• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meaning/Purpose of Life

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It is certainly interesting to see a Christian with this view.
Don't most interpret that quote as meaning that God is omniscient?

I agree with Dawny and I also don't think this is a particularly unusual POV for Christians.

budhabee

I think im on the Dali Lama's side. I think we are here in order to be happy. I think every individual probably must come to the conclusion if they are happy or not. Even thru pain, sudden loss, illness, defeat, wars, religious wars, political wars.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think im on the Dali Lama's side. I think we are here in order to be happy. I think every individual probably must come to the conclusion if they are happy or not. Even thru pain, sudden loss, illness, defeat, wars, religious wars, political wars.

What exactly has the Dali Lama said?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'm with Zenzero, this carnal existence here really has no purpose, but we can give it purpose. I have to believe that if for no other reason we exist to love and be shown love by others.

Or maybe we exist because our instincts tell us to. We don't need a driving force behind reasoning to exist. Like a bug, all he wants is to reproduce and survive, to become what so many hands have countlessly sought in vain.

BruceDLimber

I find it interesting the idea that God loved humans before He created us.
I wonder what it is that he loves! Are there more indepth explanations?

I know of none answering that question, no, although there are many other relevant passages, including this one!:

CCXXII "Man is the supreme Talisman. Lack of a proper education hath, however, deprived him of that which he doth inherently possess. Through a word proceeding out of the mouth of God he was called into being; by one word more he was guided to recognize the Source of his education; by yet another word his station and destiny were safeguarded. The Great Being saith: Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom."
"Gleanings," pp. 259-260

Best! :)

Bruce