• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheism or Polytheism?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The universe is nothing more than a collection of crude matter. If you wish to call crude divisible matter God of course that's your choice, but the universe is quite an uncaring place, so you would be having adoration for something which will ultimately destroy you without the slightest concern or care, and that strikes me as an oddity.
Well, if you choose to look at it in a negative way, that's on you. But there's two sides to that coin. You wouldn't exist at all without the universe and you are made of that "crude matter" that came from the death of stars. The Cosmos provides everything we need to exist and survive, even though our lifespans aren't that long, so that's hardly "uncaring" in my book. Yes, we all will die someday as even the planets and stars do, but that is the cycle of nature and we should be grateful to even have a chance to experience it even for a moment.

Sometimes it's a matter of perspective, imo.

Yazata

Monotheism seems to be a common idea throughout human evolution

I'm not sure. Historically, it seems to have blossomed in the latter half of the first millennium BCE.

which makes perfect sense to me. I suppose we could deify other aspects of life, which people have done, but I don't see the purpose in it.

Doing so seems to complicate the matter of Spirituality, in my opinion.

That's an advantage of polytheism in my opinion. The various gods all seem to personify various aspects of reality and of human life. There are storm deities and fertility deities. There are gods of cool reason and gods of fiery passion. And just in human experience, sometimes these principles of experienced reality can work at cross-purposes and contradict each other. Life and death, creation and destruction.

I suppose the question for you is, do you prefer one God or many Gods? Also, why do you believe polytheism exists/existed?

Well, I'm an agnostic. The only sort of God that I find plausible is a very abstract metaphysical God of the sort that one encounters in natural theology. We ask what seem like the most fundamental questions: what explains the order that reality seems to display (from the "laws" of nature to logic and mathematics)? And the ultimate question: Why does existence exist in the first place?

I don't really know whether those kind of questions even make sense, but they've always kind of motivated me. I certainly don't know whether they have any answer, let alone converge on one single divine answer. (I'm not even sure what divinity means, apart from a transcendental feeling of some sort.) But the traditional cosmological arguments seem to work that way.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have included a music video for your listening pleasure while you contemplate the questions above.
It does not require any contemplation, the fact being that there are many Gods and Goddesses, there numbers going into thousands.
Many villages have their own Gods or Goddesses in India.
My beliefs do not matter, I do not believe even in one, I do not believe even in a creation.

img_4268.jpg

THOD

The House of Death
I'm saying that neither the monotheist (in this case me) nor the pantheist think critically.

But both of these statements are demonstrable using critical thought process because neither is there any evidence for a single supreme ruler that is both omnipotent and omniscient, nor is there any evidence that the universe has a consciousness, a will etc.

The universe is nothing more than a collection of crude matter. If you wish to call crude divisible matter God of course that's your choice, but the universe is quite an uncaring place, so you would be having adoration for something which will ultimately destroy you without the slightest concern or care, and that strikes me as an oddity.

I think we're referring to the same term with different colorings, which is maybe why I am having a hard time understanding you.
Specifically, I think I'm using the word "critically" more loosely so as to mean "with questioning" while perhaps you're using it to mean "logically" or "scientifically?"

firedragon

Veteran Member
Monotheism seems to be a common idea throughout human evolution, which makes perfect sense to me. I suppose we could deify other aspects of life, which people have done, but I don't see the purpose in it. Doing so seems to complicate the matter of Spirituality, in my opinion.

I suppose the question for you is, do you prefer one God or many Gods? Also, why do you believe polytheism exists/existed?

I have included a music video for your listening pleasure while you contemplate the questions above.

Actually, I have heard scholars say that there is not much evidence of monotheism prior to around 5,000 years from today in history. Thats historically. Yet, one could also argue that in most monotheistic faiths, there were no symbols to have any archeological evidence. No statues to find. Thus, is the lack of evidence, evidence? But about historical religious beliefs I would suggest that we should not make assumptions. Believing monotheism existed so long ago is a faith statement. Its purely based on faith, at least so far.

Well, I shall say that Monotheism sounds more reasonable to me and that maybe faith driven. I would like to think its reason based.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Monotheism seems to be a common idea throughout human evolution, which makes perfect sense to me. I suppose we could deify other aspects of life, which people have done, but I don't see the purpose in it. Doing so seems to complicate the matter of Spirituality, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what is your idea of "monotheism"?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Monotheism is a God that suffers from loneliness, and lack of equal friendship. That can't be a good thing.

Sharing the everlasting to everlasting infinite everywhere is a job for many Gods.

One Truth, endless knowledge, you need polytheism for sanity sake.

I had been brainwashed to think monotheistic ally though! But does it make any sense that One God has endless power and control. That's too much to juggle. At least a Mrs. God would make things more agreeable. Perhaps a God family, and some God peers and then that would make for a fun existence.

lukethethird

unknown member
Monotheism or Polytheism?
Personally, I don't have a preference, and that is probably because I can't see what difference it makes.

Gargovic Malkav

Monotheism is a God that suffers from loneliness, and lack of equal friendship. That can't be a good thing.

Monotheism isn't about a God with necessities in my view. If God was lonely and in need of company, it would mean that loneliness has power over Him. But that would prove His lack of omnipotence, making Loneliness a separate deity.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At least a Mrs. God would make things more agreeable. Perhaps a God family, and some God peers and then that would make for a fun existence.
Shiva, Mother Parvati, sons, Ganesha and Kartikeya and their mounts; bull, lion, peacock, mouse. Not in the image - Other Gods Vishnu, Brahma, etc. Also daughter-in-laws: Riddhi and Siddhi for Ganesha, and Valli and Devasena for Kartikeya. That will come later, the sons are still too young to marry.
Lord_shiva_with_family_Painting.jpg

A common mistake in the image. Shiva has elephant skin for his upper body wear and not the tiger skin. Tiger skin is what he sits on.
IMG_20200313_151736.jpg

Shiva family with other Gods, Goddeses, kings and sages (Partho Mondal). Lord Vishnu and Mother Lakshmi to the left of Shiva. Four-headed Brahma right behind Shiva. Mounts Nandi (bull) for Shiva and Garuda (Eagle) for Lord Vishnu.

Last edited:

ajay0

Contrary to popular opinion, there is a monotheistic philosophy and sects in Hinduism too similar to the Abrahamic religions.

They are the Lingayats, Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, Kabir Panthis and Prajapita Brahmakumaris. Sikhism is also a Dharmic religion that is monotheistic.

These sects state that the gods and goddesses are but prophets or angels who are subservient to the one God.

Just as God is associated with auspiciousness, the angels and prophets are also associated with auspiciousness, and this is why they too were worshipped in some other religions.