• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masturbation: To Sin or Not to Sin?

yor

In my 43 years of propagating God’s words n the Bible, I have come across numerous people asking me what the Bible says about masturbation: Is it a sin to masturbate or not? Many religious denominations condemn masturbation in whatever manner it is done. In the present Jewish religion, a rabbi has this to say:

“Kabbalah is very explicit about the negative spiritual side-effects of masturbation. The idea is as follows: Your seed is the material by which you procreate; it is the genetic material within you that allows you the opportunity to partner with G-d. When we let human seed go to waste, we squander G-d’s sacred and divine potential

While the Jehovah’s witnesses have this to say:

Watchtower 1976 February 15 pp.122-3 You Must Be Holy Because Jehovah Is Holy

“15 In recent years, homosexuality has swept the world. These homosexuals claim that they are ‘bringing it out of the closet’ and they brag by saying, ‘We are proud to be such.’ It was apparent that this erosion of moral standards could pose a danger or threat for God’s holy people, so the congregations were alerted and wrongdoers were cleaned out. Likewise, unclean practices, such as masturbation, which can be a steppingstone to homosexuality, have been dealt with in a serious, yet understanding…” is defined in the Bible as transgression of the law.

(1 John 3:4) “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”
Everything unrighteous is a sin.
(1 John 5:17) “All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.”
It is a known fact and scientifically accepted that every normal human person experiences occasional lust of the flesh. Even the apostles of Christ testify to this.
(James 1:14) “But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.”
Sexual urges in humans is but as natural as experiencing hunger, thirst, tiredness, etc. It is one of the most important processes in the human body. This feeling is moderated by God’s laws and statutes among His people, like the Israelites, because this is God’s instrument in the process of procreation. The Lord killed Onan when he did not obey God’s law to raise seed for his brother who died, and spilled it on the ground.
(Genesis 38:8-10) “And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother’s wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother’s wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.”
Onan did not masturbate, as others claim. He lied with his brother’s wife to enjoy the pleasure of sex, but at the point of orgasm, he spilled it to the ground in utter defiance of God’s commandment. So, he was condemned to death.
Frankly speaking, most men (and women), if not all, masturbate — especially those without sexual partners. Even those with sexual partners, like husbands and wife do masturbate also, when situations do not allow them to have sexual intercourse; like when a woman is with her ‘monthly visit’ or pregnant and about to deliver her baby. In a clinic, a man is required by a doctor to masturbate when having a physical check up and evaluation in his capacity to bear children.
In the Biblical sense of righteousness, these situations can not be considered as sin. If a married man or woman, a bachelor, or a spinster, do masturbate to refrain from doing evil or infidelity to his or her partner, are you going to consider it a sin?
(1 Corinthians 7:29; 31) “But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none…”
“…And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.”
Scientifically, there is also evil in too much indulgence in everything we do to our body. Overindulgence in eating, drinking, etc. will cause us to sin and scientifically will eventually cause diseases in our bodies
Gluttony is being condemned by the Bible.
(Proverbs 23:20) “Be not among winebibbers, or among gluttonous eaters of meat…”RSV
Overindulgence in masturbation poses psychological and physiological imbalances.
Scientifically, there are benefits of regular, and not overindulging,in masturbation. In recent study, researchers say that They found those who had ejaculated the most between the ages of 20 and 50 were the least likely to develop the cancer. They say that men who ejaculated more than five times a week were a third less likely to develop prostate cancer later in life.
I do not recommend masturbation to anybody, neither do I encourage anybody to make it a scapegoat of their immoral sexual addictions, but I will not judge nor condemn anybody that because of force of circumstances, and not with evil mind, is doing the act. God judges according to the intents of the heart!
(Jeremiah 17:9-10) “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.”
Sins committed by a Christian due to the ‘weakness’ of his flesh is pardonable under God’s mercy.
(Galatians 6:1) “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.”
It is better to marry than to be burned.
(1 Corinthians 7:9) “But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion.” RSV
May the Lord teach your heart of the proper things to do through His words in the Bible.
God Bless.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I would think that the "built-in" ability and discovery to please ourselves could not just be a test from GOD to see whether we would sin or not.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In the present Jewish religion, a rabbi has this to say:

“Kabbalah is very explicit about the negative spiritual side-effects of masturbation. The idea is as follows: Your seed is the material by which you procreate; it is the genetic material within you that allows you the opportunity to partner with G-d. When we let human seed go to waste, we squander G-d’s sacred and divine potential

I wouldn't take that remark as gospel, since the core of the Zohar ('the bible of Kabbalah') is considered by many to be divine erotica, or the interplay between God and the Shekhina.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In my 43 years of propagating God’s words n the Bible, I have come across numerous people asking me what the Bible says about masturbation: Is it a sin to masturbate or not? Many religious denominations condemn masturbation in whatever manner it is done. In the present Jewish religion, a rabbi has this to say:

How is it any less "letting human seed go to waste" to simply allow your sperm to be broken down by your body after a few days?

If sperm truly is "G-d's sacred and divine potential", then isn't the only righteous course of action to engage in procreative sex every other day from puberty until death?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I don't look at it from a religious point of view, but from a physiological one. For men, not expelling the buildup of semen over time will eventually lead to wet dreams (not necessarily meaning that they come from sexual dreams) which can be just be a nuisance. I'd rather expel it on my own terms, tyvm. Though now I have a gf, so all's well ;)

Masourga

In the present Jewish religion, a rabbi has this to say:

"When we let human seed go to waste, we squander G-d’s sacred and divine potential"​

I find this interesting, considering that simply not providing any outlet for the sperm/semen has the same effect. The sperm eventually die and new ones are created. So, according to this rabbi, if we're not supposed to masturbate, and we shouldn't squander the seed, then we should all CONSTANTLY be procreating (that is, having sex with the purpose of pro-creating), in order to please God.

Though... something tells me he wouldn't find that alternative very agreeable either.

challupa

Those phrases from the Bible were written to help increase the numbers of the Jewish people. There was a great threat to their continuation as a people because of constant persecution, captivity etc. by the far stronger nations around them. Therefore it was prudent to make a law that encouraged going forth and multiplying. Obviously things have changed and it would be better if we did less "multiplying"! I don't believe God cares either way. After all why should he?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
So god want's men to have a higher risk of get Prostate cancer and all that. Yeah, no thank you, Masturbation help clean out the prostate and keep it healthy. ^_^

Masturbation is healthy for the body. Why would God stop us from doing something that is healthy?

Besides, the only people who condemn masturbation are the ones who have never tried it. Once they try it they will shut up and realise it is GOOOD!

S-word

Quote....Yor
Onan did not masturbate, as others claim. He lied with his brother’s wife to enjoy the pleasure of sex, but at the point of orgasm, he spilled it to the ground in utter defiance of God’s commandment. So, he was condemned to death.

I don't know how many pairs of underpants I've had to wash because of wet dreams that have occurred during my sleep of the night, and me Father hasn't struck me down yet.

Onan didn't die because he spilt his seed on the ground, I'm sure my God would prefer this, than to watch, as six months later, we decide to terminate the foetus of the unwanted potential human life that is forming in the womb.

No where did God say, "Thou shalt not masturbate," Onan died because he broke the ancestral law, that a brother of one who has died childless, is required to go into his brothers wife to who the dead brother had become one, and to sire a child for his brothers posterity, this Onan refused to do, and for this reason and this reason only, did God terminate his life.

Last edited:

S-word

So god want's men to have a higher risk of get Prostate cancer and all that. Yeah, no thank you, Masturbation help clean out the prostate and keep it healthy. ^_^

So what are you saying Azakel? "I ain't gonna die from no prostate cancer matey."
But in all sincerity I'm with you, I know that wet dreams ain't no sin and neither do I believe that masturbation is a sin.

Last edited:
So what are you saying Azakel? "I ain't gonna die from no prostate cancer matey."
But in all sincerity I'm with you, I know that wet dreams ain't no sin and neither do I believe that masturbation is a sin.
Only if you want to answer, but have you even tried it? Have you experienced just how GOOD it feels? I will not justify it with health reasons, there is nothing wrong with that either, that is a great reason.
I do it simply because it feels good. I will not sugarcoat it for you. It is ******* amazing. Try it and i am sure you won't think that.

S-word

Only if you want to answer, but have you even tried it? Have you experienced just how GOOD it feels? I will not justify it with health reasons, there is nothing wrong with that either, that is a great reason.
I do it simply because it feels good. I will not sugarcoat it for you. It is ******* amazing. Try it and i am sure you won't think that.

Think what? I've already said that I don't believe it to be sinful, but 'I've been married to the same beautiful woman for 46 years, ain't really got no need to mastubate, although the only men who can say that they have never done it are liars and I ain't no liar.

Last edited:

the student

matthew 5:27 it says "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery;'
and
Matthew 5:28 it says "28 but I tell you that everyone who gazes at a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Therefore if you masturbate you are committing adultery.

Think what? I've already said that I don't believe it to be sinful, but 'I've been married to the same beautiful woman for 46 years, ain't really got no need to mastubate, although the only men who can say that they have never done it are liars and I ain't no liar.
Actually, woops. I mis-read certain statements, and for that i apolagise :eek:

You have been married to a beautiful woman who can *satisfy* any needs you have. I am not married. For me to have sex it is illegal ;)