• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mississippi High School Cancels Prom to Deny Lesbian Couple

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'm just amazed how backwards some places can still be. Is this a southern thing? Back when I was in school this wasn't even thought of as an issue. Gay couples dressed however they liked, went to dances together, walked hand in hand in the hallways at school and made-out just like any other straight couple in school. We had quite an out-in-the-open gay and bi community in my school and I don't recall any problems with that either. You never heard of anyone trying to prevent anyone else from going to dances. No one was beaten up or harrassed that I saw (and I was in Drama *that should speak for itself* :p , and had a lot of friends that were gay). Really, is this a southern thing?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Class. Those folks exude class. Because nothing says "class" quite like sneaking around like a bunch of middle-schoolers to deny someone from attending your prom.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Considering they apparently also did this to some special needs kids suggest they really need some help in the morality department. They didn't deserve their private prom.

No wonder there's an issue with school bullying. :(

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Class. Those folks exude class. Because nothing says "class" quite like sneaking around like a bunch of middle-schoolers to deny someone from attending your prom.

Unfortunately, this seems like a very adult thing nowadays. If folks are worried that homosexuals are setting a bad example for the younger generation, what do they think exclusionary, bigoted, immature behavior is going to do?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
You make a good point, Guitar, but these adults are sending the very message that they think is best for their children. They want their kids to be bigots, just like they are. The sad thing is, these people are so dense that they don't even realize that their actions are bigoted in the first place. After all, it's what they think their God would want them to do.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
You make a good point, Guitar, but these adults are sending the very message that they think is best for their children. They want their kids to be bigots, just like they are. The sad thing is, these people are so dense that they don't even realize that their actions are bigoted in the first place. After all, it's what they think their God would want them to do.

Bigotry is not the biggest problem here, ignorance is. You have to understand that most folks still believe homosexuality is a choice.

linwood

Bigotry is not the biggest problem here, ignorance is. You have to understand that most folks still believe homosexuality is a choice.

True but it doesn`t matter whether it is a choice or not.
It never has.

The nature or nurture argument has always been a red herring.

This is America right?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
True but it doesn`t matter whether it is a choice or not.
It never has.

The nature or nurture argument has always been a red herring.

This is America right?

To a rational person it does not matter, but if Christians would think this one through they could come to terms with homosexuality.

Jesus said for us to love our neighbor. I don't remember anyone putting any conditions on that, do you?

If you love someone, why would you try to restrict them from hospital visits or medical decisions? Why would survivorship benefits be an issue? Why would you stand in the way of an inheritance?

If you practice Christianity correctly, why would you single out sexuality from gluttony or disrespectful children? Christians give everyone a free pass except the homosexual.

It is so simple, it's not our job to judge homosexuality, problem solved!

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Update - Good news (IMO):
JACKSON, Miss. – A rural school district that canceled its prom rather than allow a lesbian student to attend with her girlfriend has agreed to pay $35,000 to settle a discrimination lawsuit the ACLU filed on her behalf.

The district also agreed to follow a non-discrimination policy as part of the settlement, though it argues such a policy was already in place.
Lesbian gets $35K settlement over canceled prom - Yahoo! News