• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitch McConnell will step down as Republican Senate Leader

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
McConnell, presently Senate Minority Leader, will stop down as Leader at the general election in November. He will continue to serve in the Senate for the duration of his current term, which lasts until 2026.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Doh. I just posted the same thing.

Not a fan of his at all but if a MAGA nut replaces him, ugh.
Sorry, didn't mean to scoop you!

And I agree, I've found much that McConnell has done repulsive, especially his literal stacking of SCOTUS and voting against Trump's second impeachment while admitting publicly that he was guilty.

But his dislike for Trump has offered up a small bastion of protection against the worst of him, and his successor might well be much worse in that regard.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The man who eviscerated women's reproductive rights deserves little but contempt.
And for how he helped Trump's fraudulent claims of a stolen election breath life and grow into treason.
If he were a protection against Trump he would have ended that nonsense then and there instead of insisting its his right.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Which should make both sides nervous.
I don't think the magats will be as nervous as the others, they're jackals that will see it as an opportunity to seize more control.

Call me jaded but McConnell is as vile and greedy as politicians come and he wouldn't step down unless something was brewing, he likes power and money far too much. At best (relatively speaking), stepping down is due to whatever medical condition that causes him to zone out. It may be worsening and stepping back will help delay it becoming more obvious to the public. At worst, something malevolent is brewing back channel in the GOP and this is a pre-emptive move to distance himself should (when) it goes sideways. He's a malevolent ol' bastaird but he's not stupid: self-preservation before party before country.

tldr; something's up and I don't trust him as far as I could toss him.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't think the magats will be as nervous as the others, they're jackals that will see it as an opportunity to seize more control.

Call me jaded but McConnell is as vile and greedy as politicians come and he wouldn't step down unless something was brewing, he likes power and money far too much. At best (relatively speaking), stepping down is due to whatever medical condition that causes him to zone out. It may be worsening and stepping back will help delay it becoming more obvious to the public. At worst, something malevolent is brewing back channel in the GOP and this is a pre-emptive move to distance himself should (when) it goes sideways. He's a malevolent ol' bastaird but he's not stupid: self-preservation before party before country.

tldr; something's up and I don't trust him as far as I could toss him.
He is worse because of his power, but the most disgusting of Republican Senators has to be Lindsey Graham.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I definitely do not doubt that his replacement will be worse, even much worse.

But he will not be missed. Not for his own merits and demerits.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
He is worse because of his power, but the most disgusting of Republican Senators has to be Lindsey Graham.
Not that I disagree, but there is some strong competition for the title of "Most Disgusting Republican Senator". Cancun Cruz is certainly in the running. There is also Tommy Tubberville, Rick Scott, J.D. Vance and every bodies favourite running man - Josh Hawley. Like a putrid can of pringles, you can't hate just one.