• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mistranslations of the various Translations of the Scriptures.

FFH

Veteran Member
Seyorni said:
The only projection I know of into the Red Sea is the Sinai peninsula. And where, exactly, is this sand bar?
the sand bar or stretch of shallow land is stretches between the Gulf of Aqaba. I believe Moses Crossed the Gulf of Aqaba, which extends from the Red Sea, between Katrina and Jabal. There is a shallow stretch of land beneath the waters of the Gulf of Aqaba. This is where the chariot wheel spokes and axles were seen and not touched. They can still be found there today.

FFH

Veteran Member
Moses would have crossed the Gulf of Aqaba from east to west, onto the Sinai Peninsula, where he recieved the ten commanments, on Mt Sinai.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FFH said:
This is where the chariot wheel spokes and axles were seen and not touched. They can still be found there today.
This is gullibility run amok. If evidence of the Exodus "can still be found there today", don't you think "there" would be swarming with hopeful Biblical Archaeologist?

It's truly pathetic - people should really learn how to think. :rolleyes:

FFH

Veteran Member
Here is a good link that talks about the point at which Moses could have crossed.

http://www.truebiblecode.com/understanding249.html

The video that I have seen of the chariot spokes and axles encased in coral, were taken in the Gulf of Aqaba. I think the sand bar or shallow stretch of land that I talked about earlier is this reef that this link is pointing out. It was a year ago when I saw the documentary on on this. I don't have still pictures of the coral encased chariout axles and spokes that I can link you too, sorry. This link talks about them though.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Moses crossed the gulf of Aqaba East to West? I thought he was coming from Egypt, not Jordan or Saudi Arabia (modern equivalents)

Look at the map. To get to the holy land from Egypt he has to go Northeast. Between Egypt and the Western Mediterranean is the Gulf of Suez and, north of that, a huge papyrus reed swamp.
The gulf of Aqaba would have been way out of his way and a needless barrier. Once He reaches the Sinai he has an unobstructed walk Northeast to reach the Western Mediterranean shores.

joeboonda

Well, I don't know where he crossed, but I believe it happened. All prophets believed it, David believed it, Jesus believed it, the apostles believed it, Christianity and Judaism believed it thru the centuries. In the latter days, the Bible says, scoffers would come who would not believe. Professing themeselves wise, they became fools. We have plenty of good scripture, meticulously copied and preserved for us, an overwhelming body of evidence. Folks can argue it all day, I believe it, I'd be a fool not to.

FFH

Veteran Member
Seyorni said:
Moses crossed the gulf of Aqaba East to West? I thought he was coming from Egypt, not Jordan or Saudi Arabia (modern equivalents)

Look at the map. To get to the holy land from Egypt he has to go Northeast. Between Egypt and the Western Mediterranean is the Gulf of Suez and, north of that, a huge papyrus reed swamp.
The gulf of Aqaba would have been way out of his way and a needless barrier. Once He reaches the Sinai he has an unobstructed walk Northeast to reach the Western Mediterranean shores.
I tried to PM you but your mail box was full.

I know it doesn't make sense geographically. I knew you were going to pick up on this.

I think the reason why God brought them around to this point was to drown the Egyptian army. This was the only point at which this sort of thing could be possible. The Gulf of Suez has no shallow stretch of land in which to cross. The Gulf of Aqaba does. This was the only possible route across any gulf into the Sinai peninsula where Moses would be safe, along with the children of Israel, and Moses could then recieve the ten commandments on Mt Sinai.

Even though the Gulf of Aqaba is way out of the way, the shallow stretch of land that it possessed served two purposes.

1) To get the Israelites over to the peninsula, where Moses could recieve the ten commandments on Mt. Sinai, and to live peacefully, without being bothered by anyone, especially their enemies. The two gulfs would protect then from enemies. They could live relatively protected. The Gulf of Suez would be the more logical crossing but there was no shallow stretch of land under the water in which to cross. Moses had to use another route to get to Mt. Sinai. Moses knew the area well. He had spent about 30 years outside of Egypt.

2) This stretch of land also helped entice the Egyptian army to follow the Israelites across the peninsula. They felt safe in crossing, seeing what they thought was a natural event. It certainly would have appeared that way. They did not realize that God had sent the "east wind", which is spoken about in a scripture concerning this story. They did not realize that God was controlling the wind which had cleared a dry path to cross. The Egyptian army was wiped out in one watery event, when the winds subsided. The shallow stretch of land was again covered. God eliminated the threat of Egypt ever bothering them again.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FFH said:
I think the reason why God brought them around to this point was because there was to drown the Egyptian army. This was the only point at which this sort of thing could be possible.
:biglaugh:

Deut 13:1

FFH said:
I think the reason why God brought them around to this point was to drown the Egyptian army. This was the only point at which this sort of thing could be possible. The Gulf of Suez has no shallow stretch of land in which to cross. The Gulf of Aqaba does. This was the only possible route across any gulf into the Sinai peninsula where Moses would be safe, along with the children of Israel, and Moses could then recieve the ten commandments on Mt Sinai.
Just to clarify your position as an LDS member.

The LDS believe G-d created everything in the world all waters, gulfs, oceans, ect...
The LDS also believe that G-d is incapable of creating another body of water besides the Gulf of Aquaba.
The LDS believe that G-d would be incapable of dividing this body of water that He is incapable of making.

I HIGHLY doubt this represent the LDS way of thinking, and as such, you should stop talking such non-sense as it makes their job much harder to represent their church.

A

angellous_evangellous

FFH said:
Here is a good link that talks about the point at which Moses could have crossed.

http://www.truebiblecode.com/understanding249.html

The video that I have seen of the chariot spokes and axles encased in coral, were taken in the Gulf of Aqaba. I think the sand bar or shallow stretch of land that I talked about earlier is this reef that this link is pointing out. It was a year ago when I saw the documentary on on this. I don't have still pictures of the coral encased chariout axles and spokes that I can link you too, sorry. This link talks about them though.
*sings*

"There can be miracles, if you believe
Tho' hope is frail, it's hard to kill"

wmam

As we continue this discussion we have to understand that what might be considered a mistranslation to one might not be considered that by another. It may, however, be that of just a plain and simple mis-understanding of the true meaning of a word that has more than one meaning. For example you might have the word "Enlarge". This word has different meanings when used in different ways.

I will use the KJV with Strong's numbers as well as the Strong's definition of each meaning to explain.

Gen 9:27 God430 shall enlarge6601 Japheth,3315 and he shall dwell7931 in the tents168 of Shem;8035 and Canaan3667 shall be1961 his servant.5650

H6601
פּתה
pâthâh
paw-thaw'
A primitive root; to open, that is, be (causatively make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude: - allure, deceive, enlarge, entice, flatter, persuade, silly (one).

Exo 22:16 And if3588 a man376 entice6601 a maid1330 that834 is not3808 betrothed,781 and lie7901 with5973 her, he shall surely endow4117, 4117 her to be his wife.802

Deu 11:16 Take heed8104 to yourselves, that6435 your heart3824 be not deceived,6601 and ye turn aside,5493 and serve5647 other312 gods,430 and worship7812 them;

Jdg 14:15 And it came to pass1961 on the seventh7637 day,3117 that they said559 unto Samson's8123 wife,802 Entice6601 (853) thy husband,376 that he may declare5046 unto us (853) the riddle,2420 lest6435 we burn8313 thee and thy father's1 house1004 with fire:784 have ye called7121 us to take that we have?3423 is it not3808 so?

Jdg 16:5 And the lords5633 of the Philistines6430 came up5927 unto413 her, and said559 unto her, Entice6601 him, and see7200 wherein4100 his great1419 strength3581 lieth, and by what4100 means we may prevail3201 against him, that we may bind631 him to afflict6031 him: and we587 will give5414 thee every one376 of us eleven hundred505, 3967 pieces of silver.3701

This meaning, I believe to be far different than............

Exo 34:24 For3588 I will cast out3423 the nations1471 before4480, 6440 thee, and enlarge7337 (853) thy borders:1366 neither3808 shall any man376 desire2530 (853) thy land,776 when thou shalt go up5927 to appear7200 (853) before6440 the LORD3068 thy God430 thrice7969, 6471 in the year.8141

H7337
רחב
râchab
raw-khab'
A primitive root; to broaden (intransitively or transitively, literally or figuratively): - be an en- (make) large (-ing), make room, make (open) wide.

Deu 12:20 When3588 the LORD3068 thy God430 shall enlarge7337 (853) thy border,1366 as834 he hath promised1696 thee, and thou shalt say,559 I will eat398 flesh,1320 because3588 thy soul5315 longeth183 to eat398 flesh;1320 thou mayest eat398 flesh,1320 whatsoever3605 thy soul5315 lusteth after.185

Deu 19:8 And if518 the LORD3068 thy God430 enlarge7337 (853) thy coast,1366 as834 he hath sworn7650 unto thy fathers,1 and give5414 thee (853) all3605 the land776 which834 he promised1696 to give5414 unto thy fathers;1

Now that being said..............

Japheth is the father of all Gentiles. I have to say that it is of my own opinion that the Gentiles have and are being deceived with a false doctrine and faith. But this is only my own personal belief and I don't have any proof of it but just looking at some of the ways a person could be mislead with words that have been either mistranslated or have multiple meanings throughout the text. If you really read Gen 9:27.........

Gen 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

But replace "enlarge" with the meaning of either "entice" or "deceive" you can almost understand that maybe the Gentiles were meant to be confounded in the Truth at first. As far as living in the tents of Shem ...... well Gentiles do. As far as True and pure blood line Hebrews. I doubt that their are any left, though I could be wrong. I believe that the Gentiles are what is in Israel. Just like the Scriptures tells us in .........

Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

I have to say that I believe that it is pretty certain that the Gentiles are still around today. Its just a thought. It maybe pretty far fetched for some to allow themselves to believe that the root meaning of what they have been taught all their lives might be in fact lies. To think of the possibility is, in and of itself, out there. How can one be so certain, though, that it isn't True when one keeps coming across mistranslations or versus that almost seem misguiding on purpose. Almost as if someone doesn't want us to know the whole Truth or at least the True meaning of the whole Truth.

I have more but will wait sometime before posting it as I think this will satisfy many on there quest to know the Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
joeboonda said:
Well, I don't know where he crossed, but I believe it happened. All prophets believed it, David believed it, Jesus believed it, the apostles believed it, Christianity and Judaism believed it thru the centuries. In the latter days, the Bible says, scoffers would come who would not believe. Professing themeselves wise, they became fools. We have plenty of good scripture, meticulously copied and preserved for us, an overwhelming body of evidence. Folks can argue it all day, I believe it, I'd be a fool not to.
I suspect no-one believed Moses crossed the Red sea till the King James translators mistranslated Yam Suph as "Red sea" rather than "Reed Sea."

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
FFH said:
I tried to PM you but your mail box was full.

I know it doesn't make sense geographically. I knew you were going to pick up on this.

I think the reason why God brought them around to this point was to drown the Egyptian army. This was the only point at which this sort of thing could be possible.
Boy, God certainly seems to have had it in for poor Egypt! Plagues of locusts, frogs, 1st born sons dying, and now mass drowning!

Seems like it would have been easier just to rain fire and brimstone down on then a la Gomorrah!

Smoke

Done here.
Seyorni said:
Boy, God certainly seems to have had it in for poor Egypt! Plagues of locusts, frogs, 1st born sons dying, and now mass drowning!

Seems like it would have been easier just to rain fire and brimstone down on then a la Gomorrah!
Yahweh is kind of like a cat. Sometimes he likes to play with his prey before he kills it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Deut 13:1 said:
Just to clarify your position as an LDS member.

The LDS believe G-d created everything in the world all waters, gulfs, oceans, ect...
The LDS also believe that G-d is incapable of creating another body of water besides the Gulf of Aquaba.
The LDS believe that G-d would be incapable of dividing this body of water that He is incapable of making.

I HIGHLY doubt this represent the LDS way of thinking, and as such, you should stop talking such non-sense as it makes their job much harder to represent their church.
You are not getting the point AT ALL. You cannot even picture what I am saying or how God uses natural landscape and natural elements to perform miracles, at exactly the time when we need them. God can perform any creative miracle he chooses too. God can perform any change in the elements that he wants too. God can move mountains and large bodies of water, but it also takes the faith of those asking. This was all the faith that Moses possessed at the time. Perhaps Moses' prayer to God went something like this, "Create a miracle O Lord, so that we may walk on dry land towards the Sinai peninsula where Thou art leading us, the armies of the Egyptians are upon us. We are in desperate need of Thy help". Moses held up his staff and a great "east wind" as is stated in scripture formed and moved the waters off the submerged shallow reef that stretched across the Gulf of Aqaba. The waters were tuly divided of this shallow submerged reef. Moses would then be able to cross without going sharply down to the sea floor. Moses could cross with Israel safely, and then watch as the wind subsided and the waters receded over the reef and killed all in it's path. Moses would then recieve THE most important commandments in worlds history, on Mt. Sinai. God can do anything, according to the faith of man on earth. He will only do miracles, according to the faith of men on earth. Perhaps this is all the faith that Moses possessed, in behalf of Israel. It was enough to bring them all safely across, and away from the threat of any enemy. The Egyptian army was no longer a threat, they were all wiped out.

FFH

Veteran Member
I think the Gulf of Aqaba was at one point called the "Reed Sea", which extended from the "Red Sea". It was probably called the Reed Sea because of the reeds that grew around the banks and also on, and around, the shallow reefs.

wmam

Wow..... over a week and no reply's. Makes me wonder if anyone has read the second addition that I made a few post back. :)

FFH

Veteran Member
wmam said:
Wow..... over a week and no reply's. Makes me wonder if anyone has read the second addition that I made a few post back. :)
Sorry I was so involved in that last discussion I didn't even see your post.

FFH

Veteran Member
The scriptures you have posted are all translated correctly, Wman, according to the JST (Joseph Smith translation, or Inspired Version of the Bible). The Gospel must be preached to the Gentiles. We are now in the "times of the Gentiles" when the Gospel is being preached to all the Gentiles of the world. When the Gospel has been preached to all the Gentiles of the world, then will the "times of the Gentiles be fulfilled", and Christ will return to the Jews in Jerusalem and they will accept Christ as their Messiah.

Romans 11: 25

"For I would not, bretheren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."

Many Gentiles are being brought to the knowledge of the true Messiah, Jesus Christ. They are not being deceived, but are being enlightened, and have "enlarged", or expanded, into all parts of the world.

Truly the Lord has "enlarged" the Gentiles and they now fill the earth, and many are accepting Jesus Christ, and his sacrifice for them, and they are preaching the Gospel, themselves.

Truly God has enlarged Japheth.