• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Manly Men: Veggies, not Meat

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you picture a warrior, a sportsman, or a gladiator, what sort of diet do you envision them eating? For most of us, it's meat. Lots and lots of meat. Leg of mutton, giant steak, if it used to bleed, it's popularly considered the staple of the manly man.

And yet, did you know that among the manliest of men in ancient times were mostly vegetarian? I didn't. And learning this is awesome enough that I felt the need to share this story for you all:

Sean Coughlan with BBC News said:
Roman gladiators had a diet that was mostly vegetarian, according to an analysis of bones from a cemetery where the arena fighters were buried.

The study has been carried out by academics from the Medical University of Vienna in Austria and the University of Bern in Switzerland.

They found the gladiator diet was grain-based and mostly meat-free.

The examination of gladiator bones also found evidence they drank a drink made from plant ashes.

This ash drink was a form of health-boosting tonic to help gladiators recover after fighting and training.
*full article here*

How cool is that? So guys ... the next time you want to be that manly man athlete or warrior, mind your barley and set aside the mutton chop. Real manly men eat their veggies. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are a lot of myths about the 'manly' man.

Myths is exactly right - there is a mythology or stories we tell about what certain types of people are supposed to be. It speaks to the values of our culture, and how we relate to one another. Yet the mythos told by other cultures is different - it seems that back in Rome the mythos of the manly man would not have involved consuming massive quantities of red meat. That is something modern. It makes me wonder: from whence did that mythos come?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
When you picture a warrior, a sportsman, or a gladiator, what sort of diet do you envision them eating? For most of us, it's meat. Lots and lots of meat. Leg of mutton, giant steak, if it used to bleed, it's popularly considered the staple of the manly man.

And yet, did you know that among the manliest of men in ancient times were mostly vegetarian? I didn't. And learning this is awesome enough that I felt the need to share this story for you all:

*full article here*

How cool is that? So guys ... the next time you want to be that manly man athlete or warrior, mind your barley and set aside the mutton chop. Real manly men eat their veggies. :D

I'm not surprised, truth be told. Carbs would be the way to go if lots of fighting was involved. It's all about how active they were, and that's where carbs come in. Heck, Roman generals would eat a crapload of bread and sip some wine before galloping into battle like the total g-s they oh so were. Plus, in ancient India, Hindu warriors also ate lots of veggies. In fact, one of the greatest and most well-known Hindu warriors of all time, Chhatrapati Shivaji (who's of recent history, mind you), was a vegetarian. And that dude was quite fierce.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

*full article here*

Wouldn't that be the place that they heaved the losers?

Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Myths is exactly right - there is a mythology or stories we tell about what certain types of people are supposed to be. It speaks to the values of our culture, and how we relate to one another. Yet the mythos told by other cultures is different - it seems that back in Rome the mythos of the manly man would not have involved consuming massive quantities of red meat. That is something modern. It makes me wonder: from whence did that mythos come?
Meat has been a luxury in many cultures at times.
Perhaps their having this bounty enhances the image of power.
Plus, meat is all about the savage predator, unlike veggies,
which smack of farming & gathering...not very macho activities.

My physician advises eating meat as a condiment, which sounds
similar to your old warrior diet.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It makes me wonder: from whence did that mythos come?

Now that is a very good question. My conjecture is from male insecurity somehow, but about what? Are your children or wife that frightening to you that you feel you have to beat them, just to be a man? You really need that fancy sports car? A reliable sedan won't do? Does booze make you stronger?

Generally insecure people have a propensity for boasting to somehow counter what others may be thinking. Odd thing is ... it generally backfires.

My vegetarianism isn't really 'out there' much, but when it has been disclosed, I have actually been asked, "So are you gay too?" :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Roman gladiators had a diet that was mostly vegetarian, according to an analysis of bones from a cemetery where the arena fighters were buried.

yeah...that's because it is wrong to consider them as the symbol of hyper-masculinity.

and I still think that meat-eaters are real men...no offense

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Grain and plant based diets were far cheaper to feed people with. Keep in mind that the typical Roman gladiator and Greek hoplite averaged about 5'6" and 150 lbs. They were not big men that needed to eat a whole lot, but they did need the energy that carbs provide. Believe it or not, Vikings were manlets too, at about 5'6" and 160 lbs., not Magnus Samuelsson (6'6") or Magnus Ver Magnusson (6'3") types.

Sees

Dragonslayer
In my circles (mil, LEO, firearms/tactics training, etc.), it's definitely a very prevalent misconception. For me, my diet being majority vegan makes things much easier these past couple years or so. More energy and stamina, increased awareness, better sleep habits, no loss in strength - just some extra pounds, etc.

If I eat as much meat and dairy as typical in a modern, western diet - add 20-30lbs. even with a good bit more exercise.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's cool. It doesn't surprise me that much, considering many gladiators were on the lower rungs of society. The drink from plant ash really has me curious though.

paragon

Poor gladiators. I'm sure the ones who were victorious won because they managed to sneak some meat into their diets.

I feel like soggy cornflakes when I train on veggies.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Although not a vegetarian, Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah advertises Quorn vegetarian products. Personally I associate red meat with cancer and cruelty.

Knight of Albion

Apparently the Roman legionnaires ate vegetarian food before a battle. Perchance the Romans had discovered way back then that saturated animal fats clog up the arteries ... [The Roman battle formation was designed for close quarter combat, shield wall / short stabbing sword, so they needed fluidity of movement.]

Knight of Albion

Google Patrik Baboumian. He is a fully vegan weightlifter. He recently broke the world record yoke lift ( lift & carry.) He hoisted the equivalent weight of 22 sacks of potatoes or a large horse.....

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Apparently the Roman legionnaires ate vegetarian food before a battle. Perchance the Romans had discovered way back then that saturated animal fats clog up the arteries ... [The Roman battle formation was designed for close quarter combat, shield wall / short stabbing sword, so they needed fluidity of movement.]

that's not true. The Greeks are huge pork-eaters and the percentage of people dying from heart-attack is very low compared to that of Americans . Why?
ah...and I am a pork-eater and healthy as a fish

Last edited: