• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many Mansions in the afterlife

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
There are indications in the Writings of my religion that this is possible, that we can be living IN this world but not be OF this world... For example:

“Today, humanity is bowed down with trouble, sorrow and grief, no one escapes; the world is wet with tears; but, thank God, the remedy is at our doors. Let us turn our hearts away from the world of matter and live in the spiritual world! It alone can give us freedom! If we are hemmed in by difficulties we have only to call upon God, and by His great Mercy we shall be helped.................
When our thoughts are filled with the bitterness of this world, let us turn our eyes to the sweetness of God’s compassion and He will send us heavenly calm! If we are imprisoned in the material world, our spirit can soar into the Heavens and we shall be free indeed! .................
You see all around you proofs of the inadequacy of material things—how joy, comfort, peace and consolation are not to be found in the transitory things of the world. Is it not then foolishness to refuse to seek these treasures where they may be found? The doors of the spiritual Kingdom are open to all, and without is absolute darkness. ................
Thus, spirituality is the greatest of God’s gifts, and ‘Life Everlasting’ means ‘Turning to God’. May you, one and all, increase daily in spirituality, may you be strengthened in all goodness, may you be helped more and more by the Divine consolation, be made free by the Holy Spirit of God, and may the power of the Heavenly Kingdom live and work among you” Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, pp. 110-112

That pretty much sums up my "nothing" life by most people's standards.

But I feel rich and blessed beyond words how much God has given me on my spiritual path.

You are probably not the first person who has said that, but now I have a question that immediately came to mind... What about most people who never had an NDE or a spiritual experience? How do you think they can grow spiritually? How do you think they can find a defining factor for their lives as you have?

From what I've read of your posts, don't worry, you're doing fine, more than fine.

But to give a better answer than that, for myself, I have always spent a great deal of time striving to seek spiritual answers, not as a chore, but because I'm filled with a burning desire to understand the great question of WHY! WHY was life even created, WHY was the universe created? WHY so much strife? WHY are there evil people? The list is endless. And with the help of God, as I piece it all together, I keep asking myself WHAT is my place in all of this vast universe, my purpose? To me it's all a great thrilling mystery that I completely LOVE to explore.

Now I don't know if anyone can relate to any of that, probably not, but that's pretty much my driving factor. And I've thought long and hard upon why nobody else seems to share my enthusiasm. I think it's because they take this physical life for granted, and that's ALL there is to it, only what they can physically see. But I was forced to see it was vastly MORE then they cannot even imagine. So I think others would gain a "defining factor" as you questioned about if they would stop taking things in this life for granted and start asking themselves similar questions. Even like looking at themselves differently. For when I exist as just my soul, all there is of me is nothing but a single point of self-aware consciousness in a mind blowing vast universe, WOW! HOW is that even possible???!! How can people not wonder abut that or any of the other great mysteries of the universe?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree that people can get along despite differences, even in religion, but it takes a lot of maturity, and most people are not that mature, as I am sure you can see by all the bantering that goes on just on this forum alone.

On other forums I frequent it is more than bantering, it is attacking those who they do not agree with. Even the non-religious beleivers attack the religious beleivers and the Christians attack that atheists and vice versa.

Good forums have good moderation. Not the best place to intuit intent. One person's attack is another person's suggestion, or explanation of a POV. With immaturity comes an inability to listen, or look in a mirror. Watching two 'children' argue that way is an exercise in learning from observation ... the learning is to not be like that. I have been guilty. It helps to give it a few moments before responding.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I agree. Yet what we do this moment affects the future too, on a personal level, as well as societal. Most people do save money. With society, the quicker we can ban things like proselytizing the better.

I can agree with your intent, but banning/laws will not really stop anyone from forcing their religion upon others. For there are probably millions of laws in the U.S. and people break them all the time. Hell, if laws won't stop people from killing each other, laws won't stop people from forcing their beliefs on everyone around them.

I doubt any lawmakers would even touch any such law anyway.

I know it's a problem, but realistically there isn't much that can be done about it.

But look at the bright side, most of the major religions fade in and out of favor anyway, and a lot of the smaller ones fade away all together.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I doubt any lawmakers would even touch any such law anyway.

You must be an American. Such laws are in place in lots of countries. Some are Islamic states, sure, but some secular democracies have it too. So yes, lawmakers are willing to touch it. Not in America, true. The Christian right would have a hissy fit, and they are a large bloc.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
You must be an American. Such laws are in place in lots of countries. Some are Islamic states, sure, but some secular democracies have it too. So yes, lawmakers are willing to touch it. Not in America, true. The Christian right would have a hissy fit, and they are a large bloc.

Ah shucks!

I guess I'll have to fess up, you got me, I'm one of those Americans.

You are also correct on your viewpoint of the Christians. We have enough trouble with them always trying to get laws passed forcing their religious beliefs upon us all, so I'm sure it would result in an all out civil war if anyone dared to submit a law preventing them from forcing their beliefs upon others. As they seem to think they have a "right' to force their beliefs upon everyone, and any push-back is viewed as trying to "persecute" them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ah shucks!

I guess I'll have to fess up, you got me, I'm one of those Americans.

You are also correct on your viewpoint of the Christians. We have enough trouble with them always trying to get laws passed forcing their religious beliefs upon us all, so I'm sure it would result in an all out civil war if anyone dared to submit a law preventing them from forcing their beliefs upon others. As they seem to think they have a "right' to force their beliefs upon everyone, and any push-back is viewed as trying to "persecute" them.

I'm in Canada, and generally love the people of your country. But when I've traveled to the other side of the planet (India, Mauritius) I noticed how little the American influence was, compared to here. I think it would benefit most folks to spend at least 3 months immersed in a culture quite different from their own.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
I'm in Canada, and generally love the people of your country. But when I've traveled to the other side of the planet (India, Mauritius) I noticed how little the American influence was, compared to here. I think it would benefit most folks to spend at least 3 months immersed in a culture quite different from their own.

Perhaps, but it's problematic and/or out of the means of most people to travel to other countries. And for myself, I'm somewhat older and so came from an era where it goes against what I believe America is all about with all this interrogating and being searched just to travel somewhere. To smacking of fascism to suit me.

But as to America, it all depends upon what area one goes to. Like I was in one section of a state for a few years, and could not believe how rude, aggressive, even threatening so many people were. And mostly all I do is spend my days hiking with my dog. But still had many threatening situations with guys coming after threatening to kill me. All over small stuff like asking them to get their dog on a leash, or just for no reason at all. Maybe they wanted to rob or even kill me for the fun of it, I have no idea what their motives were. But with my 110 lb German Sheppard they all backed down. Now I'm in the eastern side of the same state and so far everyone's been nice and even chatty when I meet them on the trail. Go figure.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Perhaps, but it's problematic and/or out of the means of most people to travel to other countries. And for myself, I'm somewhat older and so came from an era where it goes against what I believe America is all about with all this interrogating and being searched just to travel somewhere. To smacking of fascism to suit me.

But as to America, it all depends upon what area one goes to. Like I was in one section of a state for a few years, and could not believe how rude, aggressive, even threatening so many people were. And mostly all I do is spend my days hiking with my dog. But still had many threatening situations with guys coming after threatening to kill me. All over small stuff like asking them to get their dog on a leash, or just for no reason at all. Maybe they wanted to rob or even kill me for the fun of it, I have no idea what their motives were. But with my 110 lb German Sheppard they all backed down. Now I'm in the eastern side of the same state and so far everyone's been nice and even chatty when I meet them on the trail. Go figure.

We've only done a few road trips, (here in Edmonton, to DC, a couple of trips to California, and back through the US from eastern Canada) and go to Hawaii regularly. So I'm not at all familiar with it. I don't think it's just Americans that suffer from ethnocentricity by any means. You're accurate about location. I grew up in an armed forces town, and British soldiers came for training. They thought Canada was boring, and certainly that town was. We drove back here last fall via Ohio, Chicago, and west. I noticed more tension in the air this time. Trump.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
We've only done a few road trips, (here in Edmonton, to DC, a couple of trips to California, and back through the US from eastern Canada) and go to Hawaii regularly. So I'm not at all familiar with it. I don't think it's just Americans that suffer from ethnocentricity by any means. You're accurate about location. I grew up in an armed forces town, and British soldiers came for training. They thought Canada was boring, and certainly that town was. We drove back here last fall via Ohio, Chicago, and west. I noticed more tension in the air this time. Trump.

Oh great, did you HAVE to bring HIM up???!!!

Trump - the never ending freak-show nightmare.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oh great, did you HAVE to bring HIM up???!!!

Trump - the never ending freak-show nightmare.
At one time there was a willingness of sorts to talk politics, (not with me, but stuff I'd overhear on the street) but this time was different. I found it sad. Too scared to even talk about it.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
At one time there was a willingness of sorts to talk politics, (not with me, but stuff I'd overhear on the street) but this time was different. I found it sad. Too scared to even talk about it.

When I was a child and they taught about how Hitler came into power I just could not fathom how such a thing could have happened, and could not grasp how NOBODY did anything to STOP him.

And now I'm getting my answers as this Trump nightmare unfolds right before my eyes!

Now whether he is insane enough to try a permanent power grab remains to be seen, but unless some group of law enforcement doesn't remove him from office pretty soon, he will have succeeded in doing so much damage, IF we survive his time in office, it will take generations to restore the damage he's done.

Shantanu

There are a lot of those, and they are in the Writings of Baha'u'llah.
From my knowledge of God He is Nirguna and does not impose any form of 'sanatan dharma' for human beings. If the human beings seeks advice and guidance from God, He comes through as Saguna God and guides an individual into the dharmic actions needed for his survival with dignity on this planet Earth. That is all.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Good forums have good moderation. Not the best place to intuit intent. One person's attack is another person's suggestion, or explanation of a POV. With immaturity comes an inability to listen, or look in a mirror. Watching two 'children' argue that way is an exercise in learning from observation ... the learning is to not be like that. I have been guilty. It helps to give it a few moments before responding.
One forum I post on has no moderators and it is self-regulating, but it is a free-for-all. Mostly I was on there because some of my atheist friends invited me there, but then many of them left and came back and left again, and now they come and go... Without them there, it is almost all fundamentalist Christians. I stopped posting on there because it was too crude for me, but then I got posts from there and I was compelled to answer them. Then I met a newbie on that forum who is a believer with no religion and I liked posting to him to so I stayed for that reason.

I also have my own forum in that forum group, and my atheist friends come and go on my forum, which has little traffic anymore, since I ran off to other forums. Occasionally a Baha'i from the adjacent Baha'i forum posts something on my forum, but not often.

Another forum I post on minimally in that group has a forum owner who is a physicist and a staunch atheist and his moderator is an agnostic who hates God. That forum is pretty heavily moderated because the owner does not like people making personal insults. He is very courteous and I have a lot of respect for him for that reason alone, but also I respect his knowledge on many subjects. Most of the atheists on there are pretty hard core. There are very few beleivers, and no regulars are beleivers except one very liberal Jewish woman I really like.

I have learned a lot about how to behave and how not to behave by being on so many different forums with so many different people of different beliefs and non-beliefs. We can learn a lot from watching others. I learned a lot just from this atheist forum owner who is so gracious and non-judgmental. He has definite opinions but he knows how to express them without hurting others' feelings.

Shantanu

One forum I post on has no moderators and it is self-regulating, but it is a free-for-all. Mostly I was on there because some of my atheist friends invited me there, but then many of them left and came back and left again, and now they come and go... Without them there, it is almost all fundamentalist Christians. I stopped posting on there because it was too crude for me, but then I got posts from there and I was compelled to answer them. Then I met a newbie on that forum who is a believer with no religion and I liked posting to him to so I stayed for that reason.

I also have my own forum in that forum group, and my atheist friends come and go on my forum, which has little traffic anymore, since I ran off to other forums. Occasionally a Baha'i from the adjacent Baha'i forum posts something on my forum, but not often.

Another forum I post on minimally in that group has a forum owner who is a physicist and a staunch atheist and his moderator is an agnostic who hates God. That forum is pretty heavily moderated because the owner does not like people making personal insults. He is very courteous and I have a lot of respect for him for that reason alone, but also I respect his knowledge on many subjects. Most of the atheists on there are pretty hard core. There are very few beleivers, and no regulars are beleivers except one very liberal Jewish woman I really like.

I have learned a lot about how to behave and how not to behave by being on so many different forums with so many different people of different beliefs and non-beliefs. We can learn a lot from watching others. I learned a lot just from this atheist forum owner who is so gracious and non-judgmental. He has definite opinions but he knows how to express them without hurting others' feelings.
I would never seek to hurt another person's feelings again. In the past I have only tried to survive amid enemies to my constitution and so have reacted with bitter words against them. But I survived and so have realised that truth protected me. That truth has made me nirguna (without attributes) where I just do my chores in truth and leave all other issues as distractions that must be left alone.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Is there something in the aftrelife that prohibits us to talk of advanced physics? Is that maybe a sin God does not want to hear about?

What else could it be?
We get whatever comes through, not usually what we ask for.
Physics is not something that exists in the afterlife so that is not what people think and talk about, unless theya re still attached to this world.

ArtieE

LOL You sure are persistent on this "reincarnation" issue, I'll give you that.

Now you can believe in whatever you want, but here's why I'm convinced that process is real, by what I have been "shown" by God over time.
You just demonstrated that the Bible can't be the word of god. Either that, or God contradicts himself. Is Reincarnation In The Bible? Scripture Truth about Life After Death
Please read the Urantia Book and tell us if it is accurate or not. Home | Urantia Book | Urantia Foundation

Last edited: