• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe its not misinformation, but rather doublespeak.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That's actually a very astute observation.

Particularly the editions of dictionarys past and present and how words are being manipulated through doublespeak and changed to suit whatever the landscape happens to be.

Doth thou speaketh English?
Nay, I sayeth thou speaketh a comical mod’rn lanaguage. Thou art a jester. Now parry, you knave!!!

Seriously?
Forgive me, but this is getting a tad conspiratorial don’t you think?
Try reading Beowulf in its original tongue, that being Old English.
Try reading The Canterbury Tales in Middle English.

Language evolves, it has always evolved. Dictionaries change, all the time. That’s what it means to have a living language. That’s just how linguistics work.
Language bends to suit our communication needs. If a word is outdated (cough slurs cough) then we acknowledge it’s time has passed and find new ones. That’s how all languages work. A language that refuses to change with the times dies. That’s just reality.

Do you honestly think someone would benefit from a dictionary that was printed before many words were even coined in the lexicon?
How about from a dictionary that was printed before say, the internet? Before fax machines?
What if you need to look up what a fax does?

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Nay, I sayeth thou speaketh a comical mod’rn lanaguage. Thou art a jester. Now parry, you knave!!!

Seriously?

Language evolves, it has always evolved. Dictionaries change, all the time. That’s what it means to have a living language. That’s just how linguistics work.

Do you honestly think someone would benefit from a dictionary that was printed before many words were even coined in the lexicon?
How about from a dictionary that was printed before say, the internet? Before fax machines?

Here is what is at play in the end as off course a sort of overreduction using an everyday word, the verb "be".
Definition of BE
1a: to equal in meaning : have the same connotation as : SYMBOLIZE God is love January is the first month let x be 10
b: to have identity with : to constitute the same idea or object as The first person I met was my brother.
c: to constitute the same class as These three books are the authoritative works on the president's life.
d: to have a specified qualification or characterization The leaves are green.
e: to belong to the class of the fish is a trout Keeping this room clean is your responsibility.—used regularly in senses 1a through 1e as the copula of simple predication
2a: to have an objective existence : have reality or actuality : LIVEI think, therefore I am
b: to have, maintain, or occupy a place, situation, or positio nthe book is on the table
c: to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted —used only in infinitive form let him be
d: to take place : OCCUR the concert was last night
e: to come or go has already been and gone has never been to the circus

The cat is black
You are wrong

Now it is newspeak to point out so some people that is not the same definition for the word "be", because both are facts. ;) :D

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Here is what is at play in the end as off course a sort of overreduction using an everyday word, the verb "be".

The cat is black
You are wrong

Now it is newspeak to point out so some people that is not the same definition for the word "be", because both are facts. ;) :D
Well now you’re just being Double plus ungood!!!!
;);)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Seriously?

Language bends to suit our communication needs. If a word is outdated (cough slurs cough) then we acknowledge it’s time has passed and find new ones. That’s how all languages work. A language that refuses to change with the times dies. That’s just reality.

It's why thouest mustest seekest thine abridged version, lestest thou go thine wayest as myest goodest friendus Biggus Dickus.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's why thouest mustest seekest thine abridged version, lestest thou go thine wayest as myest goodest friendus Biggus Dickus.

There is double speak and then there is controlling dissent by claiming the correct understanding as such. You do it a lot and I do it a lot. The difference is I know we do it both, where as you sometimes claim that you are not doing it. :)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh thou knowest Biggus Dickus, doth thou?

(Also low key thank you so much for giving me a reason to post this lol)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Do you have some examples?

A great example would be Trump's use of the phrase "fake news." When he used it, it was deliberately to attach a negative connotation to the press while simultaneously having a general way of handling bad press about him. The phrase, which is literally referring to news that is purposefully untrue, now has a connotation that dominates its usage, and it is political driven.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Special education teacher. I literally teach everything! :D
Ahh you take the ”interesting” cases.
My hats off to you

No but seriously my aunt worked in special education. (She’s retired now)
Such meaningful and interesting work. She’s a strong willed woman, that’s for sure lol

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
No but seriously, @Twilight Hue
Are you going to engage in what I asked of you?
Dictionaries have changed significantly. Not just in the so called “PC era” but in literally every decade going back to the 1600s.
Updates to language, updates to medical terminology, updates to terminology in general, updates due to the slang of the era.

What makes those changes, and some were rather drastic I’d imagine, different to the modern era?
And before you answer, my grandfather would have called the updating of the definition of the word “doctor” to include a female physician a result of “absolute modern madness.”
(Women were nurses at best in his generation. Generally speaking.)
I’m just curious

Twilight Hue

No but seriously, @Twilight Hue
Are you going to engage in what I asked of you?
Dictionaries have changed significantly. Not just in the so called “PC era” but in literally every decade going back to the 1600s.
Updates to language, updates to medical terminology, updates to terminology in general, updates due to the slang of the era.

What makes those changes, and some were rather drastic I’d imagine, different to the modern era?
And before you answer, my grandfather would have called the updating of the definition of the word “doctor” to include a female physician a result of “absolute modern madness.”
(Women were nurses at best in his generation. Generally speaking.)
I’m just curious
It's why abridged dictionaries are beneficial. It shows the changes made, and the subsequent meaning it applies with along with its etymology.

Its a very good tracker in terms of how words are being minupulated and re-termed over time and how radical and disassociated it has become in comparison to its root meaning.

Edit: I meant abridged dictionaries. Changed post to reflect the correction.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
It's why unabridged dictionaries are beneficial. It shows the changes made, and the subsequent meaning it applies with along with its etymology.

Its a very good tracker in terms of how words are being minupulated and re-termed over time and how radical and disassociated it has become in comparison to its root meaning.
Unabridged dictionaries?
Forgive me, I’m Australian. So we only have you know, dictionaries.
(Abridged texts are solely for people who can’t read the classics properly :p)
Can you give me examples as to the differences and the links, if you would be so kind

Also, root changes? Are you seriously talking semantics right now? Really?

Twilight Hue

Unabridged dictionaries?
Forgive me, I’m Australian. So we only have you know, dictionaries.
(Abridged texts are solely for people who can’t read the classics properly :p)
Can you give me examples as to the differences and the links, if you would be so kind
It's explained right in the op video.