• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Man Unleashes Profanity-Filled Tirade Against Peaceful Satanists in MN Park"

InChrist

Free4ever
Ephesians 5:11
[Rebuke evil

Ephesians 5:7
[Partake not with them.

• partake not with them. How many christians follow that instruction? You mix n match verses to suit your arguments, most likely.
Those verses are to be taken by the believer as instruction for their own life and behavior, to rebuke or refuse to participate in evil. They are not instructions to go around rebuking or micro-managing the lives of others, especially in an unkind way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know this is an entirely different subject from the OP which should be another thread, which BTW has been the subject of a lot of threads already, which I have addressed on numerous occasions.
It's related. Except for the language, the guy kind of acted like Jesus, and he could have turned to that story for justification. You say god is always righteous, I ask what's the fundamental difference between the same act when two different entities do it.

InChrist

Free4ever
It's related. Except for the language, the guy kind of acted like Jesus, and he could have turned to that story for justification. You say god is always righteous, I ask what's the fundamental difference between the same act when two different entities do it.
If you did some research on the situation you would find that the command by God for the Israelites to conquer the land and it's inhabitants was a unique event, a judgement by God on the extreme, ongoing wickedness of the people at that time who were given hundreds of years to repent or leave. Judgement and God's righteous anger expressed in both cases, as I see it.

InChrist

Free4ever
That's vague. And the verses say 'rebuking evil', in the sense of a religious rebuke. This is certainly not a scenario, where you have, the 'scriptural instruction', to win your argument.

That is why you have to present "your idea", of what a protest or rebuke is, despite this particular instance.
Not my idea, the scriptures say that judgement of those or of evil outside the church belongs to God, not believers. Believers are only called to judge sinful behavior among ourselves.

But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.
1 Corinthians 5:11-13

InChrist

Free4ever
Luke 18 19 for one.
I thought you would choose that one!

So Jesus said there is no one good, but God. Well, in my view and I believe it is supported by the scriptures...Jesus was GOOD, unless you consider Him bad. Yet, according to the scriptures, He lived a perfect, sinless life and therefore, was the spotless lamb (figuratively) who was able to take away the sins of the world.

So, since only God is good
and Jesus was/is good
Jesus is God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I thought you would choose that one!

So Jesus said there is no one good, but God. Well, in my view and I believe it is supported by the scriptures...Jesus was GOOD, unless you consider Him bad. Yet, according to the scriptures, He lived a perfect, sinless life and therefore, was the spotless lamb (figuratively) who was able to take away the sins of the world.

So, since only God is good
and Jesus was/is good
Jesus is God.
Read that verse again. He says that he is not God, There are others as well. When he asks God on the cross why he has forsaken him he is saying that he is not God. Think about it, he was asking God, clearly someone else, why he was forsaken. There are others too, but until you deal honestly with these there is no point in going on.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
And why would you speculate the guy is a Christian???

The Bible say...

But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Colossians 3:8

And that the fruits of the Spirit are...

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23
Thank you for sharing this inspiring verse. I can't remember reading it. Seems I'm not the only one.

So this verse tells a Christian not to slander/insult others. To tell or imply to an Atheist that Atheism "lack of belief in God", is a less valuable (inferior) path than Christianity (which I see happen quite a lot), is an insult IMHO and is therefore going against the Bible? And should therefore not been done.

Please tell me if my interpretation and conclusion is correct

English is my second language: if below is incorrect or "belittling Atheism" (which I consider insult/slander and unkind) is okay for the Atheist (as they love to debate, which would go down considerably) then I won't debate him of course (as I hate to debate)

slander, synonym is insult

kindness
,...... insult is not kind

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Read that verse again. He says that he is not God, There are others as well. When he asks God on the cross why he has forsaken him he is saying that he is not God. Think about it, he was asking God, clearly someone else, why he was forsaken. There are others too, but until you deal honestly with these there is no point in going on.

Actually the implication is that Jesus is God. (Mark 10:18) "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." He didn't say no, I am not God. He didn't say yes, I am God. But if you are calling Him good, know what you are saying.

As for (Matt. 27:46), Jesus is the God/Man. Both Man and God. As the God/Man, He was always in fellowship with the Father. And when He prayed, He addressed the Father. Due to the sins being placed upon Him, the Father did forsake the Son as the sins were upon Him. This was a separation never known by the Son. Thus the Man Jesus didn't know the Father as Father at that moment. He knew Him as God. And so He cried out 'My God'. This doesn't take away from Christ's deity as God the Son. It reveals the seriousness of what had taken place.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
So? The scriptures don't instruct Christians to go out and spew forth profanities at Satanists or even satan. As a matter of fact such behavior is portrayed in a very negative light...

Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. 9 Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. Jude 1:8-11

Not all Christians behave in a Christly manner. It is more likely that a person whose mythology supports Satan would react in this manner.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
John 3:36

2 Thessalonians 2

[Atheism is very likely to lead to hell. That would be a 'inferior path'. Obviously.
Still if you follow Bible you don't tell (insult) them, correct.

Being very aware that it's all just a personal opinion.

Or can we just cherry pick the verse that feels convenient for us?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You may think so, but ultimately Jesus Christ has the final say on who is a Christian.

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7:22-23

Yes and they are still christian. You cannot as a christian claim you faith is the biggest faith in the world then exclude 95% of that faith.

shmogie

Please clarify what exactly you mean when you say "insane.'
In my very personal experience and coming from a Christian background American Christians are some of the most judgmental SOB's I've ever encountered. Depending on geography it could be even deadly...

Tell that to the KKK then....

This is not the Christianity I have experienced. I perhaps know one true Christian in my life right now who at least try to live by the quoted above.
This is why Christ said that by their fruit you will know them. We know from the Bible that many will claim to be of the faith, yet prove by their actions they are not.

A man may call himself a fence post, that doesn´t make him one.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes and they are still christian. You cannot as a christian claim you faith is the biggest faith in the world then exclude 95% of that faith.
I don't really claim it to be the biggest, nor do I claim to know a person's faith, yet the fruit of one's life does reveal much. I believe Jesus can know and will exclude many who are Christians in name only..

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14