• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Hinduism

spyrichuwel

Don't worry about the "born Hindus"

- don't let their existence discourage your spiritual enthusiasm and drive
- look at the positive side of things, see what are the good aspects of these "born Hindus"
- work on yourself, what matters is what YOU are doing at the end of the day, someone else being such and such isn't going to change you
- we are all creations of the Lord, we all have a right to the Lord and we all can meditate on being the powerless creation of the Lord

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
'Born Hindus' is a massive generalisation that I would consider in greater detail. There is such variety, from a staunch traditionalist, to a child of converts. My children were born Hindu.

Generally speaking I've learned far more from my born Hindu brothers and sisters than from my fellow western converts, especially about culture. The subconscious mind of the individual starts developing at a very young age so born Hindus generally have less non-Hindu stuff in there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I say power to all mlecchas and shudras who strive to be religious.
I would say no power to mlechhas. Those who are interested in Hinduism are already non-mlechhas otherwise they would not have had this interest. And Shudras are already Hindu, why list them with mlechhas? The born Hindus are most to be worried about because they may not have knowledge about their own religion and be Hindus just in classification.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I say power to all mlecchas and shudras who strive to be religious.

I can't tell you how much I hate that word mleccha. I've been called it enough times to have developed a serious distaste for it. The most recent incident was just last week. Of course it was on the internet, but words are still words.

'Generally speaking I've learned far more from my born Hindu brothers and sisters than from my fellow western converts, especially about culture.

My coworkers have been a wealth of information. I was even told I was pronouncing a bad word wrong, and told how to pronounce it. :D :D :D

I would say no power to mlechhas. Those who are interested in Hinduism are already non-mlechhas otherwise they would not have had this interest.

Thank you! :)

Sharmaji

Another myth is that we supposedly drink cow urine, that meat is strictly prohibited and apparently we worship animals. Furthermore as a Shakta you’re mostly asked about tantric rituals which have been perverted in the west. The idea of Avatars is something I don’t believe in either.

Sharmaji

Additionally I would like to add that many people believe neither Hindus nor Buddhists have ever contributed to charity and that social service wasn’t a part of their philosophies.

Devaki

The other day a girl at college asked about "the dot" and when I explained she said: "Oh I didn't know they were non-permanent, I thought they burnt them into their skin (!)" presumably with a branding iron.... now I never heard that one before. But she was genuinely surprised and curious, so all good. Just wonder where she got that idea from..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The other day a girl at college asked about "the dot" and when I explained she said: "Oh I didn't know they were non-permanent, I thought they burnt them into their skin (!)" presumably with a branding iron.... now I never heard that one before. But she was genuinely surprised and curious, so all good. Just wonder where she got that idea from..

You shouda said, "I got mine when I was just 3 years old. My Mom still has the branding iron, if you want to come by."

Sad, but yes the misconceptions run deep.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Then there are things like movie lines:

In The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Capt. Nemo is seen praying before a statue of Kali on-board the Nautilus. One of the passengers says "Look! He's praying to Kali, the Goddess of Death!"

Goddess of Death? Oy vey!

And then there was the time at my sister's house (we're Italian-American, I'm the only Hindu) I declined the london broil. Her comment, with a mock bow "oh, now you worship cows!"

I wanted to punch the snot out of her.

Sharmaji

Another thing that people often tell me is that Hinduism and Buddhism lacks compassion. Apparently there is no live in our religions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But what type of organizations do we actually have and to which social causes do we contribute if I may ask?

Many temples feed people every day, or have side charities, like at Palani, where there is a free eye clinic, hospital, dentists, etc.

RSS is the single largest mobile charitable group, and often gets to disasters first, as first responders, ahead of International Red Cross.

Many Guru groups like Amma, Sai organisations, ISHA Foundation, Baba Ramdass have independently run charities. Besides all that, many average Hindus feed people on the street, give lifts, house pilgrims, and more.

Hinduism is large, we have a billion adherents. There are probably 50 000 charities, and for the most part, Hindus themselves are charitable. So it's incredibly widespread.

Sharmaji

Many temples feed people every day, or have side charities, like at Palani, where there is a free eye clinic, hospital, dentists, etc.

RSS is the single largest mobile charitable group, and often gets to disasters first, as first responders, ahead of International Red Cross.

Many Guru groups like Amma, Sai organisations, ISHA Foundation, Baba Ramdass have independently run charities. Besides all that, many average Hindus feed people on the street, give lifts, house pilgrims, and more.

Hinduism is large, we have a billion adherents. There are probably 50 000 charities, and for the most part, Hindus themselves are charitable. So it's incredibly widespread.
Thank you for the information.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you for the information.
Charity is really hard to measure on an individual basis. A friend of mine (now since passed) a university lecturer here, never told anyone this, but I heard about it only at his funeral. For 20 years he gave his neighbour, a legally blind man, a ride to the store for groceries, never accepting payment. After he lost all his hair, he continued going to the same barber fir a 'haircut' once a month, to help support him. Only his wife and family knew these things.

At our temple I'm able to observe the two contrasts in attitude ... the humble man (giver) and the braggart. (taker) The humble man gives $10 000, not asking for a receipt even, and the taker gives $50, demanding attention and a tax receipt. It's a big world.

There are lots of folks on this planet who just love to give anonymously, and Hindus aren't immune. Dana is part of dharma, and most people know it.