• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mohammed and Slavery

Please provide me with a citation concerning Paul´s views on slavery. It is so obvious that everyone is making excuses for the prophet of peace to own slaves. Again, a double standard. My suggestion to to think about the racism everyone is complaining about and its roots in slavery. Here is citation which is easy to read. Islamic views on slavery - Wikipedia

You don't know about the story where Paul tells an escaped slave to go back to their abusive master? You're not an Anti-Christian atheist? Interesting.

1 Peter 2:18
You who are slaves must submit to your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you—not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would show to Christ.

1 Timothy 6:1
All who are under the yoke of slavery should regard their masters as fully worthy of honor, so that God's name and our teaching will not be discredited.

Ephesians 6:5-7
Slaves, be obedient to them that areyour masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; …

Colossians 3:22-25
Slaves, obey in all things yourmasters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: …

1 Timothy 6:1-3
Let as many slaves as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed

How Christian Slaveholders Used the Bible to Justify Slavery

Qur'an:
Islamic views on slavery - Wikipedia

Since the Qur'an calls the releasing of slaves a good deed it encourahes it, its view is different from the Pro-Slavery and Slaves Returning to Cruel Masters New Testament Biblical view.

It is encouraged to release slaves and marry slaves which then gives them new status in society.

None of that matters to you though, so why should we worry about such things? Lets talk about how very old books you like to believe in (why do you believe in made up stories? Do you think Muhammed split the moon? So why do you believe the stories from the Hadith? Is it because you like to believe such things so you can point out how ugly and wicked your perceived enemies and threats are?) say that Muhammed and Muslims are ugly and evil monsters.

Maybe you don't know the God of the "Religion of SURRENDER and SLAVERY" but that God supposedly is just waiting to watch you roast in hell for all eternity. Not merciful as in "omni-benevolent", but luckily, there is no God, so why worry?

What must frighten you more than a non-existent God are the barking "dog-like-apes" (Muslims were described as dog-like since some of the earliest writings against them) you have an intense hatred for based on the scary tv.

If all Muslims were like that though, you would already be dead with all the hate drained out of you, since there are billions of these freaks surrounding you and around every corner, perhaps just itching to stab you repeatedly and leave you in a ditch, screaming "Blood for the Blood God!" or is that Warhammer? I think your fantasies are not too far fetched really, because if I had my way, I'd make you a eunuch and you would make me a sammich. Yet, you're an anarchist surely, because you don't believe in the Bible which tells you to not fight back against your enemies or resist, but to give me more, two sammiches when I ask for one! Four even! Oh how generous! Yet an Atheist thinks that is a lost and a waste! Godless! Had you given me a sammich, I may have relented, and four, I may have weeped! Little dost thou know of the human heart!

Please provide me with a citation concerning Paul´s views on slavery. It is so obvious that everyone is making excuses for the prophet of peace to own slaves. Again, a double standard. My suggestion to to think about the racism everyone is complaining about and its roots in slavery. Here is citation which is easy to read. Islamic views on slavery - Wikipedia

Did you read it yourself? Don't say that you did, but your sins don't get recorded so I guess you can lie:

90:12
Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Ascent is! -
90:13
It is the freeing of a slave

"
The mainstream view is that the Quran accepts the institution of slavery. The word 'abd' (slave) is rarely used, being more commonly replaced by some periphrasis such as ma malakat aymanukum ("that which your right hands own"). However the meaning and translation of this term has been disputed. W.G. Clarence-Smith has highlighted the point of view of Ghulam Ahmed Pervez on this issue, who argued that the term is used in the past-tense in the Quran, thus signalling only those individuals who were already enslaved at the dawn of Islam. This slight change in tense is significant, as it allowed G.A. Parwez to argue that slavery was never compatible with the commandments of the Quran and is in fact outlawed by Quranic Law.[25]

The mainstream view; however, is that the Qur'an recognizes the basic inequality between master and slave and the rights of the former over the latter. The historian Brunschvig states that from a spiritual perspective, "the slave has the same value as the free man, and the same eternity is in store for his soul; in this earthly life, failing emancipation, there remains the fact of his inferior status, to which he must piously resign himself."[5][26]

According to Lewis, the Quran urges kindness to the slave[27] and recommends their liberation by purchase or manumission. The freeing of slaves is recommended both for the expiation of sins[28] and as an act of simple benevolence.[29] It exhorts masters to allow slaves to earn or purchase their own freedom (manumission contracts)."[30]

Slaves are mentioned in at least twenty-nine verses of the Qur'an, most of these are Medinan and refer to the legal status of slaves. The legal material on slavery in the Qur'an is largely restricted to manumission and sexual relations.[21] According to Sikainga, the Qur'anic references to slavery as mainly contain "broad and general propositions of an ethical nature rather than specific legal formulations."[31]

The Quran accepts the distinction between slave and free as part of the natural order and uses this distinction as an example of God's grace,[32] regarding this discrimination between human beings as in accordance with the divinely established order of things.[21][33]"The Qur'an, however, does not consider slaves to be mere chattel; their humanity is directly addressed in references to their beliefs,[34] their desire for manumission and their feelings about being forced into prostitution.[35] In one case, the Qur'an refers to master and slave with the same word, rajul. Later interpreters presume slaves to be spiritual equals of free Muslims. For example, verse 4:25[36] urges believers to marry 'believing maids that your right hands own' and then states: "The one of you is as the other," which the Jalaalayn interpret as "You and they are equal in faith, so do not refrain from marrying them." The human aspect of slaves is further reinforced by reference to them as members of the private household, sometimes along with wives or children.[37][21]The Prophet ordered slave-owners to address their slaves by such euphemistic terms as "my boy" and "my girl" stemmed from the belief that God, not their masters, was responsible for the slave's status.[38]

There are many common features between the institution of slavery in the Quran and that of neighboring cultures. However, the Quranic institution had some unique new features.[21]Bernard Lewis states that the Qur'anic legislation brought two major changes to ancient slavery which were to have far-reaching effects: presumption of freedom, and the ban on the enslavement of free persons except in strictly defined circumstances.[30] According to Brockopp, the idea of using alms for the manumission of slaves appears to be unique to the Quran, assuming the traditional interpretation of verses [Quran 2:177] and [Quran 9:60]. Similarly, the practice of freeing slaves in atonement for certain sins appears to be introduced by the Quran (but compare Exod 21:26-7).[21] The forced prostitution of female slaves, a Near Eastern custom of great antiquity, is condemned in the Quran.[23][39] Murray Gordon notes that this ban is "of no small significance."[40] Brockopp writes: "Other cultures limit a master's right to harm a slave but few exhort masters to treat their slaves kindly, and the placement of slaves in the same category as other weak members of society who deserve protection is unknown outside the Qur'an. The unique contribution of the Qur'an, then, is to be found in its emphasis on the place of slaves in society and society's responsibility toward the slave, perhaps the most progressive legislation on slavery in its time."[21]

According to Maurice Middleberg, "Sura 90 in the Quran states that the righteous path involves 'the freeing of slaves.'"[41] "

"
In The Name Of Allah, The Beneficent, The Merciful.

I swear by this city, this city in which you yourself are a dweller, by sire and offspring: indeed, We have created man in affliction. Does he think that none has power over him? "I have wasted vast riches," he says. Does he think that none observes him? Have We not given him two eyes, a tongue, and two lips, and shown him the two paths. Yet he has not attempted the Ascent. Would that you knew what the Ascent is. It is the freeing of a slave, or the feeding, in a day of hunger, of an orphaned near of kin, or a needy man in misery. Moreover, it is to be of those who believe and counsel one another to be steadfast, and enjoin mercy or one another. Those who do this shall be on the right hand. And those who deny Our revelations shall be on the left hand, with Hell-fire close above them. "

Mike.Hester

You are simply attempting to white wash an uncomfortable historical fact. The religion of peace has been involved in the slave trade for about 1300 years.What is the penalty for escape? Death! Stealing from your master? Hand cut off! And so forth. I view the prophet of peace in the same category as Edward Colston. Please take a moment from your time and review the tutorial of an American who live in Saudi Arabia and was a Muslim Scholar fro 16 years. Very interesting.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
With this new neo BLM campaign now a global phenomena and witnessing the destruction of statues of historical slave owners (Winston was not a slave holder), have the anarchist forgotten that the leader of the religion of peace owned slaves? Moreover, the leader of the religious of peace was also caught committing adultery with one of his slaves. Additional, the leader of the religion of peace surely used vile language to describe to describe black people. Should the religion of peace be subject to the same scrutiny?

Criticism of Muhammad - Wikipedia

As I posted in another thread (on whether the Abrahamic religions are inherently authoritarian) it is my belief that Islam supported the progressive reform of the institution of slavery (recognising it as a fact of life at the time) with the goal of its ultimate abolition. Both the Qur'an and the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) emphasised improving the conditions of slaves through humane and kind treatment of them and strongly encouraged setting them free.

Mike.Hester

As I posted in another thread (on whether the Abrahamic religions are inherently authoritarian) it is my belief that Islam supported the progressive reform of the institution of slavery (recognising it as a fact of life at the time) with the goal of its ultimate abolition. Both the Qur'an and the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) emphasised improving the conditions of slaves through humane and kind treatment of them and strongly encouraged setting them free.
If that is the case, why is slavery still happening in predominate Islamic areas? The prophet of peace owned slaves, traded slaves and had sex with one of his favourite slaves and provided instructions to his victorious jihads in how to obtain slaves for lustful purposes.SO my question is, How is he so different from Thomas Jefferson of Jefferson Davis?

If that is the case, why is slavery still happening in predominate Islamic areas? The prophet of peace owned slaves, traded slaves and had sex with one of his favourite slaves and provided instructions to his victorious jihads in how to obtain slaves for lustful purposes.SO my question is, How is he so different from Thomas Jefferson of Jefferson Davis?
Who is the "prophet of peace" you keep referring to?

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
If that is the case, why is slavery still happening in predominate Islamic areas?

Since soon after the demise of the Prophet (pbuh) and the rightly-guided Caliphs, Muslims began to deviate from his teachings and this has continued up to the present.

The prophet of peace owned slaves, traded slaves and had sex with one of his favourite slaves and provided instructions to his victorious jihads in how to obtain slaves for lustful purposes.

He gave clear instructions on how to treat slaves humanely and kindly and strongly encouraged the freeing of slaves, but he was pragmatic in his approach.

SO my question is, How is he so different from Thomas Jefferson of Jefferson Davis?

The Prophet (pbuh) was both a universal Messenger and a man of his era. Thomas Jefferson lived in a whole different era.

Mike.Hester

Since soon after the demise of the Prophet (pbuh) and the rightly-guided Caliphs, Muslims began to deviate from his teachings and this has continued up to the present.

He gave clear instructions on how to treat slaves humanely and kindly and strongly encouraged the freeing of slaves, but he was pragmatic in his approach.

The Prophet (pbuh) was both a universal Messenger and a man of his era. Thomas Jefferson lived in a whole different era.
Over the night in Brussels, Belgian, A classical statue of Julius Caesar was desecrated. He was labelled a racists for having Celtic Slaves.Again are people who own slaves racist? Please check the enclosed tutorial and point out its fla
ws.

Does not the title of the tutorial enlighten you?

What is your point or agenda? Muslims are bad and scary and ugly monsters? Like just come out and say what your issue is and what you want to get from it and what you want us to do?

Muhammed was like the American Presidents and Plantation Owners? Is that what you want? Ok, Muhammed wore a big white wig and was an American President, are you happy now?

What kind of boring existence do you have that this is how you entertain yourself? You're an atheist, why don't you just play some video game or mod where you shoot down Muslim looking bad guys and monsters and call it a day?

I want to understand your psychology, since your efforts are overall impotent and ineffective, they achieve nothing much except making yourself look bigotted, congratulations. I can understand a psychological dimension of stimulation about being naughty, ignorantly insulting a group of people or their founder, and getting away with it, oooo yeah mmm boing, yeah you made it!

How is anything you are writing helpful at all? You want the Muslims to leave Islam because their Prophet owned slaves? You don't want people to reject the United States because to this day it uses a sort of forced slave labor through its bloated prison system and prison workers? Yeah, read about that, unless you're hot for old dead arabs exclusively and can't deal with current events and contemporary issues. I can't either, in all honesty, I am hot for corpses myself, particularly very old corpses. I was just reading about Ancient Greek Hero Cults and Tomb Cults, boing boing boing!

You're an atheist with no other interest than to talk about books written in Persia suggesting the status quo of slavery in 700 AD is ok?

I don't know, it seems like we have vastly different interests and things that entertain us.

What annoys me about you is your snakey and coward like approach. You just don't spit out what you want, and that pisses me off. Just say what the heck you want and are after?

You think some dead guy you never knew is a bad guy because you think his followers today are bad guys, and that God is a non-existent bad guy (see Termagant wikipedia) especially. The Muslims are not going to leave Islam for such a stupid weak reason, anyone who does, I wish you the best of luck in finding them, since I'd like Islam to be purged of imbeciles too.

We all know evangelicals hate Islam, we all know that various haters use truths and lies to try to justify their hate and remove Islam from people.

What will that achieve? I know you're hot for arabs, particularly long dead ones, so what you'll achieve by De-Islamifying them is that they are O K with pre-marital sex (while alive, they can't consent while dead, so thats a little issue when you want them dead first), they are O K with becoming intoxicated and taking drugs and drinking alcohol, they are O K about tattoos, O K about stealing and cheating as there is no God watching so if you can cheat and steal and fornicate and get away with it then its O K. What else do you want to achieve? You want a bunch of "darkies" to not even have a religion or a law which they can be controlled by, who will still face racism for their heritage and history and color even if they eat trash they won't ever be good enough, then also have no God too to seek. So what you want is anarchy, and even more likelihood you'll get your head chopped off than had they been controlled by their Islam.

Speak up, everything you are typing are like whispers, what is your point? What do you want? Whats your agenda? What is the end game?

Just because you supposedly left your Christianity doesn't mean that leaving Islam is necessarily safe for this massive underdeveloped troglodyte population, use your reptilian brain!

Mike.Hester

@Mike.Hester
Most religions have supported slavery in the past. Why do you think Islam stands out in this regard?
Islam still has slavery and their prophet of peace owned slaves, had sex with them and he counselled them how to requisition captured slaves for their sexual gratification. All of these facts can be found in the Koran or Hadith. Now in recent times when Isis capture non Muslim females, they were instantly transformed into sex slaves.

Piculet

Islam still has slavery and their prophet of peace owned slaves, had sex with them and he counselled them how to requisition captured slaves for their sexual gratification. All of these facts can be found in the Koran or Hadith. Now in recent times when Isis capture non Muslim females, they were instantly transformed into sex slaves.
You didn't really answer the question. After all, there is a lot of slavery in the world..

However, ignoring your deceptive profanity, what of it? With all the laws regarding captives in Islam, what would be your issue if such a thing happened?

Mike.Hester

Name me a religion in the 7th century that has slavery? Today anarchist are tearing down statues of former slave entrepreneurs claiming racism. Why is the prophet of peace exempted from critic thought? The prophet of peace we are told was an example or morality and human dignity.

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، عَنْ شُعْبَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي التَّيَّاحِ، عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ ـ رضى الله عنه ـ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ اسْمَعُوا وَأَطِيعُوا وَإِنِ اسْتُعْمِلَ عَلَيْكُمْ عَبْدٌ حَبَشِيٌّ كَأَنَّ رَأْسَهُ زَبِيبَةٌ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7142
In-book reference : Book 93, Hadith 6
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 89, Hadith 256

Piculet

Name me a religion in the 7th century that has slavery? T
I don't understand this question. It isn't long ago that Christians, for instance, had slaves.
Today anarchist are tearing down statues of former slave entrepreneurs claiming racism.
Is it slavery or racism that we're talking about?
Why is the prophet of peace exempted from critic thought?
You're not answering my question at all.

Tambourine

What do you mean by "Islam still has slavery"? All Muslim countries have banned the practice of slavery, to my knowledge.

Piculet

What do you mean by "Islam still has slavery"? All Muslim countries have banned the practice of slavery, to my knowledge.
There's plenty of 'slavery' in the world. I don't know that any of it happens openly. Rather it is denied publicly, but proven statistically. Of course the definition of slavery has changed in time and slavery doesn't look anymore like it did 3000 years ago.