• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracles

GoodbyeDave

Philosophers (at least, the competent ones) distinguish two sorts of miracle: strong and weak.

The strong miracles are the ones "contrary to the laws of nature". The most obvious thing about these is that you can't find anyone who's seen one! Things like the dead coming back to life appear in scriptures but not in real life: they are myth, not history.

The weak miracles are miraculous with respect to their context. Some-one prays and is cured. Were they cured by the god to whom they prayed? Did their belief give them the power of healing (which has been scientifically confirmed to exist)? Did the god to whom they prayed give them the ability? Who knows.

Incidentally, Hume's famous rule that one should always disbelieve in events "contrary to the laws of nature" fails on two counts. Firstly, it assumes that we actually know all the laws of nature. Secondly, it would block any acceptance of phenomena which appear to contradict our current knowledge. "Zero electrical resistance? Impossible — check your apparatus."

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am open to psychological counselling: maybe I should become a Christian who Jesus saves?

Or how about an atheist who does not need bronze age stories of a god sitting on their shoulder telling them what is right and what is wrong... Now that would be a miracle.

Re "Jesus Saves"

Many years ago i was driving through a rather insalubrious district of manchester. I passed a church with a large sign "Jesus saves fallen women"

Underneath someone had written in bold black ink "ask him to save one for me"

Shantanu

Or how about an atheist who does not need bronze age stories of a god sitting on their shoulder telling them what is right and what is wrong... Now that would be a miracle.

Re "Jesus Saves"

Many years ago i was driving through a rather insalubrious district of manchester. I passed a church with a large sign "Jesus saves fallen women"

Underneath someone had written in bold black ink "ask him to save one for me"
I got nothing from my God Delusion suing the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for millions of pounds but was instead found to be suffering from persistent delusional disorder to be controlled by heavy medication of antipsychotic risperidone and anti-depressant sertraline by the UK Mental Health authorities: I should have listened to Richard Dawkins, the master of atheism with scientific backing or to @Aupmanyav my guru from Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board days. Please can you help me instead? - I want to know the truth.

Last edited: