• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Math Question for Fun!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Suppose you have this two-dimensional pyramid of cups:

images

How can you count the number of cups without counting the cups individually?

Bonus question: Assume this pyramid is turned into a pyramid with four faces, with each face looking like the pyramid in the picture. How many cups are there in that tetrahedral pyramid?

Please use spoiler tags for your answers!

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
that is 4 faces plus the base which is 12X12

i.e. 4x78 + 144 =456
I think that as written it would be a solid pyramid. Not just the faces. My cousin is still working on it. You have to add a series of squares, or wait for my cousin. She is still counting.

Jedster

Suppose you have this one-dimensional pyramid of cups:

images

How can you count the number of cups without counting the cups individually?

Bonus question: Assume this pyramid is turned into a pyramid with four faces, with each face looking like the pyramid in the picture. How many cups are there in that tetrahedral pyramid?

Please use spoiler tags for your answers!
If the pyramid is solid full of cups then the total is

∑n.n from n=12 to n=1
using Σn2 = [n(n+1)(2n+1)]/6
12.13.25/6= 650

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
that is 4 faces plus the base which is 12X12 ETA(assuming the pyramid is not solid or is it?)

i.e. 4x78 + 144 =456

Not solid, no, but the way I have in mind for counting the cups making up the four faces would still different from the above. I'll share later!

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12 = 78 for the 2 dimensional. I was trying to remember if there is a word for that (like factorial, but not factorial) but if there is I can't remember it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12 = 78 for the 2 dimensional. I was trying to remember if there is a word for that (like factorial, but not factorial) but if there is I can't remember it.

And 78 X 12 for the 3 dimensional pyramid.

It's called an arithmetic series.

Jedster

Notice that 1+12 =13, 2+11=13 etc , so you have 6 pairs that each add up to 13

So , if one is inclined , one could easily add up the first 100 integers or even 1000

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think you mean a two-dimensional pyramid, right?

This is an use of the concept of triangular numbers, for fairly obvious reasons.

We clearly have N rows, each with the number of cups of each natural number up to N (inclusively).

That means that, taking the earliest and latests rows together in pairs, we have N/2 x (N + 1) cups if N is even, or (N-1)/2 * (N+1) + N cups if N is odd.

In this case, N is 12, therefore the formula translates into 6 x 13, which means 78 cups in all.

Now, for the three dimensional, four-sided pyramid, we would have twelve levels counting downwards from one to 144 (12 * 12) cups. The higher level has a sole cup, the next higher has four, then 9, 16, ..., 144.

That by its turn amounts to the sum of 12 numbers. Let's describe them as an array C[1..12], where C[1] = 1, C[2] = 4, C[3] = 9, etc, up to C[12] = 144.

Each C[n] is equivalent to n squared, of course. But also to C[n-1] + n + (n - 1). I believe there is a technique called an "evanescent triangle" that helps in detecting this pattern, which I read about long ago.

There is probably some way of making a simpler calculation of the sum, but I fail to conceive of it right now.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Easy way.

It's a pyramid so the cups follow a progression of x+1 for each row

1+2+3...+12 = 78

For the 3D pyramid
It's front + back 78+78 = 156
Plus 2 sides 1+2+3+10 (note the end cups are already counted) =55 *2 =110
Total cups 266

Unless it's a solid pyramid then ???

I hope!