• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morality of the Old Testament

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Do we know of anyone else who was in Asia claiming to be an Apostle but was not? I don't think so.
Your thinking is too narrow. There are many including Roman rulers that may fit.
Don't forget that Paul teachings differ from what Jesus taught in the gospels.

By far most if not 98% of all Christians regardless of denomination would emphatically disagree, Paul's letters are in virtually all Bibles and regarded as scripture.

Personally from my perspective the whole Bible is without provenance and Christianity is torn asunder by contradictory beliefs each rejecting everyone else.

jimb

Premium Member
Your thinking is too narrow. There are many including Roman rulers that may fit.

By far most if not 98% of all Christians regardless of denomination would emphatically disagree, Paul's letters are in virtually all Bibles and regarded as scripture.

Personally from my perspective the whole Bible is without provenance and Christianity is torn asunder by contradictory beliefs each rejecting everyone else.
God's truth is God's truth. Those who don't understand it don't understand it, as the truth is revealed by God.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty[pangouros], I caught you with guile[dolo].
2 Corinthians 12:16, KJV

And so be it. I have not burdened you, but instead, being astute, I obtained you by guile.
Catholic Public Domain Version

Cognate: 3835 panoúrgos – properly, a person doing anything to get their way ("anything it takes"). 3935 /paríēmi ("crafty-fellow") is used only in 2 Cor 12:16 where it describes a scoundrel (an unscrupulous person) who will do any evil to "succeed." See 3834 (panourgia).

1388 dólos – properly, bait; (figuratively) deceit (trickery) using bait to alure ("hook") people, especially those already festering in excessive, emotional pain (brought on by themselves).

Also it's implied by the difference between what he said happened on the road to Damascus and what was reported in Acts 9.

And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: [it is] hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord [said] unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Acts 9:5-6

And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Acts 26:15-18
Well. I'll need to study this more but so far, I am sorry, I just don't see disparity or deceit.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
From your research, which passages of the writing from that region of that era show the strongest most obvious correspondence to the Hebrew Bible?
Asking me for specifics? My references deal with the specifics in detail citing the Torah, Dead Sea scrolls, and the Nag Hammadi, and Canaanite literature and comparing the texts. I could not any more specific than already cited.

I will say in general: (1) The Genesis and Noah's Flood story is is evolved text from Sumerian texts, (2) As referenced the Psalms have Canaanite/Ugarit roots. as compilation from different sources, (3) (As per referenced The Dead Sea scroll, Torah and Nag Hammadi documents) have common roots before the compilation of the Pentateuch. (4) The Hebrews were a Canaanite tribe with roots of their language, religious beliefs, and culture found in the vast texts found in Canaanite libraries.

My references have the specifics.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

I don't even know what his culture is.

He explains it up above. It has something to do with the objective nature of his culture vs the subjective natures of most other cultures.

I did try to point out above several times that his culture is not the only culture that does that.

Mostly, he uses it to deny Black history.

I can only suppose that the struggle against slavery was not a holy cause to him, so he’s trying to project his own religion onto Black cultures who fought in those wars.

Last edited:

Ebionite

Well. I'll need to study this more but so far, I am sorry, I just don't see disparity or deceit.
Dolos means deceit. Dolos is translated as guile in 2 Cor 12:16.

1388 dólos – properly, bait; (figuratively) deceit (trickery) using bait to alure ("hook") people, especially those already festering in excessive, emotional pain (brought on by themselves).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He explains it up above. It has something to do with the objective nature of his culture vs the subjective natures of most other cultures.

I did try to point out above several times that his culture is not the only culture that does that.

Mostly, he uses it to deny Black history.

I can only suppose that the struggle against slavery was not a holy cause to him, so he’s trying to project his own religion onto Black cultures who fought in those wars.
I don't get to know some posters.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

I don't get to know some posters.

It’s a cultural and religious characteristic that I’m interested in, due to my interest in afropatiana history, so I tend to notice it when I see it.

Notice how this hymn isn’t just an ordinary hymn, but rather, it’s the best hymn in the world.

I run into this sort of thing a lot.

Incidentally, that mountain at 1:10 is located at the center of the world, the Axis Mundi, where heaven meets earth and hell.

When it comes to religion here in America, it’s location, location, location.

El Mejor Himno Del Mundo Vídeo Oficial del Himno Al​

Patìa​

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yours presumes your superior objectivity.

Remember....
You're the guy who extensively argued
with me that I'm a creationist. (I'm still not.)
So your objectivity & judgment are highly suspect.
Your 78 LP has a crack in it. Not the subject of the thread. Please respond to the topic.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The snake story is a obvious lie
The snake story is part of an ancient evolved myth, and of course obviously not true, though unfortunately many people believe ancient myths are true and not by definition a lie, just deluded and conditioned to believe mostly when they are young .

Though not being able to distinguish from ancient myths and reality may be symptoms of "mental illness."

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Dolos means deceit. Dolos is translated as guile in 2 Cor 12:16.

OK sorry but I still don't see the problem.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I did.
You made objectivity the subject.
Yes, and you failed to make a coherent response.
I responded.
Do you now object to the topic you introduced?
Not really, you selectively Ducked, Bobbed and Weaseled off topic.

Yes, The Old Testament Morality of the thousands of years war between Judaism, Christianity and Islam

You are taking one side and not acknowledging that ALL players are massively backrolled by sever sources even oil money.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, and you failed to make a coherent response.
I think you failed to make a coherent inference.

How long should we keep this up?
Planning to accuse me of being
a creationist again....the rarest kind
of atheist?
Should it go as far as my listing
your personal faults?
I don't see this as productive.

Ajax

??? Did you read the text? Like whom?
Were they any Roman rulers claiming to be Christian Apostles???
And don't forget that Paul's journey brought him to Ephesus where he stayed for 2 years and 3 months. Also he admitted that all who were in Asia turned away from him and had to defend himself by saying that he was not lying.
Of course they would, but that's an argument ad populum, a fallacious argument which is based on claiming a truth or affirming something is good because many people think so.
I agree.

Last edited: