• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind/Body Distinctness

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It's certainly not in my big toe. :D

The mind is the living, functioning brain. There is no mind without a brain (feel free to point one out if you can find one).
Doesn't Descartes method of doubt suggest that a conceptualisation of mind that requires body is incomplete?
My understanding of Descartes is that it is conceivable that minds might exist independently of brains. If you think it is inconceivable, why?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Doesn't Descartes method of doubt suggest that a conceptualisation of mind that requires body is incomplete?
My understanding of Descartes is that it is conceivable that minds might exist independently of brains. If you think it is inconceivable, why?

Just about anything is conceivable. The question is whether or not there is evidence of minds without brains, especially considering that the minds we are familiar with are the functioning of brains. Without that evidence, why believe minds without brains exist, or even can exist?

eudaimonia,

Mark

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Just about anything is conceivable. The question is whether or not there is evidence of minds without brains, especially considering that the minds we are familiar with are the functioning of brains. Without that evidence, why believe minds without brains exist, or even can exist?

eudaimonia,

Mark

The problem I have is that I can comprehend that our brains can register things. On the other hand Phenomenal consciousness presents me with a problem in terms of conceptualisation. Processor like concepts of the mind don't seem to me to offer a satisfactory conceptual framework. Perhaps talk of p.consciousness is a conceptual confusion but, if it were, it seems to me impossible that we would experience it (p.consciousness).
My intuition is that we are currently not accurately conceiving of either mind or consciousness. I think that an accurate concept of mind would be able to dispense with the problem raised by Descartes which our current concept cannot. I think that is the relevance, perhaps it's a question of language?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Doesn't Descartes method of doubt suggest that a conceptualisation of mind that requires body is incomplete? My understanding of Descartes is that it is conceivable that minds might exist independently of brains. If you think it is inconceivable, why?
Good question! I think that there is nothing that does not require something else for existence. For instance, "I" requires an awareness of a world of "things" (including body; breathing, physical groundedness, etc.) in contrast to "I". That is how "I am". That awareness is consciousness, and it is brought about by "thinking" (thing-ing). Although I haven't read his work in particular, I think that Descartes "I think, therefore I am," captures the idea that thinking (and therefore an agent of thinking, like body) necessitates the "I".

Here is another idea to toy with. Could "things" be considered the agency of "I"? Need we look any further? The contrast between things (me and other, "I" and "not-I") includes body, it includes mind, it includes thinking, it even includes a mysterious soul if we allocate that, in all its indistinctness, to being a "thing."

All it takes to "be" is to be in relation to things.

The seat of consciousness, but that's not good enough, what's consciousness?The question you put to me is one I've put to myself and I don't know.
Consciousness is a thing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is a "'thing' symbol"?
A "thing" in symbol form; that is to say everything as we know it.

If I ask you to look at the same thing from two different perspectives but tell you that you have actually viewed two separate objects then you will believe you have viewed two distinct objects. When I reveal to you the truth, you will then see that the two objects were not distinct at all and it was simply that your understanding was incomplete.
It might be that this is the case for the body and the mind.
That's one way of looking at it. Another might be that if I look at a mountain from one side, and then look at it from another side, it might look like two completely different mountains, although it is one mountain. But in fact, what you are looking at is two distinct and unique sides of the mountain, and that whatever may be "the whole mountain" is not observable from any particular perspective. In that case, "complete understanding" ("the truth") is not possible and we have to settle for as complete an understanding as we can garner from combining the perspectives available to us.

What I meant by this is whether the mind was non-existent but simply the result of the brain reflecting upon itself or whether the brain was non-existent but simply the result of the mind reflecting upon itself.
If it is a result, how can it be non-existent? Doesn't it have existence as a result?

But would "two ways of perceiving" not be two things? For instance, if I perceive your reply as a complement, and yet I perceive it as an insult, wouldn't that be two things?

So you are saying:
I perceive A to have property p
I perceive A to have property q
Therefore A is distinct from A?

That would break logical laws.

Would it not be more reasonable to say
Therefore A has both property p and property q
No, I'm more like saying:

I perceive A to have property p by one perspective
I perceive A to have property q by another perspective
Therefore, from each perspective A appears to me to have distinct properties, i.e. is two different things.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mind is the common factor between the soul and the body. We realize our bodies through our mind, but we can also sense ourselves out of our bodies after death, through our minds too.

The mind is the core of the our souls, IMO. The body is just a machine we used on this earth to live, but we can live somewhere else in another condition of living without the need for the body, but we can't live as if we have a body in that condition.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So you are saying:
Therefore A is distinct from A?

That would break logical laws.

Would it not be more reasonable to say
Therefore A has both property p and property q

I see what you are trying to say here, but I think it's more like

1) I perceive A to have property p
2) YOU perceive A to have property q
Therefore:
You're perception of A =\= my perception of A,
Therefore, we are not seeing the same thing.
Therefore, It is two different things.

Actually, it could be better put as

1) I perceive A to be q
2) you perceive A to be p
therefore, I think A=q, you think A=p
therefore, I am not seeing A, but am seeing q
you are not seeing A, but are seeing p
Therefore, two different things.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Consciousness is a thing.
I think it may be many many things.
I think its an example of the nature of our language determining the thoughts we can have.
I think the word consciousness is incapable of conveying the range of complex meaning applied to it.
Eg-
If I asked you what are you conscious of here and now your answer is a memory of consciousness.
Calculations are performed consciously, that is a different consciousness than the one that experiences love.
We can be aware on a motor level of things that we are not 'conscious' of eg hollow face illusion.
We can be 'conscious' of things that are not physically there eg phantom pain in amputees.
It's like a bar of soap - every time you try and think of consciousness it has slipped into the past.
So although I think that and more, I still haven't got a clue.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
I don't see how consciousness can be a thing. It can be an activity, or a property, or a relationship, but a thing?

eudaimonia,

Mark

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
I would refer to activites, propoerties and relationships as things.

Why? Since they are activities, properties, and relationships *of* things.

I think that distinction is crucial for avoiding all kinds of logic errors.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't see how consciousness can be a thing. It can be an activity, or a property, or a relationship, but a thing?

eudaimonia,

Mark
Is an activity a thing? is a property a thing? is a relationship a thing? Everything is a thing.

Edit: Oops, it's already been answered.