• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Dilemma (fiction)

Just_me_Mike

You are an intelligence officer for the Navy. You are traveling in Iraq when your convoy is attacked. Everyone in your convoy is killed, but you remain. You are taken to an underground cell, with no hope of anyone finding you or hearing your screams.

Your captor explains that you are going to experience lots of pain, and if cooperation is given the pain can be less. This is explained as you are strapped to a small metal chair, placed in an empty room with only a table before you, a chalk board, and a video camera pointed at you.

The captor begins talking about the war and how sad it is so many innocents are dying, and how the American public would never stand for this in their country. He begins taping photos on the chalkboard of 2 children who have been crushed in a building, suffering massive bone breaking and then died. You guess they are aged under 10 years old. You are asked if you recognize the photos, and as you say no, the captor says it is his children. You are allowed to sit overnight, knowing that your fate is grim.

The next day, you are awaken, to the site of a small boy in front of you, and the captor speaking in English so the child won't understand. He explains that he is going to kill the boy, by breaking his bones. He explains the American people will watch, and see up close what it is like to lose a child in such a cold way. You are then offered a choice. If you give the address of your wife and child or children and allow them to be killed by your captors counterpart, and allow that killing to be recorded as well, he will not kill the child in front of you.

You also have to plead to the camera for your captor to please kill your family to save this Iraqi child. You decide to give a fake address to buy some time and your captor quickly finds this out and he kills the kid before you as you pass out. Upon awaking, you now have a little girl in front of you.

So, what do you do? What would you expect the American public would want you to do?

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Yikes.. I know it is a little long people, but this is a tough dilemma to be in, will no one answer for it?

Also MODS, can you change my title to the correct spelling of dilemma? :facepalm:
Thanks!

PhAA

Grand Master
Give them the address, they won't be able to enter the US without getting caught first anyway. lol

Just_me_Mike

BTW, I am borrowing this situation from a book I am reading. I didn't think it necessary to cite the reference, but then again rules are rules.
Book is The Boneman's Daughters By Ted Dekker.

Just_me_Mike

I wouldn't give him any address. Simple as that.
That is strong of you, as you witness the pattern before you of him killing innocent children one after the other, until an address is provided. I don't think I could do that either.
I personally don't have an answer to what I would do. It is even hard for me to imagine.

Just_me_Mike

:sorry1: I didn't know. I guess I won't give the address. That way, only one will die, rather than two or more (my family). This excluding the kid that's already dead.
No you don't get it, the captor will keep killing kids in front of you and on the video for the US to see, until you give up your family.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Realistically, I probably would avoid giving any address for as long as I could. And then I would give in. Hard to say for sure.

Either way, the American public - or any public - doesn't really have any right to judge anyone's behavior under such extreme, punishing circunstances. But I guess they would still wish people to keep giving either no address or no valid address for as long as possible.

Just_me_Mike

Either way, the American public - or any public - doesn't really have any right to judge anyone's behavior under such extreme, punishing circunstances. But I guess they would still wish people to keep giving either no address or no valid address for as long as possible.
You think the public would want to keep giving bad addresses as the captor kills kids in front of the officer?
To be clear, every time a bad address is given, the captor present another child and kills them by breaking their bones, to mimic his children dying from the missiles.

Also, the officer has to plead for him to kill his family instead of the Iraqi child, that is part of the deal.

Just_me_Mike

What if I give a valid address which isn't mine?
Bottom line is the killing doesn;t stop until you either commit suicide, which is impossible if you are strapped properly, you allow him to kill your family, or he runs out of kids to kill from the streets of Iraq.

Also, the goal here is to bring awareness to Americans of how it feels to have your children innocently killed wholesale style. It is brutal but effective.

From the lack of responses, I'd say there is no correct answer here, and forces us to look deep inside ourselves. I found it quite a problem, and I still have no answer for it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Seriously speaking, i am trying to imagine myself in such a situation, and trying to get me to give the address of my family this way just won't do it. It won't work, ever. Period.

You may think of me as weird, but this dilemma is as easy to me as choosing what i will have for dinner tonight.

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Seriously speaking, i am trying to imagine myself in such a situation, and trying to get me to give the address of my family this way just won't do it. It won't work, ever. Period.
So you value your family more than countless children he will kill to get you to give up your family.
See that is where I get hung up, cause I know if I sacrifice my family lots of kids will live.
I also see that by doing this the American public might demand and end to the war, I mean like REALLY demand it. How many of those scenarios are the American public willing to witness?
Iraqi fathers witness it daily, seeing their children and wives die randomly.

It is a powerful lesson, within the horror of this idea.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You think the public would want to keep giving bad addresses as the captor kills kids in front of the officer?

I'm willing to assume that they would want that nightmare to stop. Beyond that, who knows? I don't see how one could be held accountable to whatever one did or felt under such extreme duress.

To be clear, every time a bad address is given, the captor present another child and kills them by breaking their bones, to mimic his children dying from the missiles.

And I am sure that would make most people - nearly all, really - really sick and disgusted. But to expect people to actually prefer to give up on trying to protect their own spouses and children is a bit too much IMO. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but it is a difficult bet. People have a hard time indeed accepting danger of life or limb to their loved ones.

Also, the officer has to plead for him to kill his family instead of the Iraqi child, that is part of the deal.

You will agree with me that both options are essentially beyond unnacceptable, won't you?

Just_me_Mike

You will agree with me that both options are essentially beyond unnacceptable, won't you?
And I have done so a few times in the thread already.
What it makes me think though is if this was done just a couple times to the American public, it would bring us to our knees, and force us to pull out of Iraq, or wherever they would want us out of.
It is such a barbaric stranglehold to have us in, I see no other recourse but to pull out.
I would suspect the American media would not be allowed to air this, so the option of pulling out would never come to fruition.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would tell him to go ahead and kill the kid in front of me because I enjoy watching them die. Not that I actually do, but if he believed it he probably wouldn't kill the kid as it wouldn't serve his purpose and would hopefully just kill me instead rather than anyone else.