• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormon missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Just lately I am having a lot of conversations with Mormons outside of RF. My wife's best friend is a Mormon and her husband has been trying to challenge me on my faith and show me different things from the LDS Church to convince me.

Now one of my bosses has turned out to be LDs and an "ex christian" at that. I had a conversation with her in which she went on to tell me how she came to believe the book of mormon was the truth.

Two days later (today) I have had two mormon missionaries at my door by strange coincidence :) and after a brief chat with my wife they are coming back next Sunday and have left us with a book on the restoration.

Well, I have never had to deal with a missionary before, could anyone tell me what to expect from them? I know my bible very well but is there a particular methodolgy they adopt like the JWs do (end times)?

Any help would be appreciated. I am happy to talk to them and I will try to convert them to the truth in the process.

Bishka

Veteran Member
You know if you post this in the LDS section we can tell you exactly what to expect as we have several return missionaries on the forum that have gone to different countries. They can tell you what the missionaries talk about and what their methods are if you are really that curious. I honestly think it might benefit everyone if we have a discussion on it.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Thanks Becky I will look at that too but I am after a Protestant born again perspective on this.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
*Paul*s in the shower,so he cant answer.
Im guessing its cause he wants to know the thoughts of people who are of the same belief as him.
It should be fun!

Dream Angel

*Paul*s in the shower,so he cant answer.
Im guessing its cause he wants to know the thoughts of people who are of the same belief as him.
It should be fun!

Are you pauls wife? How many married couples are on this forums - its making me feel all left out.....:(

:)

and I have only just this second noticed you are from england! silly me! :)

jonny

I know you're looking for a protestant perspective, but I used to be a missionary in Europe so I have a pretty good idea of what you can expect.

1. Some small talk and chit chat. They'll want to get to know you - especially since religion can be a touchy subject and they'll want to "break the ice" before getting into it.
2. They'll share some of our fundamental beliefs with you, usually on six topics - God and his nature, Jesus Christ, the role of prophets throughout time, the Joseph Smith story, an overview of the Book of Mormon, and the role of the Holy Ghost.
3. As they share our beliefs, they will try to engage you in a conversation about your beliefs. They are not coming to "bible bash" or anything like that. For example, they might share what we believe about God and then ask you what you believe about God. Be honest and don't worry about them trying to debate your beliefs with you because they won't.
4. You will be asked to read a few chapters from the Book of Mormon and may be asked to pray for a testimony of it and Joseph Smith and asked if they can come back in a week or so to follow up and teach another lesson (a.k.a. "Discussion"). They might also invite you to come to church.

When I met with people it rarely lasted more than an hour.

Anyway, that, from the missionary perspective, is what you can expect. I'm sure that you can get different perspectives from others who have been visited by the missionaries.

Dream Angel

I sure am, otherwise i might be done for stalking and spying on people in the shower!!

hehehe! Where abouts in england are you from? Missionaries have never come to my door (until asked!) - I have had one set of JWs and thats it for door to door! Maybe its because Im in the country!

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I know you're looking for a protestant perspective, but I used to be a missionary in Europe so I have a pretty good idea of what you can expect.

1. Some small talk and chit chat. They'll want to get to know you - especially since religion can be a touchy subject and they'll want to "break the ice" before getting into it.
2. They'll share some of our fundamental beliefs with you, usually on six topics - God and his nature, Jesus Christ, the role of prophets throughout time, the Joseph Smith story, an overview of the Book of Mormon, and the role of the Holy Ghost.
3. As they share our beliefs, they will try to engage you in a conversation about your beliefs. They are not coming to "bible bash" or anything like that. For example, they might share what we believe about God and then ask you what you believe about God. Be honest and don't worry about them trying to debate your beliefs with you because they won't.
4. You will be asked to read a few chapters from the Book of Mormon and may be asked to pray for a testimony of it and Joseph Smith and asked if they can come back in a week or so to follow up and teach another lesson (a.k.a. "Discussion"). They might also invite you to come to church.

Anyway, that, from the missionary perspective, is what you can expect. I'm sure that you can get different perspectives from others who have been visited by the missionaries.

Thankyou Jonny, from me and *paul*, thats really helpful and appreciated. Cheers!

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
hehehe! Where abouts in england are you from? Missionaries have never come to my door (until asked!) - I have had one set of JWs and thats it for door to door! Maybe its because Im in the country!

Birmingham. This is our first visit by mormon missionaries. Wev'e already had the JW's round many times and managed to get black listed by them, they can be really nasty, you know. Lets see how this goes!!

Dream Angel

Oh Im even more excited now I have read that!!! Role on next thursday! :D

Dream Angel

Birmingham. This is our first visit by mormon missionaries. Wev'e already had the JW's round many times and managed to get black listed by them, they can be really nasty, you know. Lets see how this goes!!

Birmingham! Your really close - Im worcester - a lot of my family are from the Black Country - Wolverhampton etc. The JWs I had were really shy, didnt come in, just gave me some leaflets and left! Hardly spoke! (Few!!!.....:) ). We live next to a couple of JWs who are really high up in the church - they are really nice, but we dont talk religion! I worked with a JW and she was sweet, but I can tell she was pushing really!

Edit I met my first mormon missionary the other day (they were asked but came without calling first and I was revising) - they were very understanding, and didnt really talk religion, told me where they were from and asked Dad if he needed a hand putting the table together! and two lovely smiles!

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Fun? Trying to tell the LDS missionaries that they are wrong? You consider that fun? :(

Becky their whole visit to me is to tell me that I am wrong, that I am a part of an apostate denomination.

I have just been reading the book they left me, "The restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ", and it says:

This apostasy resulted in the formation of many churches with conflicting techings. During this time, many men and women sought the truth, but they were unable to find it. MAny good people believed in God and Jesus Christ and tried to understand and teach truth, but they did not have the full gospel or priesthood authority. As a result, each generation inherited a state of apostasy as people were influenced by what previous genereations had passed on, including changes in Christs gospel (then quotes amos 8:11-12)...............
Joseph Smith decided to ask God what he should do. When Jospeh prayed to know the truth, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him. Jesus told Joseph not to join any of the churches, for "they were all wrong" and "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof"
(Joseph Smith-History 1:19)
It makes me laugh how they cut out the part where Jesus calls their creeds abominations, don't want to be too offensive no doubt.

So you see they have come to tell me that I am wrong, that I do not have all the truth I need in the bible but that the truth that I lack was revealed to Jospeh Smith and the LDS church hold the keys to it.

My arguements are already forming as I speak.

Dream Angel

Becky their whole visit to me is to tell me that I am wrong, that I am a part of an apostate denomination.

I have just been reading the book they left me, "The restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ", and it says:

This apostasy resulted in the formation of many churches with conflicting techings. During this time, many men and women sought the truth, but they were unable to find it. MAny good people believed in God and Jesus Christ and tried to understand and teach truth, but they did not have the full gospel or priesthood authority. As a result, each generation inherited a state of apostasy as people were influenced by what previous genereations had passed on, including changes in Christs gospel (then quotes amos 8:11-12)...............
Joseph Smith decided to ask God what he should do. When Jospeh prayed to know the truth, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him. Jesus told Joseph not to join any of the churches, for "they were all wrong" and "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof"
(Joseph Smith-History 1:19)
It makes me laugh how they cut out the part where Jesus calls their creeds abominations, don't want to be too offensive no doubt.

So you see they have come to tell me that I am wrong, that I do not have all the truth I need in the bible but that the truth that I lack was revealed to Jospeh Smith and the LDS church hold the keys to it.

My arguements are already forming as I speak.

They wont come if you dont want them too....

Status
Not open for further replies.