

“There have been some violent demonstrations, and those tend to get a lot of media coverage,” Dr Roudabeh Kishi, Acled’s director of research & innovation, told the Guardian. “But if you were to look at all the demonstrations happening, it’s overwhelmingly peaceful.”

Between late May and the end of the August, Acled and Princeton researchers documented 7,750 demonstrations associated with the Black Lives Matter movement in more than 2,000 different locations across the United States, as well as more than 1,000 protests related to Covid-19. About a third of the Covid-19 protests were linked to schools reopening, the report found, all of them peaceful protests. There were also at least 70 documented protests over Covid-19 involving healthcare workers, and at least 37 demonstrations focused on the eviction crisis.
Nearly all Black Lives Matter protests are peaceful despite Trump narrative, report finds

So it seems that now even independent studies were able to confirm that the narrative of Antifa terrorists looting and burning entire cities is largely without factual support. I know, what a surprising new development, I hardly would have expected such a thing!

Now, sarcasm aside, with media coverage in the US seemingly so polarized that two political camps are unable to even communicate, let alone find any sort of common ground, I doubt that this information will sway many minds in either direction. We sadly live in an era where even basic facts have become so heavily politicized that it seems almost impossible for people of different political persuasion to agree on some basic facts on the ground such as the ones shown in the article.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nearly all Black Lives Matter protests are peaceful despite Trump narrative, report finds

So it seems that now even independent studies were able to confirm that the narrative of Antifa terrorists looting and burning entire cities is largely without factual support. I know, what a surprising new development, I hardly would have expected such a thing!

Now, sarcasm aside, with media coverage in the US seemingly so polarized that two political camps are unable to even communicate, let alone find any sort of common ground, I doubt that this information will sway many minds in either direction. We sadly live in an era where even basic facts have become so heavily politicized that it seems almost impossible for people of different political persuasion to agree on some basic facts on the ground such as the ones shown in the article.
Peaceful comparatively like Islam? For a 'peaceful' movement, it sure has the reputation of being anything but peaceful.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Peaceful comparatively like Islam? For a 'peaceful' movement, it sure has the reputation of being anything but peaceful.
Peaceful as in unless you live in a RW bubble there wasnt that much violence going on overall. As in, it seems to have been overall a few isolated incidents of violence and rioting. If you watch Tucker Carlson holy **** America is a war zone. Many other sources though walk the streets of these warzones and just do not see signs its widespread.

Twilight Hue

Peaceful as in unless you live in a RW bubble there wasnt that much violence going on overall. As in, it seems to have been overall a few isolated incidents of violence and rioting. If you watch Tucker Carlson holy **** America is a war zone. Many other sources though walk the streets of these warzones and just do not see signs its widespread.

I'm sure its played out with plenty of media spin and misdirection on both sides, I'm not convinced however that BLM protesters/terriosts are a bunch of harmless puppies.

74x12

It's by design to keep people polarized so they can control the population more easily. They use fear to control people and divide and conquer is a classic trick. So every orchestrated event and movement is there to bring us to predetermined conclusions. To make us "agree" with our secret abusers. It's why I hate the solution more than the "problem".

tytlyf

Not Religious
Tucker and RW gossip artists want their base believing that if Biden gets elected, "every small town in America will be destroyed by BLM and Antifa."
It's a cleverly designed false narrative to instill FEAR in the voting base. Emotional trickery works. But only on people that aren't aware of the techniques

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm sure its played out with plenty of media spin and misdirection on both sides, I'm not convinced however that BLM protesters/terriosts are a bunch of harmless puppies.
It doesn't surprise me to see you saying "BLM protesters/terrorist" (that you don't see the fundamental amd inherent difference between the two) and deny what is in front of us. It's a fact the rioting was not nearly as widespread as RW media makes it sound.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tucker and RW gossip artists want their base believing that if Biden gets elected, "every small town in America will be destroyed by BLM and Antifa."
It's a cleverly designed false narrative to instill FEAR in the voting base. Emotional trickery works. But only on people that aren't aware of the techniques
That is a very naive way of looking at it. Sort of like the smart person who gets scammed because they believe they are too smart to fall for a scam.

Twilight Hue

It doesn't surprise me to see you saying "BLM protesters/terrorist" (that you don't see the fundamental amd inherent difference between the two) and deny what is in front of us. It's a fact the rioting was not nearly as widespread as RW media makes it sound.
You do realize that riots are classified as low key warfare.

Anyways it would be a valid point to mark out every place rioting, vandalism, and looting occurred since it all started, and see how truthful any and all assessments are by putting the pieces in place and looking at the overall picture.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Anyways it would be a valid point to mark out every place rioting, vandalism, and looting occurred since it all started, and see how truthful any and all assessments are by putting the pieces in place and looking at the overall picture.
People have already done that. Theyve strolled the streets of these alleged warzones. To those who go there it's never nearly as bad as those who haven't beem there but claim the cities are over run with violence. Its so bad that here on RF Portland was compared to Gotham City. But that's just not the case.

Tambourine

It's by design to keep people polarized so they can control the population more easily. They use fear to control people and divide and conquer is a classic trick. So every orchestrated event and movement is there to bring us to predetermined conclusions. To make us "agree" with our secret abusers. It's why I hate the solution more than the "problem".
Who is "they" in this scenario, though?

Who classifies riots as wars?
That is exactly what this report has done, with the conclusion visible in my original post in this thread.
The amount of protests that have resulted in actual "rioting, vandalism, and looting", to use your terminology, has been minimal.

What would convince you otherwise?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given the right wing driving cars into crowds, opening fire on people and being praised for only killing a few and so forth, "I'm not convinced however that" right-wing "protesters/terrorists are a bunch of harmless puppies".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Media coverage of events resulting in a distortion of perceived frequency of events is nothing new. It's been going on since.... well... probably since at least the printing press existed, honestly. News coverage is never statistically representational of goings-on in the world partially because it's not intended to be. Regardless of media literacy, there's a tendency to perceive that which we hear about as more frequent or common even if it isn't as well. The only good counter to that is critical thinking and more in-depth investigative reporting/journalism.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm referring to those who have looted, stolen, and murdered.

Unless you perchance advocate and cheer such activity.

I support peaceful protest. You should refer to people more carefully. Protest is not terrorism. It's a fundamental democratic right.

Twilight Hue

I support peaceful protest. You should refer to people more carefully. Protest is not terrorism. It's a fundamental democratic right.
Certainly, however that would apply to the right as well in terms of how advocates are often accused of being racist and violent as well when it comes to peaceful opposition.

At the end of the day it entirely depends on its organizers as to weither the term terrorist applies, or even domestic enemy and the actions of its collective members.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Certainly, however that would apply to the right as well in terms of how advocates are often accused of being racist and violent as well when it comes to peaceful opposition.

The Right has a right to protest, and they do so all the time. They don't have a right to murder us, like Mr. Rittenhouse did.

At the end of the day it entirely depends on its organizers as to weither the term terrorist applies, or even domestic enemy and the actions of its collective members.

Actually no, it doesn't. The organizers are generally not responsible for the sporadic violence that happens. The organizers repeatedly tell protestors to be peaceful. It's known that violence at BLM protests has been stoked by right-wingers posing as BLM folks, and by other opportunists who have nothing to do with BLM. It's also been the case for years that right-wing domestic terrorism is more prevalent here in the States than left-wing terrorism.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The Right has a right to protest, and they do so all the time. They don't have a right to murder us, like Mr. Rittenhouse did.

I can't stand right wing protesters. I can't stand any protesters who stand outside in groups, they're all obnoxious IMO, regardless of party.

It's uncivilized, archaic behavior to me.