• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe its not misinformation, but rather doublespeak.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually that what the Confederacy maintained as it rebelled against the Union.
Forgive me, it’s been a while since my world history classes.

The confederacy maintained your constitution?
I thought the confederacy rebelled and was ultimately quashed by your Union. So does that mean your constitution was reconstituted and changed as a result?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Some people are just less engaged than
others regarding a country's behavior &
our civil liberties. And some of us more so.

For those less concerned to disparage those
who care more seems the worst kind of cynical.
You’re taking this more personally than I thought you would.
I assumed that you were well aware of my dry, cynical and insulting sense of humour. Apologies.

But I disparage the US as much as I do my own country. Those who can’t bear that happening have too much blind loyalty to their country, imo.
My country is a country of thieves and drunkards. We are kangaroo eating, crocodile hopping idiots, trying to avoid the world’s craziest and scariest wildlife. We are coffee snobs and our accent is a blind drunken grab bag of nonsense

See? I mock everyone the same.

Sure we should care about civil liberties. We should strive to make our country a worthy place to live, a place of human dignity and respect.
That I don’t worship civil liberties comes from the fact that we don’t have the same reverence of our constitution as Americans seem to.
Merely an observation. I haven’t seen much to the contrary so far

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You’re taking this more personally than I thought you would.
You're unexpectedly unconcerned with civil liberties
& unfavorable to constitutional protections.
I assumed that you were well aware of my dry, cynical and insulting sense of humour. Apologies.
I assumed you meant what you said.
(I take things literally...no nuance....no subtext...no sense of humor.)
But I disparage the US as much as I do my own country. Those who can’t bear that happening have too much blind loyalty to their country, imo.
I disparage all countries.
But our Constitution is the only thing preventing us from
becoming an even more violent oppressive theocracy.
To advocate that it shouldn't get in the way of this agenda
will earn my scorn.
My country is a country of thieves and drunkards.
We put those people in government so that they're
not out in society posing a threat.
We are kangaroo eating, crocodile hopping idiots, trying to avoid the world’s craziest and scariest wildlife. We are coffee snobs and our accent is a blind drunken grab bag of nonsense
We are all exactly what you see being exported from Hollywood.
See? I mock everyone the same.

Sure we should care about civil liberties. We should strive to make our country a worthy place to live, a place of human dignity and respect.
Yet you've never solved the dingo problem.
Now @lewisnotmiller is missing too.
That I don’t worship civil liberties comes from the fact that we don’t have the same reverence of our constitution as Americans seem to.
Well, aside from the fact that your constitution was drafted
by felons evicted from England, & drafted on the back of a
cocktail napkin, it has some pretty cringey language.
So does the Queen own you?
Are you required to be Christian?

WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:

And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Commonwealth of other Australasian Colonies and possessions of the Queen:

Be it therefore enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
You're unexpectedly unconcerned with civil liberties
& unfavorable to constitutional protections.

Oh I think you’ve misunderstood me.
I think civil liberties are fantastic (we have a differing history regarding the “fights” than the US though.)
I do not worship any document saying that civil rights are a thing (which is what I meant) because I think there is room for improvement. Always. It is but a legal document, and whilst the legal protection is always a very good safeguard, I think civil liberties comes from an accepting and open society. Not a constitution
We will find new hurdles to overcome as the nuances of humanity start to be noticed more. For instance trans issues has seemingly replaced the fight for gay rights, which in turn seemingly replaced the civil rights movement. Not to say any one of those is insignificant or unworthy of course. All are important issues. Society will continue to evolve and the documents securing civil liberties and rights will continue to evolve with it (hopefully.)
A couple hundred years or so ago neither of our constitutions really considered women to be equal to man, right? The suffragettes had to fight for the vote and all that.
I don’t think either of our constitutions considered (or at least were interpreted to have not considered) people with dark skin to be on par with white people.
Hence I do not worship such documents. I do not think they are unimportant, just flawed and have much room for improvement. Otherwise they’d be considered religious texts, right?

I assumed you meant what you said.
(I take things literally...no nuance....no subtext...no sense of humor.)
Ahh I should have known! You old curmudgeon you ;)
(That was a joke.)

But our Constitution is the only thing preventing us from
becoming an even more violent oppressive theocracy.
To advocate that it shouldn't get in the way of this agenda
will earn my scorn.
Whilst I see that and kind agree with such a sentiment.

I’m less optimistic of your constitution’s ability to prevent this honestly
Before I would have agreed with you completely, but the rising of various fascist movements worldwide recently have made me more pessimistic.
If some in your country or indeed mine want to impose a dictatorship onto us, we will need more than a piece of paper. No matter how highly regarded. Because from what I’ve seen, American style fascists believe they are following the constitution and a violent overthrow is not off limits to them.
Again that’s just what I’ve seen of such “personalities” online. So I sincerely hope I’m wrong. Though I feel like your military would be enough to quell any such attempts.

We put those people in government so that they're
not out in society posing a threat.

We put them in government because we don’t have much of a great choice otherwise.
Even in my own country there is growing disillusionment with the two parties and people seem to favour changing that. Much more than in previous elections anyway.
I mean isn’t President Biden the president elect because he was basically the “anyone but Trump vote?”
(I do not mean to disparage any actual Trump supporter. Just an observation.)

Though I low key agree with you there lol

We are all exactly what you see being exported from Hollywood.
I knew it!!!!:D

Yet you've never solved the dingo problem.
Now @lewisnotmiller is missing too.
OMG a Dingo ate @lewisnotmiller

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@SomeRandom
If you agree to fix that quotation carnage,
I'll agree to read all that.

Ya know....staff could help you use that
function so that text appears properly.
Oh....you're....uh....never mind.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
@SomeRandom
If you agree to fix that quotation carnage,
I'll agree to read all that.

Ya know....staff could help you use that
function so that text appears properly.
Oh....you're....uh....never mind.
Apologies. For some reason when I copied and pasted the ending quote format, it missed the slanted line thing. So it didn’t recognise it.
Isn’t computing fun?
I have since fixed it

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh I think you’ve misunderstood me.
I think civil liberties are fantastic (we have a differing history regarding the “fights” than the US though.)
I do not worship any document saying that civil rights are a thing (which is what I meant) because I think there is room for improvement. Always. It is but a legal document, and whilst the legal protection is always a very good safeguard, I think civil liberties comes from an accepting and open society.
We will find new hurdles to overcome as the nuances of humanity start to be noticed more. For instance trans issues has seemingly replaced the fight for gay rights, which in turn seemingly replaced the civil rights movement. Not to say any one of those is insignificant or unworthy of course. All are important issues. Society will continue to evolve and the documents securing civil liberties and rights will continue to evolve with it (hopefully.)
A couple hundred years or so ago neither of our constitutions really considered women to be equal to man, right? The suffragettes had to fight for the vote and all that.
I don’t think either of our constitutions considered (or at least were interpreted to have not considered) people with dark skin to be on par with white people.
Hence I do not worship such documents. I do not think they are unimportant, just flawed and have much room for improvement. Otherwise they’d be considered religious texts, right?

Ahh I should have known! You old curmudgeon you ;)
(That was a joke.)

Whilst I see that and kind agree with such a sentiment.

I’m less optimistic of your constitution’s ability to prevent this honestly
Before I would have agreed with you completely, but the rising of various fascist movements worldwide recently have made me more pessimistic.
If some in your country or indeed mine want to impose a dictatorship onto us, we will need more than a piece of paper. No matter how highly regarded. Because from what I’ve seen, American style fascists believe they are following the constitution and a violent overthrow is not off limits to them.
Again that’s just what I’ve seen of such “personalities” online. So I sincerely hope I’m wrong. Though I feel like your military would be enough to quell any such attempts.

We put them in government because we don’t have much of a great choice otherwise.
Even in my own country there is growing disillusionment with the two parties and people seem to favour changing that. Much more than in previous elections anyway.
I mean isn’t President Biden the president elect because he was basically the “anyone but Trump vote?”
(I do not mean to disparage any actual Trump supporter. Just an observation.)

Though I low key agree with you there lol

I knew it!!!!:D

OMG a Dingo ate @lewisnotmiller
That's much better.

I don't know if they teach about this in your backward
death trap of a country....but our Constitution can be
& has been amended over the centuries.
And we needn't ask the Queen Of England for permission.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That's much better.

I don't know if they teach about this in your backward
death trap of a country....but our Constitution can be
& has been amended over the centuries.
Actually I do vaguely remember learning that somewheres lol

I’m glad for that. Still the reverence I’ve noticed from Americans in general to the constitution is a bit weird.
Like your pledge of allegiance thing. I know that was a Cold War reaction or whatever so eh, but the whole concept just seems very creepy from an outside perspective.
You guys don’t still do that, do you?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually I do vaguely remember learning that somewheres lol

I’m glad for that. Still the reverence I’ve noticed from Americans in general to the constitution is a bit weird.
Your lack of reverence for a set of laws that grant
civil liberties is a bit weird. To not care much about
such things might indicate having it so easy that you
take liberty for granted. I'm less sanguine about my
rights because we have some scalawags in office.
Like your pledge of allegiance thing. I know that was a Cold War reaction so eh, but the whole concept just seems very creepy from an outside perspective.
You guys don’t still do that, do you?
The Pledge is not even remotely comparable to the
Constitution. The Pledge is stupid, especially the
corrupted version with the "under God" added.

I've never said it. Never will. **** the Pledge. When
it was recited in public school back in the day, I refused.
Pardon my French, but I never saluted any **********
******* flag either.
I haven't heard anyone say it in over half a century.

Oath of Allegiance (Australia) - Wikipedia
Do you still pledge your loyalty to the Queen?
Are you all broken up over the behavior of
her progeny?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Your lack of reverence for a set of laws that grant
civil liberties is a bit weird. To not care much about
such things might indicate having it so easy that you
take liberty for granted. I'm less sanguine about my
rights because we have some scalawags in office.

Like I said, I’m actually a very big supporter of civil rights. I proudly voted to legalise gay marriage in my country when that was a vote (though it shouldn’t have been a vote in the first place but whatever. Government is dumb.)
I just don’t care that much about the paper they’re written on. Outside of a courtroom setting, I could care less. Because people, society and the community decide on rights. We enshrine them in law to deter those who would mistreat others. And I’m glad for that.
But civil liberties all come from grassroots movements. Protests, empathy, compassion and trying to better society moving forward. A piece of paper is nothing but a symbol. Something that is undeniably useful and again I’m grateful for. But it’s not a default. Society had to fight for that in the first place. It didn’t miraculously come from a document.
Like how language is formed but is not solely reliant on dictionaries. They merely document the phenomenon, that’s it.

The Pledge is not even remotely comparable to the
Constitution. The Pledge is stupid, especially the
corrupted version with the "under God" added.

Yeah that always confused me, because I thought America was a secular nation??

I've never said it. Never will. **** the Pledge. When
it was recited in public school back in the day, I refused.
Pardon my French, but I never saluted any **********
******* flag either.
I haven't heard anyone say it in over half a century.

Good on you!!

Oath of Allegiance (Australia) - Wikipedia
Do you still pledge your loyalty to the Queen?
Are you all broken up over the behavior of
her progeny?
I don’t think I’ve ever even seen that occur in my life. Certainly not in school where your pledge of allegiance seems to occur on the regular. According to your media anyway

I’m sure there’s a variation of it used in citizenship rituals. And likely when you’re in the armed forces one might have to use it.

Also I could care less about the Royal Family. Only Brits care about them lol

Like I said, I have never in my life even heard of such a pledge being performed. Even during national official events. Like the Olympics or elections or what have you.

In contrast I know the US pledge of allegiance by heart simply due to it being used in even children’s media. Which is a bit weird now that I think of it.
Still that’s kind of funny, tbh.
I know more about America’s pledges to their country than my own, simply due to entertainment media lol

Yeah still looking more creepy by comparison, ngl
But it’s good that it seems to have been phased out

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like I said, I’m actually a very big supporter of civil rights. I proudly voted to legalise gay marriage in my country when that was a vote (though it shouldn’t have been a vote in the first place but whatever.
That sounds like "reverence" to me.
I just don’t care that much about the paper they’re written on. Outside of a courtroom setting, I could care less. Because people, society and the community decide on rights. We enshrine them in law to deter those who would mistreat others. And I’m glad for that.
"Enshrine" suggests "reverence" too.

I see your game here....
Your use of "reverence" is naught but mischief.
When you value something, you're a "supporter".
When we value something, you turn it into something
smacking of religion, ie, "reverence".
I don't do fairies, angels, gods, spirits, ghosts, sprites,
Satan, heaven, hell, or any other such foolishness.
But civil liberties all come from grassroots movements. Protests, empathy, compassion and trying to better society moving forward. A piece of paper is nothing but a symbol. Something that is undeniably useful and again I’m grateful for. But it’s not a default. Society had to fight for that in the first place. It didn’t miraculously come from a document.
That's where you're wrong.
Useful rights have arisen our Constitution because of
courts' interpreting it, eg, Miranda notices, recording cops.
(No miracles were needed.)
Yeah that always confused me, because I thought America was a secular nation??
We have a secular Constitution, but the nation
is a mix of heathens & believers. Most are
Christian. And many of those gots that old tyme
religion, & would love to impose it upon all.
I know more about America’s pledges to their country than my own, simply due to entertainment media lol
I recall only a portion...
"the country for Richard Stans"
Yeah still looking more creepy by comparison, ngl
But it’s good that it seems to have been phased out
At least you backward upside downers finally
got gay marriage (after we did). We have it cuz
SCOTUS recognized it as a constitutional right.
Prior to that, Congress & Presidents wouldn't
authorize it. This includes illiberal liberals like
Clinton & Obama, who thought marriage was
only for heterosexuals, according to God.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds like "reverence" to me.

I hold no reverence for civil rights. I believe them to be ethical. But like I said, repeatedly even, I don’t care about the actual paper they’re printed on. Pretty sure the constitution is an actual document though

American culture enshrines the constitution as this document that bestows rights and freedoms. That’s great. I’m happy for it. But the reverence for the specific document is what I’m taking about when I speak of reverence. Not the applications
I feel I’ve been clear on this. But I’m also a bit of alcoholic so I apologise if I wasn’t

"Enshrine" suggests "reverence" too.
I used the word enshrine because I lacked a better word. Sometimes the English language just falls short
Which is odd given how intense it is, but what are ya gonna do?

I see your game here....
Your use of "reverence" is naught but mischief.
When you value something, you're a "supporter".
When we value something, you turn it into something
smacking of religion, ie, "reverence".
I don't do fairies, angels, gods, spirits, ghosts, sprites,
Satan, heaven, hell, or any other such foolishness.
I have been very clear on this. I am specifically speaking of your reverence to your constitution in particular.
The reverence US culture seemingly has to a literal piece of paper. Not to the actual rights society bestows to folks that also have to be fought for. I’m sure such reverence to such outcomes is universal to a degree. The reverence American culture apparently has to your specific constitution is seemingly unique. Come now. I know you’re not obtuse. You is smart. Far smarter than me.

That's where you're wrong.
Useful rights have arisen our Constitution because of
courts' interpreting it, eg, Miranda notices, recording cops.
(No miracles were needed.)

We have Miranda notices too. We didn’t need your constitution to have them.
Though I suppose to be fair, I’m not sure where ours came from. Legal system probably. Someone using it as a way out?I’m not well versed in such matters.
Now I’m kind of curious. Hmm

We have a secular Constitution, but the nation
is a mix of heathens & believers. Most are
Christian. And many of those gots that old tyme
religion, & would love to impose it upon all.
I recently saw a documentary about the Evangelical movement of America. Very interesting. What do you think of the movement?
Because I’m not sure I fully understand it

I recall only a portion...
"the country for Richard Stans"
Oooh.
Who’s Richard? I know the nickname of Richard is a dirty word. So is that why they were stans? Or is he a real guy?

(Wow, I have a really dirty mind lol)

At least you backward upside downers finally
got gay marriage (after we did). We have it cuz
SCOTUS recognized it as a constitutional right.
Prior to that, Congress & Presidents wouldn't
authorize it. This includes illiberal liberals like
Clinton & Obama, who thought marriage was
only for heterosexuals, according to God.

Amen to that.

I remember being very impressed when the US legalised Gay Marriage. A real show of freedom and compassion. I was happy when that happened.

Disappointed (though not surprised) with the attempts to shoot it down. But that’s not a US specific problem, not really. That’s just politics being politics, I guess. So that’s not a criticism by any means. Your SCOTUS did the right thing and upheld freedom

Speaking of, do you think they will really get rid of Roe V Wade?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hold no reverence for civil rights. I believe them to be ethical.
I bet you're one of those who insists that
0.9999... doesn't exactly equal one, & that
they're greatly different numbers.
American culture enshrines the constitution as this document that bestows rights and freedoms.
Tis good that they do.
Although not as much or in the manner I prefer.
That’s great. I’m happy for it. But the reverence for the specific document is what I’m taking about when I speak of reverence. Not the applications
I feel I’ve been clear on this. But I’m also a bit of alcoholic so I apologise if I wasn’t
Reverence schmereverence.
Bet ya canna argue against that!
The reverence US culture seemingly has to a literal piece of paper.
There's where you misunderstand. You mistake it for an idol,
Golden Tablets, or a religious graven image as it were.

The words could be on paper, parchment, cardboard, wood,
stone, or a USB drive. What matters isn't the artifact itself,
but that we've long agreed upon the principles written on it.
Government's leaders & minions contract to uphold it.
Historical documents providing context are also necessary.
With it, we know where we stand (with some +/- tolerance
due to interpretation).
We have Miranda notices too. We didn’t need your constitution to have them.
Duh.
Our Constitution wouldn't be fundamental law in your country.
You guys have your own...by the Queen's grace, of course.
Though I suppose to be fair, I’m not sure where ours came from. Legal system probably. Someone using it as a way out?I’m not well versed in such matters.
Now I’m kind of curious. Hmm
You could seek out that original cocktail napkin it's written on.
(I think the stains were from chicken wings.)
I recently saw a documentary about the Evangelical movement of America. Very interesting. What do you think of the movement?
Because I’m not sure I fully understand it
I've no concern with religious movements, unless they
try to subvert our Constitution & laws. BTW, I was in
public school, refusing to say the required Christian
prayer when SCOTUS ruled that unconstitutional.
This happened despite the will of the people being to
force it upon us. Constitutions are useful.
Oooh.
Who’s Richard? I know the nickname of Richard is a dirty word. So is that why they were stans? Or is he a real guy?
(Wow, I have a really dirty mind lol)
I searched & found...
100 Years of The New York Times: On Language - May 27, 1979;'I Led the Pigeons to the Flag' (Published 1996)
Excerpted...
William Safire has written On Language for the Magazine since 1979. He selected the column adapted here as a favorite.

The most saluted man in America is Richard Stans. Legions of schoolchildren place their hands over their hearts to pledge allegiance to the flag, "and to the republic for Richard Stans." With all due patriotic fervor, the same kids salute "one nation, under guard." Some begin with "I pledge a legion to the flag," others with "I led the pigeons to the flag."

This is not a new phenomenon. When they come to "one nation, indivisible," this generation is as likely to say, "One naked individual" as a previous generation was to murmur, "One nation in a dirigible," or "One national and a vegetable." ...
I remember being very impressed when the US legalised Gay Marriage. A real show of freedom and compassion. I was happy when that happened.
Sounds like you "revere" freedom & compassion.
The Constitution often serves that purpose for us.
And it was the only thing standing between us &
Trump's seizing a 2nd term by fiat.
Speaking of, do you think they will really get rid of Roe V Wade?
I don't know.
They might give it the boot.
They might modify it.
But rest assured, Jesus is consulting with them.
And the justices are combing thru the Bible for
guidance & legal precedent. Rumor has it that
they had a seance to commune with Billy Graham.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I bet you're one of those who insists that
0.9999... doesn't exactly equal one, & that
they're greatly different numbers.
Well….aren’t they?
I mean in math class to argue that 0.9999 and 1 are not totally different numbers would elicit a lecture on how numbers work, I’m sure.
Tis good that they do.
Although not as much or in the manner I prefer.
Agreed
Reverence schmereverence.
Bet ya canna argue against that!
Ahh you got me there. Darn!

There's where you misunderstand. You mistake it for an idol,
Golden Tablets, or a religious graven image as it were.
I’m merely reacting to how US culture seemingly treats the document.
Tis but an observation based on what I’ve seen.

The words could be on paper, parchment, cardboard, wood,
stone, or a USB drive. What matters isn't the artifact itself,
but that we've long agreed upon the principles written on it.
Government's leaders & minions contract to uphold it.
Historical documents providing context are also necessary.
With it, we know where we stand (with some +/- tolerance
due to interpretation).

Fair enough

Duh.
Our Constitution wouldn't be fundamental law in your country.
You guys have your own...by the Queen's grace, of course.

All hail her majesty lol

Though I kind of have to wonder what the Queen’s role even is these days. I mean even in England I don’t think she can override the Parliament’s rulings.
You could seek out that original cocktail napkin it's written on.
(I think the stains were from chicken wings.)

Hmm I’ll try that

I've no concern with religious movements, unless they
try to subvert our Constitution & laws. BTW, I was in
public school, refusing to say the required Christian
prayer when SCOTUS ruled that unconstitutional.
This happened despite the will of the people being to
force it upon us. Constitutions are useful.

Yeah, I can see that.
They are a very motivated strong voting base though, the evangelicals. At least that’s what I got from the doco

I searched & found...
100 Years of The New York Times: On Language - May 27, 1979;'I Led the Pigeons to the Flag' (Published 1996)
Excerpted...
William Safire has written On Language for the Magazine since 1979. He selected the column adapted here as a favorite.

The most saluted man in America is Richard Stans. Legions of schoolchildren place their hands over their hearts to pledge allegiance to the flag, "and to the republic for Richard Stans." With all due patriotic fervor, the same kids salute "one nation, under guard." Some begin with "I pledge a legion to the flag," others with "I led the pigeons to the flag."

This is not a new phenomenon. When they come to "one nation, indivisible," this generation is as likely to say, "One naked individual" as a previous generation was to murmur, "One nation in a dirigible," or "One national and a vegetable." ...

Haha that’s so cool

Sounds like you "revere" freedom & compassion.
Okay, fine. We both revere freedom. There. Happy now?

The Constitution often serves that purpose for us.
And it was the only thing standing between us &
Trump's seizing a 2nd term by fiat.

Yeah that was certainly something to witness, that’s for sure
I remember the reaction Trump and his supporters had when he lost and it was like watching a soap opera in real time. I couldn’t look away.
Glad your country’s constitution endured, I guess.
Like if he tried that it would be a direct violation of your constitution, right? And your military would have intervened. Is that right?

I don't know.
They might give it the boot.
They might modify it.
But rest assured, Jesus is consulting with them.
And the justices are combing thru the Bible for
guidance & legal precedent. Rumor has it that
they had a seance to commune with Billy Graham.
Lol that Billy Graham, I’m telling you. Troublemaker, mark my words.

Hopefully your government can strengthen legal protections on abortion in other ways.
Because like I said, I can only envision some bad outcomes overall from outlawing it on a federal level. But I guess time will tell

I’m sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop, really. Such a reversal could embolden pro life hardliners here. And I kind of want to avoid the debate for now. It’s so exhausting, honestly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well….aren’t they?
I mean in math class to argue that 0.9999 and 1 are not totally different numbers would elicit a lecture on how numbers work, I’m sure.
I put dots after the 0.999.
That means the last number repeats infinitely.
so 0.999... = 1 exactly.
The proof is simple & fun.
I’m merely reacting to how US culture seemingly treats the document.
Tis but an observation based on what I’ve seen.
I claim greater expertise on how we view our
Constitution. You've only the media to get
you impressions. I occasionally interact with
real people here.
Though I kind of have to wonder what the Queen’s role even is these days. I mean even in England I don’t think she can override the Parliament’s rulings.
Your constitution gives her the authority
to command you to fall on your sword.
Okay, fine. We both revere freedom. There. Happy now?
Yes...deliriously so.
Yeah that was certainly something to witness, that’s for sure
I remember the reaction Trump and his supporters had when he lost and it was like watching a soap opera in real time. I couldn’t look away.
Glad your country’s constitution endured, I guess.
Like if he tried that it would be a direct violation of your constitution, right? And your military would have intervened. Is that right?
Yes.
Yes...ideally.
Lol that Billy Graham, I’m telling you. Troublemaker, mark my words.
Hopefully your government can strengthen legal protections on abortion in other ways.
Because like I said, I can only envision some bad outcomes overall from outlawing it on a federal level. But I guess time will tell
Abortion rights look likely to be curbed for a spell.
But eventually, they'll return in full force when the
pendulum swings.
I’m sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop, really. Such a reversal could embolden pro life hardliners here. And I kind of want to avoid the debate for now. It’s so exhausting, honestly.
We are at peace.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I put dots after the 0.999.
That means the last number repeats infinitely.
so 0.999... = 1 exactly.
The proof is simple & fun.
Ahh I thought the dot after was just autocorrect lol

My mistake

I claim greater expertise on how we view our
Constitution. You've only the media to get
you impressions. I occasionally interact with
real people here.

Fair point

Your constitution gives her the authority
to command you to fall on your sword.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. The Queen’s role is more symbolic than anything. Though I suppose she can have final say on certain international affairs without Parliament’s permission.

Yes...deliriously so.

Lol. They’re certainly an interesting cast of characters, that’s for sure

Yes.
Yes...ideally.

Well I hope it never has to come to that. We do need our Americastani friends to have their government intact, for all our sakes

Abortion rights look likely to be curbed for a spell.
But eventually, they'll return in full force when the
pendulum swings.

Logically I know you’re right. I mean public opinion favours abortion rights overall, yeah?But it’s hard not to at least worry about “collateral damage” that may result during the intermission.
Miscarriages being looked at in legal proceedings, ectopic pregnancies killing women due to health professionals fearing legal repercussions etc
I just don’t want that to be a reality. Especially in one of the world’s wealthiest first world nations. I dunno, it’s hard not to get somewhat emotional.

We are at peace.
*exhales deeply*
Alright