• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masculinity

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
When it comes to archetypical masculinity and femininity, Carl Jung's various stages of Anima and Animus development are worth taking a look at. There are different levels to masculinity and femininity, going from the more base to the more refined.
Anima and animus - Wikipedia

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Inspired by a recent discussion here.

What exactly IS masculinity? What makes a 'person', "masculine"?

Feminine?
Masculine or virile traits:
Assertiveness
Social dominance behavior
Competitiveness
Physical strength and stamia
Risk taking
Fortitude
Less verbal
More given to physical aggression and anger
Higher sex drive and goal-oriented sexual behavior

Feminine traits:
Nurturing
Better verbal communication
More socially agreeable

(I can't think of more feminine traits off the top of my head, probably because I don't think about it much whereas masculinity has always interested me a lot. But many of those are based in psychological sex differences because the brains of either sex are slightly different and organized somewhat differently.)

Shaul

Premium Member
Masculinity is simply those things which are characteristics of males. Period.

Oh, and I detest the term "toxic masculinity". It is stupid and sexist.

Feminine?
I think these are mostly terms that only have meaning once you start defining the other term. Both tended to be defined by their opposite within the cultural context. You rarely get anything solid to partake in one way or the other.

7c4.jpg
The soviets right?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, and I detest the term "toxic masculinity". It is stupid and sexist.

It often simply refers to toxic/harmful notions of what "masculinity" is supposed to be. In that sense, I find the term quite useful and applicable to a lot of stereotypically "masculine" traits and behaviors in multiple parts of the world, including extreme jealousy, suppression of natural emotional expression, and looking down on women as subordinate to men or intellectually inferior, among other traits.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Feminine?
Typical dress, behaviors, attitudes, &c, for each sex, vary culturally. Was there a particular culture you were interested in?

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I guess all in all, I'd say its the way a person interacts with the world; their collection of gestures, facial expressions, humor, movements and impulses. Masculinity and femininity are just poles of this mode of being we all have.

I agree.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"...Pretty soon he would be hundreds and hundreds of miles away on the great plains and deserts, and among the mountains of the Far West, and would see buffaloes and Indians, and prairie dogs, and antelopes, and have all kinds of adventures, and maybe get hanged or scalped, and have ever such a fine time, and write home and tell us all about it..."
-- from page 1 of Roughing It by Mark Twain c1878

"And now hath every city sent up her tale of men;
The foot are fourscore thousand, the horse are thousands ten.
Before the gates of Sutrium is met the great array,
A proud man was Lars Porsena upon the trysting day"

--paragraph 11 from the translated ballads of Lays of Ancient Rome

"...And though you be done to the death, what then?
If you battled the best you could,
If you played your part in the world of men,
Why, the Critic will call it good..."

from the poem How Did You Die? by Vance Cooke
President Abraham Lincoln's favorite poem which he often quoted and wished he had written was Mortality by William Knox. -- Abraham Lincoln's Favorite Poem
Two stanzas from the poem:
"...The saint, who enjoyed the communion of Heaven,
The sinner, who dared to remain unforgiven,
The wise and the foolish, the guilty and just,
Have quietly mingled their bones in the dust.

So the multitude goes -- like the flower or the weed
That withers away to let others succeed;
So the multitude comes -- even those we behold,
To repeat every tale that has often been told..."

An article about men's health on apa.org reads:
"...There’s a joke about a man who goes to the doctor complaining that he sees spots. The receptionist asks, “Have you ever seen a doctor?” And he replies, “No. Just the spots.”

The joke gets laughs because it reflects a truth: Men are much less likely than women to look after their health and see physicians. They’re 25 percent less likely to have visited a health-care provider in the past year, and almost 40 percent more likely to have skipped recommended cholesterol screenings, according to the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. As stereotype would have it, nagging from women is the main reason men ever get their health checked out..." -- Why do men die earlier?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Shakespeare, Sonnet 20 -- to his young patron, Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton, who was certainly gay (check out the picture).

A woman’s face with nature’s own hand painted
Hast thou, the master-mistress of my passion;
A woman’s gentle heart, but not acquainted
With shifting change as is false women’s fashion;
An eye more bright than theirs, less false in rolling,
Gilding the object whereupon it gazeth;
A man in hue, all hues in his controlling,
Which steals men’s eyes and women’s souls amazeth.
And for a woman wert thou first created,
Till nature as she wrought thee fell a-doting,
And by addition me of thee defeated
By adding one thing to my purpose nothing.
But since she pricked thee out for women's pleasure,
Mine be thy love and thy love’s use their treasure.​

Wriothesley_southampton.jpg

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Masculinity- Ideal male behavior or characteristics, behavioral patterns and characteristics typically associated with the male sex.

Femininity- Ideal female behavior or characteristics, behavioral patterns and characteristics typically associated with the female sex.

Ares is an exemplar of masculinity. Aphrodite is an exemplar of femininity.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Masculine or virile traits:
Assertiveness
Social dominance behavior
Competitiveness
Physical strength and stamia
Risk taking
Fortitude
Less verbal
More given to physical aggression and anger
Higher sex drive and goal-oriented sexual behavior

Feminine traits:
Nurturing
Better verbal communication
More socially agreeable

(I can't think of more feminine traits off the top of my head, probably because I don't think about it much whereas masculinity has always interested me a lot. But many of those are based in psychological sex differences because the brains of either sex are slightly different and organized somewhat differently.)
Interestingly enough I always saw a lot of those masculine traits more in my mother than in my father, even though she is far more “traditionally feminine” than I am and ever was. And my father who grew up in the 30s was very soft spoken, nurturing and quite socially agreeable. Not saying he wasn’t “traditionally masculine” because he was in many ways.

Maybe that’s just a cross cultural thing though. Idk :shrug:
Like I grew up with one foot in two different cultures. East and West and whilst I noticed a lot of cross over with what are considered traditional masculine and feminine traits, there was also a lot of criss crossing of those traits as well. If that makes sense?

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
It often simply refers to toxic/harmful notions of what "masculinity" is supposed to be. In that sense, I find the term quite useful and applicable to a lot of stereotypically "masculine" traits and behaviors in multiple parts of the world, including extreme jealousy, suppression of natural emotional expression, and looking down on women as subordinate to men or intellectually inferior, among other traits.
If the term isn't sexist then explain why "toxic masculinity" is well used but "toxic femininity" is not.