• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Islam!

summia

Scriptural reader
You can post any question here related to Islam to know about misconceptions. And I will try my best to answer you with arguments.
You can ask whatever you want but plz don’t post false or worthy arguments to support your ideas.
And I also take apologize for my language (English language) coz it’s not my mother language. I’m ahead to try my best to learn but as you can’t speak Urdu well. Similarly I know simple English language.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
if i may ask, what is the significance of facing Mecca when you pray?

on a side note, i was at school with a Muslim from Qatar, he taught me the phrase Kya Haal Hai? that is as far as my Urdu goes though :)

summia

Scriptural reader
if i may ask, what is the significance of facing Mecca when you pray?

1) for Unity to face in one direction: coz Islam does not spiritually teaches but practically teaches how to establish unity!

Allah says:

إِنَّنِيۤ أَنَا ٱللَّهُ لاۤ إِلَـٰهَ إِلاۤ أَنَاْ فَٱعْبُدْنِي وَأَقِمِ ٱلصَّلاَةَ لِذِكْرِيۤ

Lo! I, even I, am Allah. There is no God save Me. serve Me and establish worship for My remembrance

2) Kabah is the center of earth, whether you put the south pole up and north down or vise verse it will remain in the center of the whole world. and you know world is not rounded.

3) Muhammad pbuh wished to face towards the kabah that was fistly constructed by Ibrahim (Abramham) AS.

قَدْ نَرَىٰ تَقَلُّبَ وَجْهِكَ فِي ٱلسَّمَآءِ فَلَنُوَلِّيَنَّكَ قِبْلَةً تَرْضَاهَا فَوَلِّ وَجْهَكَ شَطْرَ ٱلْمَسْجِدِ ٱلْحَرَامِ وَحَيْثُ مَا كُنْتُمْ فَوَلُّواْ وُجُوِهَكُمْ شَطْرَهُ وَإِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ ٱلْكِتَابَ لَيَعْلَمُونَ أَنَّهُ ٱلْحَقُّ مِن رَّبِّهِمْ وَمَا ٱللَّهُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا يَعْمَلُونَ

"[Prophet,] We have been watching your face turning towards the skies [in anticipation of this directive]. So, We have decided to turn you towards the Qiblah, which you desire. Therefore, [O Prophet,] now [for your prayers] turn your face towards the Masjid Al-Haraam. And wherever you are, turn your faces towards it." (2:144)

commentry of Ibn Abbas:

Allah then mentions the supplication of His Prophet regarding the changing of the Qiblah towards Mecca, saying: (We have seen the turning of thy face to heaven (for guidance, O Muhammad)) turning your sight to heaven in anticipation of Gabriel coming down to announce the change of the Qiblah. (And now surely We shall make thee turn) in prayer (towards a Qiblah that is dear to thee) that you like, namely. the Qiblah of Abraham. (So turn thy face) when in prayer (towards the Inviolable Place of Worship, and ye (O Muslims), wheresoever ye may be) whether on land or in the sea, (turn your faces (when ye pray)) in prayer (towards it. (Lo! Those who have received the Scripture know that) the Sacred Precinct (is the Truth from their Lord) is the Qiblah of Abraham but they conceal this fact. (And Allah is not unaware) heedless (of what they do) of what they conceal.

4) To Allah belongs the east and the west.

In Súra Al-Baqara v.143, we read:
"The fools among the people will say: "What has turned them from the Qiblah to which they were used?" Say: To Alláh belong both East and West; He guides whom He pleases to a Way that is straight. "

Phil Lawton

If Islam is so simple (as I'm often told), then why are there so many varying degrees of fervour and adherences around the world?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If Islam has one extra month and this is by the movement of sun (365) and moon (28) isn't that 13, if the rest have 12?

summia

Scriptural reader
If Islam is so simple (as I'm often told), then why are there so many varying degrees of fervour and adherences around the world?
Plz make your point clear what fervour and adherences means?
Is your point, "Why is oppsition around the world against Islam, if Islam is so easy?"
Is that I got?

summia

Scriptural reader
If Islam has one extra month and this is by the movement of sun (365) and moon (28) isn't that 13, if the rest have 12?

The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, each year consists of twelve months, each month being 29 or 30 days in length depending on the position of the moon. As stated in the Qu’ran:

إِنَّ عِدَّةَ ٱلشُّهُورِ عِندَ ٱللَّهِ ٱثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْراً فِي كِتَابِ ٱللَّهِ يَوْمَ خَلَقَ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلأَرْضَ مِنْهَآ أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌ ذٰلِكَ ٱلدِّينُ ٱلْقَيِّمُ فَلاَ تَظْلِمُواْ فِيهِنَّ أَنْفُسَكُمْ وَقَاتِلُواْ ٱلْمُشْرِكِينَ كَآفَّةً كَمَا يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ كَآفَّةً وَٱعْلَمُوۤاْ أَنَّ ٱللَّهَ مَعَ ٱلْمُتَّقِينَ

“The number of months in the sight of Allah is twelve (in a year) so ordained by Him the day He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are sacred; that is the straight usage. So wrong not yourselves therein and fight the pagans all together as they fight you all together. But know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves.” (Al-Tauba 9:36)

It is considered a divine command to use a (Hijra) calendar with 12 (purely) lunar months without intercalation, as evident from the following verses of the Holy Qur’an:

“They ask thee concerning the New Moons, Say: They are but signs to mark fixed periods of time in (the affairs of) men and for Pilgrimage.”(Al-Baqara 2:189)

For more scientific detail that proved the Quran Math’s about month true, plz visit this site...

http://coflight.blogspot.com/

More over I’m ahead to start thread about Islamic months, plz stay with......

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!

The simplicity of Islam has nothing to do with how one wishes to implement it in daily life. Some people feel more strongly and take it more seriously than other who hold the same belief. Some feel Islam is not to be taken so seriously, others feel it is of the utmost importance to practice Islam the best they can. A particular person's view towards Islam is responsible for the disparity of adherence. A deeper understanding is that people have different levels of iman. A person level of iman (which will always fluctuate to some degree) depends directly upon how many good deeds they are inclined to do. How many good deeds they are inclined to do depends upon how seriously they take Allah's rewards and punishments as stated to us in Quran and sunnah. A person who tries to take it very seriously will likely be more inclined to do more good deeds, which translates into being more adherent to more laws. The same works in reverse. I hope that answered your question.

summia

Scriptural reader

Sorry for late response but!
“Haste makes waste”
Therefore I got proper research for your question…..
Your question has two portions:
1) Islam is so simple
2) why are there so many varying degrees of fervour and adherences around the world?

Islam is so simple:
If someone says Islam is so simple then there is need to ckeck the validity of statement from Quran coz Islam all is what is Quran and Sunnah.....
According to the Quran, there is nothing complex about Islam. If you are advocating a ‘difficult and complex’ religion, it is not the Islam of the Quran;.for it is as simple as the religion of Abraham.

Allah Almighty says:

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي ٱللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ هُوَ ٱجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي ٱلدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ مِّلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ

"He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion"(22:78)

شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِيۤ أُنْزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلْقُرْآنُ هُدًى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَاتٍ مِّنَ ٱلْهُدَىٰ وَٱلْفُرْقَانِ فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَن كَانَ مَرِيضاً أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِّنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ بِكُمُ ٱلْيُسْرَ وَلاَ يُرِيدُ بِكُمُ ٱلْعُسْرَ وَلِتُكْمِلُواْ ٱلْعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُواْ ٱللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَاكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ

"The month of Ramadan is which was revealed the Qur'an a guidance for mankind and clear proofs of the guidance and the Criterion (of right and wrong) And whoever of you is present let him fast the month. And whoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of days Allah desireth for your ease He desireth not hardship for you and (He desireth ) that ye should complete the period and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you and that peradventure ye may be thankful"(2:185)

I think now have got the concept of what measn by "ease in Islam/Islam is so simple"

summia

Scriptural reader
Herez more....
Allah Almighyt says,

يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ أَن يُخَفِّفَ عَنْكُمْ وَخُلِقَ ٱلإِنسَانُ ضَعِيفاً

"Allah would make the burden light for you for man was created weak" (4:28)

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا ٱلْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ

"17 - And we have indeed made the Quran easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition? " (54 The Moon, 17, 22, 32, 40 )

لاَ يُكَلِّفُ ٱللَّهُ نَفْساً إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا ٱكْتَسَبَتْ

"God does not burden a soul beyond capacity." (2:286)

يَا أَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ إِذَا قُمْتُمْ إِلَى ٱلصَّلاةِ فٱغْسِلُواْ وُجُوهَكُمْ وَأَيْدِيَكُمْ إِلَى ٱلْمَرَافِقِ وَٱمْسَحُواْ بِرُؤُوسِكُمْ وَأَرْجُلَكُمْ إِلَى ٱلْكَعْبَينِ وَإِن كُنتُمْ جُنُباً فَٱطَّهَّرُواْ وَإِن كُنتُم مَّرْضَىۤ أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ أَوْ جَآءَ أَحَدٌ مِّنْكُمْ مِّنَ ٱلْغَائِطِ أَوْ لاَمَسْتُمُ ٱلنِّسَآءَ فَلَمْ تَجِدُواْ مَآءً فَتَيَمَّمُواْ صَعِيداً طَيِّباً فَٱمْسَحُواْ بِوُجُوهِكُمْ وَأَيْدِيكُمْ مِّنْهُ مَا يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ لِيَجْعَلَ عَلَيْكُم مِّنْ حَرَجٍ وَلَـٰكِن يُرِيدُ لِيُطَهِّرَكُمْ وَلِيُتِمَّ نِعْمَتَهُ عَلَيْكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ

"O ye who believe! When ye rise up for prayer wash your face, and your hands up to the elbows, and lightly rub your heads and (wash) your feet
up to the ankles. And if ye are unclean purify yourselves And if ye are sick
or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet or ye have had (sexual) contact with women and ye find not water then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it Allah would not place a burden on you, but He would purify you and would perfect His grace upon you, that ye may give thanks. "(5:6)

Thus in short simplicity don't means "What you wish for yourself" but simplicity means "What is better ease for whole humanity" coz Quran is for the whole humanity (i.e. it shares the problems of the whole humanity)

summia

Scriptural reader
why are there so many varying degrees of fervour and adherences around the world?

I have given the brief explainaiton of what simplicity means but poelpe around the world without undrstang the knowledge get into their own assumption due to following reasons:

1) they busy theirselves in wordly demands, They haveno time to get knowledge of their authentic scriptures

2) they feel difficult in getting knowledge coz people need soooo relaxation.

3) They have set their own wishes and assumption to follow, in which they feel ease; are following and naming as a religion.

4) some scholars around the world have made religious education so difficult and un-undestandable cpncepts.

But on the whole we can’t say that Islam is responisible for all, yet people who are practicing above described habits are although responsible for all.

Phil Lawton

The simplicity of Islam has nothing to do with how one wishes to implement it in daily life. Some people feel more strongly and take it more seriously than other who hold the same belief. Some feel Islam is not to be taken so seriously, others feel it is of the utmost importance to practice Islam the best they can. A particular person's view towards Islam is responsible for the disparity of adherence. A deeper understanding is that people have different levels of iman. A person level of iman (which will always fluctuate to some degree) depends directly upon how many good deeds they are inclined to do. How many good deeds they are inclined to do depends upon how seriously they take Allah's rewards and punishments as stated to us in Quran and sunnah. A person who tries to take it very seriously will likely be more inclined to do more good deeds, which translates into being more adherent to more laws. The same works in reverse. I hope that answered your question.

It does to some degree, but isn't that rather like saying that a woman is "a little pregnant"? Either she is or she isn't...either you're a Muslim/Catholic/LDS or you're not.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
It does to some degree, but isn't that rather like saying that a woman is "a little pregnant"? Either she is or she isn't...either you're a Muslim/Catholic/LDS or you're not.

No it isn't like that. A person is still muslim whether they practice or not provided that the actual beliefs they hold are in accordance with Islam. That isn't a good thing but it happens and it is possible.

To simplify, think of a person's level of iman on a number scale from -10 to 10. 10 being a high level of iman, and negative numbers being disbelief. A persons level of iman may be anywhere on the positive side of the scale, however the closer they get to 0, the closer they get to the negative side of the scale, or disbelief. Now think of a person's good deeds bringing them closer to 10. The lack of these deeds automatically brings one closer to 0. The longer you go without these deeds, the closer you get to 0. You're still muslim as long as you're on the positive side, but it is a dangerous game to come closer to that 0.

Did I make that more complicated then it had to be? Probably sorry if I did, I was just itching to throw in a mathmatical example while explaining islamic concepts, don't ask why I wanted to do that.......

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why is it that so many non-Muslims see Islam as being abusive to women? Do you think they are confusing cultural issues with dogmatic issues? For example, female circumcision is practiced by many muslims however it is actually a cultural thing and has no basis in the Qur'an or the Sunna. Any thoughts?