1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mandatory vasectomy at age 50? Alabama lawmaker proposes response to abortion ban

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by We Never Know, Feb 18, 2020.

1. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
  2. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +13,387
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Maybe his father should have had a vasectomy.

3. We Never Know

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
    His? Who is he? The representative that is sponsoring the bill is a democrat female.

4. Mindmaster

Mindmaster Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Religion:
    Theistic Satanist
    How about just realizing that if you have hetero sex enough your possibility to create a child over time is nearly 100%. (medical conditions notwithstanding) The whole abortion / vasectomy talk is the battlefield of the adult-aged children who wanna live in this fantasy land where they don't have to pay the piper -- rather than growing up and accepting the responsibility. If you are an adult you might use contraceptives, but accept the possibility that if they fail you will end up with a child and you will take care of it if it happens. Unless you are intellectually impaired you realize this from step one, but I guess in theory only the dumbest of us are getting most of the abortions -- so, hey, at least that's good for the old gene pool, right? :D

5. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +14,852
    Religion:
    None
    Help me explain to conservative Christian folks that comprehensive sex ed and Planned Parenthood(or similar) is the way to reduce abortion without heavy handed "big government".

As far as I can tell, anti-feticide rights people mostly prefer the heavy hand of government over evidence based responses to this problem.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  6. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,684
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Any right that a pregnant person doesn't have isn't a general human right.

If a pregnant person doesn't have the right to bodily security, neither do you. So what's the problem?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +2,260
    Religion:
    Judaism
    @We Never Know -
    Considering that on Sunday, in the Political Debates sub-forum, a thread covering this story was started: Proposed bill would require men in Alabama to get vasectomy which has 116 responses and is still ongoing, the point of this thread is?

8. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,733
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    What! I don't know if I like having a female make decisions about what I have to do with my body. :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,153
  10. We Never Know

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
    @RabbiO Considering I did not see the other thread, the point of this one is to discuss it. Same as the point of the other thread I failed to see.

11. We Never Know

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
    IMO it's quite ignorant to have abortions or vasectomy's instead of teaching people how not to have babies if they don't want one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. We Never Know

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
    The problem is education and contraceptives should be pushed for before abortions and vasectomy's.

13. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +14,852
    Religion:
    None
    Does this mean that any right a 4y/o, or a convicted felon, doesn't have isn't a general human right?
    Tom

14. We Never Know

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    It exists
    You may just have a point about the gene pool

15. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +10,182
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    Not a very bright one to boot.

I figure it was the thought of putting men on the defensive for reproductive Rights but what does forced medical procedures have to do with abortions? Women are not being forced to have abortions.

Maybe that women are forced not to have a procedure? Is that it?

As a response, women in the same vein should have a bill made for a forced hysterectomy. Turnabout is fair play after all.

It's still reckless, dangerous and ill-conceived behavior to use actual bills to get a point across.

16. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,480
    Religion:
    Love
    And forget them once they're born.

Personally I don't like abortion. But my way is not to criminalize it but to help women before and after birth to meet their emotional and financial needs where necessary. And to make adoption very very easy.

But if you consider abortion murder then logically you have to consider the woman who gets an abortion the same way I would be treated if I hired a hit man to murder my wife. If you're not willing to do that, you don't really consider the fetus has the same status as humans after birth.

17. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,310
    Religion:
    LDS (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints)
    I'd almost agree with that one (about limiting the gene pool) except that stupidity in this area is an acquired, not an inherent, quality. Many people grow up enough to realize the truth of what you just wrote: that having sex is a gamble, no matter how much you do to prevent creating a child, THAT'S WHAT SEX IS FOR, the creation of children. Procreation. Even the 'getting closer together' and 'relationship building' aspects of it are for that; to keep couples together long enough to protect the kid. Never mind theology...just look at things from the POV of practical evolution. That's what sex is FOR, from how fun it is to...everything else about it.

And ultimately, if one is fortunate, one gets a baby. And one should understand, going into consensual sex, that creating a new life means that one is responsible for bearing and rearing that new life. If not getting pregnant is more important than anything....don't have sex. Simple.

18. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,733
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Ought to be teaching young folks the responsibilities of having sex. Hopefully more than, "Hey, here's a condom" and cross your fingers.

7th Grade, I remember condoms and STDs but nothing about the problems of getting someone pregnant.

19. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,684
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Better idea: leave the decision to get an abortion or a vasectomy entirely up to the owner of the uterus or vas deferens, respectively.

If you want to reduce abortions, then do it by making the alternatives so desirable that pregnant people willingly choose them over abortion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,647
    You don't understand how giving birth is a medical procedure?
    Or that there are all kinds of medical conditions involved in pregnancy?

Oh, you think it's reckless and dangerous to use a bill to get a point across?
    I think it's reckless and dangerous to legislate away women's rights over their own bodies. :shrug: