• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monotheism and Atheism, What if both are Correct?

jhwatts

Just like humans and theirs lower organisms (cells); what if the earth made of its lifeforms that enable its cognizance? I mean if humans are made up of just cells and our consciousness is simply the result of them interacting together then the earth itself could be the same way. We cant communicate with our lower organism and maybe the earth cant communicate with us. What if it just gets larger and the galaxy and all its lower lifeforms enable it in a similar fashion and such the cosmos itself.

Maybe the cosmos itself would be God being highest in capacity as it is made up of lower lifeforms.

So maybe God exist on a scale of infinite capacity as thought by many. So maybe monotheist have it correct. Yet atheist attribute their existence to the cosmos. Does this mean they are actually Atheist? I mean they attribute their life existence to the cosmos and and would be effectively be their life-giver (God) and so they are not really an atheist.

Maybe monotheist and atheist both worship the same God.

Just saying.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Just like humans and theirs lower organisms (cells); what if the earth made of its lifeforms that enable its cognizance? I mean if humans are made up of just cells and our consciousness is simply the result of them interacting together then the earth itself could be the same way. We cant communicate with our lower organism and maybe the earth cant communicate with us. What if it just gets larger and the galaxy and all its lower lifeforms enable it in a similar fashion and such the cosmos itself.

Maybe the cosmos itself would be God being highest in capacity as it is made up of lower lifeforms.

So maybe God exist on a scale of infinite capacity as thought by many. So maybe monotheist have it correct. Yet atheist attribute their existence to the cosmos. Does this mean they are actually Atheist? I mean they attribute their life existence to the cosmos and and would be effectively be their life-giver (God) and so they are not really an atheist.

Just saying.
Well "God" can be used as a representative term. I don't suspect anything is created or is responsible for creation anyways, just a continuum of variables which rearranges through consistent rising and falling of form and substance.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Just saying.

:confused: Atheists attribute their exists as many of origins as the people on earth. I am an atheist; and, I don't know what "The Cosmos" is. I do not agree anything needs to be higher for us to give reverence to it or a person living, spirit, nature, and/or thing. I disagree that anyone "gives" life. Life exists in and of itself. I'd say cells are higher organisms and we are lower because we think too much when every other living animal, planet, cell, whatever, keeps it quite simple and to the point. Though I don't like the higher/lower point of view. Hence, why god isn't quite part of my vocabulary.

If an atheist is an atheist by strict definition, he cannot worship the same "God" as monotheist because he believes god does not exist in any shape, fashion, or form. What a theist believes, an a-theist believes the opposite. Whether it be panentheism, polytheism, or whatever theism. If there is a deit(ies) involved, atheist believe the opposite. By strict definition.

To say they believe in any god is an Oxymoron.

I'm an atheist in the strict definition of the word. What is a god of any monotheist religion so I can compare what I believe is the same as what a monotheist believe?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Just saying.

Atheists don't worship. Well unless maybe some material worship fetish.
IMO the point of being an atheist is to not accept God as being the answer to any question.

"God created the universe", "It was God's will", "God told me to do it". "Everything happens for a reason", implying according to God's plan.

The problem being, these "answers" can't be validated and they stop us from trying to discover a cause which can be validated.

Being an atheist to me means God is not an answer I'll accept. That certainly doesn't mean I know everything. It only means that I'll keep questioning until an answer is found that can be validated.

Obviously, you can believe the truth about God can be anything you can imagine since anything you say about God can't be verified.

As an atheist, I'd say any claims you offer which can't be validated can't be accepted as an answer to any question.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Just saying.

This sounds like Baruch Spinoza

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Just saying.
Maybe I have a long lost billionaire uncle that just bequeathed all his property to me.

Just saying..
:D

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Atheists, in the simplest definition, don't worship a god because they don't believe one exists. To irreligous scientifically-minded atheist, the cosmos/universe/vastness of space (whatever you want to call it) is a collection of atoms interacting with fundamental laws. (Yes, there atheistic religions).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Just saying.

It seems like you are redefining monotheism, to be honest.
But there are certainly beliefs on the theistic scale that are pretty compatible with atheism in terms of practical impact.

Pantheism would be a better example of what you're talking about, imho.

Not suggesting pantheism and atheism are the same, in any sense. But if you believe nothing is divine, or everything is divine, there is a certain level of synergy, in terms of your belief that all things have equal validity in the universe.

jhwatts

Well "God" can be used as a representative term. I don't suspect anything is created or is responsible for creation anyways, just a continuum of variables which rearranges through consistent rising and falling of form and substance.

Food for thought. Are we as humans responsible for the creation (voluntary or involuntary) of lower life forms in our own bodies, meaning complex cellular structures Does what exist in our own bodies depend on what we eat, drink, if we exercise, or even if we are exposed to large quantities on ionizing radiation? If the answer is yes, then we as a person are responsible for the creation of those complex structures.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe I have a long lost billionaire uncle that just bequeathed all his property to me.

Just saying..
:D

I know this is hypothetical, but still worth letting you know, I am very good at helping people who've suddenly been bequeathed a lot of property in terms of...err...property management. I'm also good at ensuring the engine gets turned over on the 100 or so cars he probably left you in the hypothetical garages.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Just saying.
On the other hand, asking questions that are essentially unanswerable doesn't really seem to accomplish much. How much does Thursday weigh, in troy ounces?

Sapiens

Polymathematician

Just saying.
'cept atheists don't believe nor do they worship.

Twilight Hue

Food for thought. Are we as humans responsible for the creation (voluntary or involuntary) of lower life forms in our own bodies, meaning complex cellular structures Does what exist in our own bodies depend on what we eat, drink, if we exercise, or even if we are exposed to large quantities on ionizing radiation? If the answer is yes, then we as a person are responsible for the creation of those complex structures.
I dunno. What exactly defines a "lower" life-form if everything is comprised of atoms?

Twilight Hue

How about we definitely any life form (including lower life forms) as some atomic structure that can voluntarily modify the environment it lives in?

It's pretty hard to tell I think, whenever it involves dynamics.

jhwatts

It's pretty hard to tell I think, whenever it involves dynamics.
Ok fine. How about we definite it as a lower life form only if it's able to modify it's environment chemically. We can call it advance if it can modify it's environment through the use of chemicials or by a mechanical means like a hand.

HonestJoe

Anything is possible, though there’s zero evidence that what you describe is the case. I’d also question the practicality of calling such a consciousness “God” given how many conflicting definitions that label already has. If you’re proposing a new idea, why not give it a new name to avoid confusion?

Not all monotheists worship the same god as each other and atheists don’t worship gods at all. You can’t assert that “God is X” and then claim that everyone who identifies something as God is actually talking about your definition.