• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed and Slavery

Tambourine

There's plenty of 'slavery' in the world. I don't know that any of it happens openly. Rather it is denied publicly, but proven statistically. Of course the definition of slavery has changed in time and slavery doesn't look anymore like it did 3000 years ago.
Okay, so we're not just talking about slavery, but about exploitative or coercive labor practices.

Do you actually think that these are in any way exclusive to predominantly Muslim countries, or a uniquely Muslim problem?

Piculet

Okay, so we're not just talking about slavery, but about exploitative or coercive labor practices.

Do you actually think that these are in any way exclusive to predominantly Muslim countries, or a uniquely Muslim problem?
No. North Korea is a well known example of something else. I have no idea if there is slavery of some kind in Muslim majority countries or what it's like if there is. But I also have never seen evidence that the law of slavery is somehow no longer applicable which is why the argument that "there is still slavery" seems futile to begin with (if the law is still applicable).

Tambourine

No. North Korea is a well known example of something else. I have no idea if there is slavery of some kind in Muslim majority countries or what it's like if there is. But I also have never seen evidence that the law of slavery is somehow no longer applicable which is why the argument that "there is still slavery" seems futile to begin with (if the law is still applicable).
Would you believe me if I told you that exploitative and coercive labor practices exist in Western and predominantly Christian countries?

Mike.Hester

I don't understand this question. It isn't long ago that Christians, for instance, had slaves.

Is it slavery or racism that we're talking about?

You're not answering my question at all.
I do know that some Catholics did own slaves as well as Protestants.But what religion other than the religion of peace sponsored slavery from the 7th century on? I have done some preliminary research and I can only find that the Mexican Aztecs had slavery but it is not clear if it was part of their official religion or the slaves were only used for human sacrifice. Slavery and racism are like ham and eggs, they mix real good. Remember the religion of peace was from the 7th century on, and prior such religions like Zoroastrian had slaves.

Piculet

I do know that some Catholics did own slaves as well as Protestants.But what religion other than the religion of peace sponsored slavery from the 7th century on? I have done some preliminary research and I can only find that the Mexican Aztecs had slavery but it is not clear if it was part of their official religion or the slaves were only used for human sacrifice. Slavery and racism are like ham and eggs, they mix real good. Remember the religion of peace was from the 7th century on, and prior such religions like Zoroastrian had slaves.
do you think that Christians didn't have slaves before 7th century or after it?

Mike.Hester

Yes there are accounts of Catholic Bishops owning slaves, but their act was not official dogma or sanctioned by the pope..Islam officially sanctions and encourages slavery.

Piculet

Tambourine

What exactly is special about the 7th century?

In the 14th and 15th century, slaves worked the Italian sugar plantations in the Levant (mostly on Crete and Cyprus, if I remember correctly). From the 15th century on, West Africa became the primary supply area for European slave traders, and after the discovery and colonization of the Americas, the Transatlantic slave trade became a cornerstone of the European merchant economy until the 19th century.

If I remember correctly, slavery was also relatively common in the Eastern Roman Empire, although I believe its economic and cultural importance was in decline during the Middle Ages.

Last edited:

Mike.Hester

I don't know which that is supposed to explain, but I'm not going to waste my time reading that. If you know what you're talking about, you should able to explain it in your own words easily.
That is the problem here, most people rely on emotion and not on facts. The fact is the religion of peace deserves to be castigated just like all of those Confederate monuments that have been torn down for its role in more than 1000 years of nearly unabated slavery.

Tambourine

That is the problem here, most people rely on emotion and not on facts. The fact is the religion of peace deserves to be castigated just like all of those Confederate monuments that have been torn down for its role in more than 1000 years of nearly unabated slavery.
What monuments to slavery in predominantly Muslim countries have been built in the United States since 1865?

Mike.Hester

I really do not understand your question. I think none, because it is a religious crime to erect such a sculpture. Remember Charlie in Paris?

Tambourine

I really do not understand your question. I think none, because it is a religious crime to erect such a sculpture. Remember Charlie in Paris?
You referred to the monuments to Confederate figures in the US - monuments to the glories of slaveholders which are numerous and widespread. You compared them to Islam, which has no monuments to slavers or slavery, as far as we know.

So in short: One side, American white supremacism, is being castigated for erecting monuments to slavery - the other side, Islam, has not erected any such monuments, and therefore receives no such castigation.

Where exactly do you see the injustice here?

Mike.Hester

Tam it is against Shira Law to Erect statues of any thing which is Islamic related. Remember Charlie Herdo in France or the Danish cartoons?? You will be sought and killed.

Tambourine

Again, where do you see a specific injustice that is being perpetrated by only toppling factually existing statues of slavers?

Mike.Hester

Tambourine..I support the Democratic process in the removal of statues and memorials,not mob rule. The injustice is when a mob gets out of control.

Mike.Hester

A book which endorses slaver,among other things, should it be viewed with caution, or do we close our eyes and say "it is alright".The comparison was made with people tearing down statues of past slave owners; why should the religion of peace have a special status? Should an ideology which promotes slavery also be torn down?