• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Master's in Physics After Computer Science

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have lately been looking into the requirements for different master's programs in physics (especially theoretical physics), and from what I have read so far, it seems that someone with a computer science degree can opt for some of the physics programs.

This would be quite a long-term plan, but I have been looking into this because I would love to end up working a software-related job in a research field (e.g., working in software at CERN). Does anyone here have any information or stories to share about this kind of career path?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I have lately been looking into the requirements for different master's programs in physics (especially theoretical physics), and from what I have read so far, it seems that someone with a computer science degree can opt for some of the physics programs.

This would be quite a long-term plan, but I have been looking into this because I would love to end up working a software-related job in a research field (e.g., working in software at CERN). Does anyone here have any information or stories to share about this kind of career path?
I don't but...... WOW and AMAZING!

If I had a hat, I would tip it off to you! Congratulations on the first accomplishment and a goal that has such great potential

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can't help you out with any info but i think it's a great route to travel. Best of luck

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I could only offer information and personal experience on getting a master's degree in library science. Physics is way beyond my experience, and major congratulations to you on considering that course of study!

I do have a friend who is both a rabbi and a physicist (I've posted about him on this forum before), and I could send him an email if you have any specific questions (that don't breach any national security rules that would prevent him from answering). He got his PhD in physics from the University of California at San Diego and has worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico as well as Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York.

How exciting for you! And also for me, as I hope someday to be able to proudly say that I have TWO friends who are physicists! :)

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I don't know much about physics, but I can say this about chemistry...if you know both chemistry and computers right now, you are golden. I'm old school enough that I had to write my own programs to get a machine to collect data. But today, Instrumentation companies need people who understand the science to advance the software. The original software programs were written to just open and close relays to make the instrument work and collect data...that part is down. what they need now is people who know how to crunch the data into meaningful results, as well as people who know what needs to be measured to add in more relays (if that makes sense).

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't know much about physics, but I can say this about chemistry...if you know both chemistry and computers right now, you are golden. I'm old school enough that I had to write my own programs to get a machine to collect data. But today, Instrumentation companies need people who understand the science to advance the software. The original software programs were written to just open and close relays to make the instrument work and collect data...that part is down. what they need now is people who know how to crunch the data into meaningful results, as well as people who know what needs to be measured to add in more relays (if that makes sense).
Unfortunately, I've always hated computers, ever since tangling with Fortran at university............:mad:

exchemist

Veteran Member

No, I'm a mere chemist, I'm afraid. @Polymath257 may know more.

My only tip about physics as an academic subject is that you need to be able to think in maths. That is a state of nirvana I only attained, briefly, for a few terms, when I opted for the quantum chemistry supplementary subject. (If you've ever seen the Star Trek episode called "Spock's Brain", I felt like Bones after experiencing The Teacher, i.e. magnificent insight, but it faded, sadly. There was a time when I could cheerfully chat over dinner about symmetry point groups and off-diagonal matrix elements but, perhaps to everyone else's relief, it didn't last.) But you may well be the sort of person who can get it. I'm sure you would find it mind-expanding, whatever you do with it subsequently. I confess to being slightly envious. ;)

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
It would be difficult to become an expert in both disciplines. After I got my degree in Computer Science I considered doing course work in other science fields. Instead I self-taught myself the basics of the applications I worked with and focused on advanced post graduate work in Computer Science. I reasoned that I would rely on the subject matter experts and learn just the principles of the applications. That approach worked well for me in positions where I worked with engineers and scientists from many disciplines including physicists. Each field has knowledge bases that are growing exponentially. I don't think it is possible to be an expert in more than one. The physicists need computing professionals that understand the details of computer science and enough physics to be able to understand what they want and can "speak their language". I suggest focusing on computer science and only supplementing with basic courses in physics. You will, no doubt, pick up more physics on the job from the experts more efficiently than taking the full load of physics curriculum.

Heyo

Veteran Member

All physicist I know or have heard of write their own programs. I don't know it but my guess is that everyone working in software at CERN has a physics degree and no-one has a CS degree.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Physics is all about math, so if you can do that (and it seems you can) you should be a roaring success!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh, Fortran was so easy!
I never got over the experience of putting in a program to run overnight, and getting it back next day to find it had not run because I had put a semicolon instead of a colon somewhere. Infuriating.

Mind you, my physical chemistry tutor did get the Physical Chemistry lab computer to play Handel's "Arrival of the Queen of Sheba", using punched tape, which was fun.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't but...... WOW and AMAZING!

If I had a hat, I would tip it off to you! Congratulations on the first accomplishment and a goal that has such great potential

Thank you! There's no accomplishment yet; I just have a bachelor's for now. This would be a longer-term plan! I need to start outlining and working on it now if it is to come to fruition, though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I could only offer information and personal experience on getting a master's degree in library science. Physics is way beyond my experience, and major congratulations to you on considering that course of study!

I do have a friend who is both a rabbi and a physicist (I've posted about him on this forum before), and I could send him an email if you have any specific questions (that don't breach any national security rules that would prevent him from answering). He got his PhD in physics from the University of California at San Diego and has worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico as well as Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York.

How exciting for you! And also for me, as I hope someday to be able to proudly say that I have TWO friends who are physicists! :)

Thanks! I might take you up on that offer as I look more into this career path. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions along the way.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I was never good at chemistry in high school and university, so I don't think it would be the best fit for me. I'm interested in physics because it heavily relies on mathematical thinking and requires advanced math for a lot of applications.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I'm a mere chemist, I'm afraid. @Polymath257 may know more.

My only tip about physics as an academic subject is that you need to be able to think in maths. That is a state of nirvana I only attained, briefly, for a few terms, when I opted for the quantum chemistry supplementary subject. (If you've ever seen the Star Trek episode called "Spock's Brain", I felt like Bones after experiencing The Teacher, i.e. magnificent insight, but it faded, sadly. There was a time when I could cheerfully chat over dinner about symmetry point groups and off-diagonal matrix elements but, perhaps to everyone else's relief, it didn't last.) But you may well be the sort of person who can get it. I'm sure you would find it mind-expanding, whatever you do with it subsequently. I confess to being slightly envious. ;)

The extensive use of math is the main reason I'm looking into such a research career. I believe I have a decent chance of comfortably grasping the required math, especially since I already have a nice head start in the basics (calculus, linear algebra, trigonometry, and statistics, mainly). I'm sure some parts may require a lot of effort or even be a hassle, but what career doesn't involve some hassles nowadays? At least I'd be doing something I loved.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member