• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matthew 25 and signs of the Second Coming

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
The relevant verses are Matthew 25:31-46. In these verses, the Christ says that when he returns to the world, humanity will be divided into two - those on the left and those on the right - the goats and the sheep. The division will be entirely based on the people's attitude to the 'least of these' - ie the poorest of the poor, the most oppressed, the worst down-trodden.

In verses 41-43, he goes on to say '‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

Putting these verses in today's context, I see food of the hungry as programs like the foodstamp program; looking after the sick as programs like Medicaid, Obamacare, Medicare; welcoming strangers as welcoming immigrants/refugees; and taking care of those in prison as the previous administration's clemency program.

Just as the Christ predicted, the country is divided bitterly into two polarized groups with diametrically opposite views regarding such programs.

So do you think the perfect match between the Christ's prophesy and the most contentious issues of today is a mere coincidence?

I think this division in the country (and perhaps the world) is the surest sign that the Return of the Christ is imminent. What do you think?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The relevant verses are Matthew 25:31-46. In these verses, the Christ says that when he returns to the world, humanity will be divided into two - those on the left and those on the right - the goats and the sheep. The division will be entirely based on the people's attitude to the 'least of these' - ie the poorest of the poor, the most oppressed, the worst down-trodden.

In verses 41-43, he goes on to say '‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

Putting these verses in today's context, I see food of the hungry as programs like the foodstamp program; looking after the sick as programs like Medicaid, Obamacare, Medicare; welcoming strangers as welcoming immigrants/refugees; and taking care of those in prison as the previous administration's clemency program.

Just as the Christ predicted, the country is divided bitterly into two polarized groups with diametrically opposite views regarding such programs.

So do you think the perfect match between the Christ's prophesy and the most contentious issues of today is a mere coincidence?

I think this division in the country (and perhaps the world) is the surest sign that the Return of the Christ is imminent. What do you think?

There are several aspects of this verse that interest me.

(1) The sheep, presumably meaning those who are saved, are distinguished by what they do to assist those most in need. There is a parallel with the good Samaritan story.

(2) There is no mention whatsoever of declared Faith, to be saved. So one who declares themselves Christian, but does not distinguish himself by his good works is not saved.

(3) The qualities of helping others in need is part of any true religion, not just Christianity.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

If you've ever read the story about the people who were looking after the sick outside the temple. People would bring out the sick in order to recieve alms (donations), then pocket the money for themselves. So it's not always about putting on the face of charity and getting rich off of it, like so many charities seem to do. And I believe the country is divided on who do you trust.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I think this verse is more referring to Christ's return as Christ was not in prison. But when He returned He was in prison, for forty years and which Christian brought Him food or cared for Him? Still to this day they say He never returned!! Christians never welcomed Him on His Second Coming and never invited Him inside their hearts.

Now when Christ saw this attitude, He was grief-stricken to find that those who claimed loyalty to Him had completely forsook Him.

Bahá'í's have been telling Christians for over a century Christ has returned in the glory of the Father, Baha'u'llah , but to what end? Neither will they look into it or take it seriously yet they claim to love Jesus and wait for Him!!!???? If He is Christ returned what have you got to lose?? But if He is and Christians turn away from Him then they turn away from Jesus also!!!! Think carefully before rejecting what might be the truth.

This is the Day of Judgement when those who truly believe accept Bahaullah and those who just idolise and worship the personality of Jesus instead of the light within become disbelievers.

We should never worship the lamp but the light within. Those who follow the light recognise the light that shines in Jesus is the same light that shines in Bahaullah. But worshippers of the lamp see only the lamp not the light of truth.

Rapha

Its only a coincidence because the lying Lame Stream Media wants everyone to think that it is a 50/50 divide.

In actual fact, Trump probably got 90% - 10% Hellary. Brexit probably 75% to 25% remoaners.

The elite have rigged the statistics to create the Tares and Wheat divide, the 50/50 goats/sheep divide, the 50/50 Brides with filled lit lamps in Matthew 25:10.

So just wait for the rigged World War 3 to occur very soon after Jesus removes His Brides from this sick game show on planet Earth.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Exactly, and it is this that seemingly separates those who believe in Jesus versus those who just believe about Jesus. The "Sheep" believed in Jesus, but the "Goats" only believed about Jesus.

rusra02

Premium Member
I think two key verses help us understand Jesus prophecy. "When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (25:39,40) Jesus was speaking of the sheep doing good to Jesus brothers, not to the poor in general. Jesus brothers are the spirit anointed followers of Christ anointed to be spiritual sons of God and therefore Christ's brothers. (Hebrews 2:11) These Christians "are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs—heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ—provided we suffer together so that we may also be glorified together." (Romans 8:16,17) I believe anointed Christians number in total 144,000 and will rule with Christ as "joint heirs" of God's kingdom. (Revelation 14:1-3) The sheep who in faith do good to these brothers of Christ will receive everlasting life, since their faith moves them to assist Christ's brothers. The goats do nothing to help Christ's brothers and thus suffer the penalty of "everlasting cutting-off" or destruction. (Vs 46)

metis

The sheep who in faith do good to these brothers of Christ will receive everlasting life, since their faith moves them to assist Christ's brothers. The goats do nothing to help Christ's brothers and thus suffer the penalty of "everlasting cutting-off" or destruction. (Vs 46)
But it really doesn't say nor imply just "Christ's brothers" especially since one of the basic teachings found in Christianity and Judaism is that we are all children of God. Plus, the Parable of the Good Samaritan obviously leads in that same direction.

roger1440

I do stuff

Seems like you are implying the United States is some sort of New Jerusalem. There are about 200 nations on the planet right now. When we add to the mix all the nations that came and gone in the last 2000 years we end up with a lot more than 200 nations. People tend to see whatever they want in prophecies. If the United States is the New Jerusalem maybe then Donald Trump may be our savior. The very word “Donald” means “ruler of the world”. Look it up. Oh another thing, one of the underling messages the Jewish prophets had was to, “make Judaism great again”. Then there is me. I wasn’t born of one virgin. I was born of two virgins. Both my parents were born early September. I was born less than 100 miles from Bethlehem. Well, not Bethlehem Israel, but Bethlehem Pennsylvania. I’m not even going to start with what my first name really is. You won’t believe me.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Seems like you are implying the United States is some sort of New Jerusalem. There are about 200 nations on the planet right now. When we add to the mix all the nations that came and gone in the last 2000 years we end up with a lot more than 200 nations. People tend to see whatever they want in prophecies. If the United States is the New Jerusalem maybe then Donald Trump may be our savior. The very word “Donald” means “ruler of the world”. Look it up. Oh another thing, one of the underling messages the Jewish prophets had was to, “make Judaism great again”. Then there is me. I wasn’t born of one virgin. I was born of two virgins. Both my parents were born early September. I was born less than 100 miles from Bethlehem. Well, not Bethlehem Israel, but Bethlehem Pennsylvania. I’m not even going to start with what my first name really is. You won’t believe me.
Although my examples of foodstamps/medicaid etc were from the US, this scenario is being played out in most of the developed world. In the UK too, there are two groups - one anti-welfare, anti-immigration,anti-refugee and the other pro-immigration, pro-refugee, pro-welfare. This is true in the many other European countries. (Even in Israel there are two such sides).

But yes, the United States is for better or worse, the center of the world where this division is being played in its extreme form. As for Trump, far from being a Savior, he may be the opposite. He is totally against immigrants/refugees, totally against Medicaid/Medicare, totally for sending more people to prison - I would conclude that he is the King of the 'goats'.

rusra02

Premium Member
But it really doesn't say nor imply just "Christ's brothers" especially since one of the basic teachings found in Christianity and Judaism is that we are all children of God. Plus, the Parable of the Good Samaritan obviously leads in that same direction.
Jesus was responding to a question asked about the greatest command in the Law God gave Moses. The second greatest command to love your neighbor prompted the further question of who was our neighbor. Jesus reply indicates our love of neighbor extends to people of all nations, IMO. I believe Jesus did explicitly refer to "these my brothers" in the prophecy in Matthew 25. Only those anointed with Holy Spirit become Christ's brothers, not all mankind in general.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Why did you switch from "humanity" being divided to the US specifically?

Has there ever been a time in human history where people couldn't divide things this way?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Although my examples of foodstamps/medicaid etc were from the US, this scenario is being played out in most of the developed world. In the UK too, there are two groups - one anti-welfare, anti-immigration,anti-refugee and the other pro-immigration, pro-refugee, pro-welfare. This is true in the many other European countries. (Even in Israel there are two such sides).
You can find people on both sides of virtually every issue. This has always been the case.

But yes, the United States is for better or worse, the center of the world where this division is being played in its extreme form. As for Trump, far from being a Savior, he may be the opposite. He is totally against immigrants/refugees, totally against Medicaid/Medicare, totally for sending more people to prison - I would conclude that he is the King of the 'goats'.
I hate to break it to you, but the US is just another country. It's an interesting country in a lot of ways and I have friends who live there, but it isn't the centre of the universe.

metis

IMO. I believe Jesus did explicitly refer to "these my brothers" in the prophecy in Matthew 25. Only those anointed with Holy Spirit become Christ's brothers, not all mankind in general.
It's possible, but as you stated in your previous sentence, you and I strongly believe that how we are to treat all humanity with compassion and justice permeates Jesus' messages.

For example, there are many churches that spend enormous amounts of time and money to help the poor and downtrodden, regardless of their religion. And then there are others who pretty much only deal with their own kind with the exception of trying to gain converts. BTW, I'm not going to get into which denominations are which.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Why did you switch from "humanity" being divided to the US specifically?

Has there ever been a time in human history where people couldn't divide things this way?
There have always been multiple factions and division in all countries. In India for instance they are often based on language, so there twenty different political parties, just as many religions/castes etc. However, it is now that there are two major extremes in all most every country, very few people in the middle or on the sides. Whether they intended to or not, most people have chosen one side and those have have not yet, will soon do so.

As I said before, for better or worse, the US is the center of world (just as Rome was when the Christ came last time). If you prefer, you can imagine the China or Russia or the UK is just as important as the US and that US is just another country, but that would only be in your imagination.

2ndpillar

Dear ss,
Obama is free to give your money to the poor, I do not object. I just think that forced giving isn't what Mt 25 is about. You are supposed to support the poor freely, not with the IRS holding a gun to your head. The sign of the coming would be the lawlessness (Mt 7:23), and the perversion (Rev 22:15), a clear sign of the liberal left, with their pretension of caring.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Dear ss,
Obama is free to give your money to the poor, I do not object. I just think that forced giving isn't what Mt 25 is about. You are supposed to support the poor freely, not with the IRS holding a gun to your head. The sign of the coming would be the lawlessness (Mt 7:23), and the perversion (Rev 22:15), a clear sign of the liberal left, with their pretension of caring.
Sounds good! You can explain to the Christ when he returns that you opposed social welfare and Medicaid and foodstamps because they were all forced on you by the government or the IRS.

I am sure the Christ will buy your argument and place you squarely among the sheep. Good luck!

2ndpillar

Sounds good! You can explain to the Christ when he returns that you opposed social welfare and Medicaid and foodstamps because they were all forced on you by the government or the IRS.

I am sure the Christ will buy your argument and place you squarely among the sheep. Good luck!

Dear ss,
Those programs are based on the printing of money, in order to procure votes, and not the generosity of the liberal left. If you had been able to have children, you would know that they would have to pay the bill if the system doesn't collapse in the near future. The unfunded liabilities of the U.S. government are approximately 128 trillion dollars. That is around $440,000 for each man woman and child in the U.S. I think maybe it would be better if you helped the people in your neighborhood, and leave the government out of it. I think the commandment is to "not steal", and that would apply to stealing candy from a baby, unborn or not.

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

Jesus was responding to a question asked about the greatest command in the Law God gave Moses. The second greatest command to love your neighbor prompted the further question of who was our neighbor. Jesus reply indicates our love of neighbor extends to people of all nations, IMO. I believe Jesus did explicitly refer to "these my brothers" in the prophecy in Matthew 25. Only those anointed with Holy Spirit become Christ's brothers, not all mankind in general.

Please provide ONE verse that mentions, "Christs anointed brothers".