• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More guns is obviously the answer...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yep, I shared my thoughts on a forum, resulting in some rustled jimmies.
And people countered that it's just a color and doesn't indicate or reflect a sense of responsibility or lack thereof. Failure to seek safety training is, and it's a far more important issue that the color of a gun.

Good-Ole-Rebel

What shows lack of responsibility is storing it improperly.
The color is irrelevant.
When I become dictator (by fabulous peaceful coup),
strict safe storage practices will become law.

Did you read the article? Do you think this 'mother' would have cared about your 'strict safe storage practices'?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Cooky

Veteran Member
having a pink gun shows that you did't take them seriously enough.

So judging by the color of guns, we can indicate which gun owners take firearms seriously or not... Ooookay... :)

So which color indicates the most responsible gun ownership?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No ****, but I think you're being disingenuous if you claim not to understand how the need to have a "cute" killing instrument comes off as irreverent.
It is a color associated with women/femininity. It shows no more irreverence than pink power tools. Or pink cars.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So judging by the color of guns, we can indicate which gun owners take firearms seriously or not... Ooookay... :)

So which color indicates the most responsible gun ownership?
It's not about the color itself, but the need to have a "cute" or "pretty" gun. Same with those who get "tacticool" gear because they think it makes them bad@ss, or at least look so. Guns aren't cosplay/LARP props.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Again, it's a weapon, not a fashion accessory and should be treated with respect.
While I agree it's not a fashion accessory,
I wouldn't deny them their fashion.
Btw, all guns have their fashion aspect.
I am not immune to this....but I turn my
nose up at garish colors.

Do not obsess over appearance.
Conduct is the issue here.
Be safe.
Act safely.
Store safely.
Be trained.
And did I mention....
Be safe.

Good-Ole-Rebel

It's not about the color itself, but the need to have a "cute" or "pretty" gun. Same with those who get "tacticool" gear because they think it makes them bad@ss, or at least look so. Guns aren't cosplay/LARP props.

Buying a gun is like buying a car. Everyone has different taste in the shape or type or color. Depending on the caliber and type you want there are many shapes, sizes, and colors and they will do the same thing but you buy the one you like the looks, and feel of.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

People can be compelled to store guns safely.
It's a matter of culture & law.

You didn't really answer my question.

Your strict laws are not going to be observed by certain peoples.

Just what kind of 'strict' storage laws would you put in place?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You didn't really answer my question.
I answered the one I wanted to.
Your strict laws are not going to be observed by certain peoples.
I don't expect perfection....just improvement.
Just what kind of 'strict' storage laws would you put in place?
Good-Ole-Rebel
Speaking generally (details to be worked out over time once I become dictator)....
If one isn't carrying a gun, it belongs in secure storage.
Legislation should achieve that goal, while still....
- Enabling rapid access for defense.
- Avoiding undue cost.
- Avoiding undue difficulty in training.

If one is to own guns, one should become part of a culture
(thru training) wherein safety practices become ingrained ritual.
When I shot competitively in high school, spending time on a range
with formal procedures was good. With that background, I've
counselled many other owners on better practices.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I answered the one I wanted to.

I don't expect perfection....just improvement.

Speaking generally (details to be worked out over time once I become dictator)....
If one isn't carrying a gun, it belongs in secure storage.
Legislation should achieve that goal, while still....
- Enabling rapid access for defense.
- Avoiding undue cost.
- Avoiding undue difficulty in training.

If one is to own guns, one should become part of a culture
(thru training) wherein safety practices become ingrained ritual.
When I shot competitively in high school, spending time on a range
with formal procedures was good. With that background, I've
counselled many other owners on better practices.

You didn't answer either. The person in the article wouldn't have cared one wit about your strict legislation. How does anyone even know if this woman didn't shoot the child herself and then blame it on accident.

Whatever 'secure storage' you have in mind is not going to enable 'rapid access for defense'. It is going to hinder it.

Then, you have a homeowner killed by an intruder because they couldn't get to their gun fast enough. I know...more legislation. We must make strict laws that require the intruder to wait till the homeowner gets his gun unlocked and loaded and ready to fire before he proceeds to kill him.

That would be a good law, don't you think?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You didn't answer either. The person in the article wouldn't have cared one wit about your strict legislation.
I think you're just missing my answer.
Culture & legislation will alter people's behavior.
If she were trained in gun handling & storage as a prerequisite
for ownership she'd more likely exercise safe behavior.
And there would be legal sanctions for improper conduct.

By analogy, we have people who don't care about driving drunk.
But laws keep them in line more than not having laws.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I think you're just missing my answer.
Culture & legislation will alter people's behavior.
If she were trained in gun handling & storage as a prerequisite
for ownership she'd more likely exercise safe behavior.
And there would be legal sanctions for improper conduct.

By analogy, we have people who don't care about driving drunk.
But laws keep them in line more than not having laws.

Just because you replied doesn't mean you answered any questions. You didn't. You just ignore that which stands against your comments. just like you ignored the majority of my last post and wouldn't answer the question there either.

You think, for some reason, your wisdom and opinion is beyond reproach and that itself should satisfy. But it doesn't.

You are correct in this however....you would make an excellent dictator.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The person in the article wouldn't have cared one wit about your strict legislation.
That is an assumption that is just as poor as assuming she is irresponsible just because her gun is pink.
As seen by the anti-gun culture!!!!!
As seen by those who realize there is a serious problem with thinking a gun a first solution and have no problems with people not having to be trained to use a gun and safely handle them before being allowed to own one. The "good guy with a gun" is also a fantasy, cause more often than not it doesn't work out fast enough and we need solutions to reduce that need in the first place. Gun ownership keeps going up, but it isn't making us more safe.

Cooky

Veteran Member

You're wrong. A lot of people are just gun collectors, who rarely ever shoot them at all, but keep them as part of a collection.

...Who knows what someone might choose to add to their collection. There is no right or wrong, or more responsible choice.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're wrong. A lot of people are just gun collectors, who rarely ever shoot them at all, but keep them as part of a collection.

...Who knows what someone might choose to add to their collection. There is no right or wrong, or more responsible choice.
Safe storage requirements are a reasonable burden for someone who only displays their firearms and never shoots them.