• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man in a dress? Must be a shooter!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Nope. And I'm glad the History channel, or whatever channel aired it's show that was an in depth look at Columbine now, because I would have hated an increase in the typical "OMG! You don't have any guns do you?!" or "Sorry If I seem nervous around you, I just got a flashback to Columbine seeing your trench coat."

I guess I'm lucky that my old vintage 70s leather trenchcoat is also vintage 70s BROWN so people don't freak when they see her in it then.

I woulda thought in your neck of the woods people wouldn't be so wigged out by it. A trenchcoat is freakin' WARM...that's why I wore one!

Around here, there are maybe 5 days in winter when a real coat is even justified. And on those days, I usually just toss on a sweatshirt and a windbreaker.

For some reason the naked question keeps reminding me of Chaucer, and how his gambling problems often left him literally loosing his shirt.

Hm. Tis late, and perhaps I should toodle upstairs and emulate the Wife of Bath. :D

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I think it's being taken too personally. How was that mother supposed to know he was harmless? Was she to go up to him and ask 'hey are you a psycho killer in disguise that I should worry about, or am I being jumpy?'

I don't think it was a case of her reacting because she's prejudice. Has anyone given a thought that maybe she was just being careful? In this day and age we can't assume people are harmless. Sad but a fact. We don't know who the nutjobs are and who they aren't.

Has anyone thought what if he wasn't as harmless as he seemed, she says nothing about him, and he kills 30 kids? Would you rather the lives of people at stake or his feelings hurt a bit? If something bad had happened and it came out that someone saw him prior to an ill event, how many people would have jumped down her throat?

Give people a break, everyone doesn't act on prejudices. None of us know what was going through her mind at that time. Not one of us can say for an absolute fact that she did it because she hates cross dressers.

Ðanisty

I think it's being taken too personally. How was that mother supposed to know he was harmless? Was she to go up to him and ask 'hey are you a psycho killer in disguise that I should worry about, or am I being jumpy?'

I don't think it was a case of her reacting because she's prejudice. Has anyone given a thought that maybe she was just being careful? In this day and age we can't assume people are harmless. Sad but a fact. We don't know who the nutjobs are and who they aren't.

Has anyone thought what if he wasn't as harmless as he seemed, she says nothing about him, and he kills 30 kids? Would you rather the lives of people at stake or his feelings hurt a bit? If something bad had happened and it came out that someone saw him prior to an ill event, how many people would have jumped down her throat?

Give people a break, everyone doesn't act on prejudices. None of us know what was going through her mind at that time. Not one of us can say for an absolute fact that she did it because she hates cross dressers.
But the question is, would she have called the authorities if he had been wearing a suit or jeans and t-shirt. I seriously doubt it. If her suspicion is based solely on the fact that he's wearing a dress, I definitely see that as wrong.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
But the question is, would she have called the authorities if he had been wearing a suit or jeans and t-shirt. I seriously doubt it. If her suspicion is based solely on the fact that he's wearing a dress, I definitely see that as wrong.

I would think it was wrong if she was trying to cause him undue stress just for the sake of it. If she was being careful, then isn't it better to err on the side of caution? I've had people call the romans on me. Sometimes they were being pricks, and sometimes people were genuinely concerned because they have simply never seen a veiled woman in real life before. I didn't like it, but i tried to see things from somebody else's POV for a change, and not just think about me.

Ciscokid

Ðanisty;798765 said:

What if he was wearing a black mask, pants and black boots and black gloves? Clothes and appearance don't mean anything right? Use your head a little.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
What if he was wearing a black mask, pants and black boots and black gloves? Clothes and appearance don't mean anything right? Use your head a little.

The mask is hardly normal everyday clothing though is it? Whereas womens clothing is normal everyday clothing, hey the man could have been dressed as a clown for all I care as it's not up to me to judge.

Ciscokid

The mask is hardly normal everyday clothing though is it? Whereas womens clothing is normal everyday clothing, hey the man could have been dressed as a clown for all I care as it's not up to me to judge.

Right but you don't see a grown man in a dress and heels on a grade school campus everyday. Hell I've never seen that in my life. Seeing a dude in a clown outfit, even at a school or should I say especially at a kids school is not alarming...that is fairly NORMAL.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Right but you don't see a grown man in a dress and heels on a grade school campus everyday. Hell I've never seen that in my life.

It's becoming common in high schools. (Well, students dressing in drag, not grown men :)). Though, maybe one day male teachers will be able to hold class in a dress without anyone batting an eyelash.

Ciscokid

It's becoming common in high schools. (Well, students dressing in drag, not grown men :)). Though, maybe one day male teachers will be able to hold class in a dress without anyone batting an eyelash.

I think it'll just take society time to be comfortable with this. This is at it is, comfort levels with what is acceptable and not acceptable.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!

Right. If you saw a man dressed as such standing around a daycare then what? Or standing around a school or even a bank? What about he's standing on the sidewalk in front of your house? Still not a concern? After all he can wear what he wants, and he can stand on the sidewalk. All legal stuff because you don't own the sidewalk, and you can't tell him how to dress.

Women's clothing is normal everyday on women, not men. You just don't see your average everyday guys running around in dresses. You may think it should be that way but it ain't. Plus I thought we wasn't talking about normal dress. Everybody said that since his clothes were not illegal there should have been no cause for concern, well wearing a mask is legal in a whole lot of places. Even where it isn't technically legal, it isn't enforced. Wearing the black ensemble described above is perfectly legal, so why are people unnerved by it? Simply because striking dress or behaviour raises people's flags, whether it's justified or not.

I also think the issue is being shifted. The issue at hand was the safety of the children, not disdain for cross-dressers. Had she called the police simply because she disliked men who dressed as women, you all would have a point. It simply could have been the case that she never has seen that before. It was strange to her and it raised her hackles a bit. No harm no foul. He wasn't hurt and neither was anyone else. If he is a reasonable person I don't think he would lose any sleep over the incident. The most it is probably a good conversation piece with his friends, he'll laugh about it with them, and move on.

Like I said before people have called the police on me, and I've been approached by them as well. I mean at the occasion I was in a suburb at night, dressed in dark colors, big clothes, no one can see anything but my eyes, and I was walking towards a closed bank to the ATM. Even though I know I was doing nothing the police didn't know that. He came up to me and questioned me a bit just to see what was up. I didn't like it a whole lot, but then again he was doing his job. I wasn't hurt, he didn't arrest me, and he ended up being a pretty nice guy for a cop. He was just inquring about me because in all truth I probably did look suspicious.

As a mother it is her job to ensure the safety of her child from any threat real or perceived. If that means somebody has to be slightly questioned so be it. He didn't sustain any damage did he?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Why is it suspicios that a man is wearing womans clothing? Lots of people belive gender is to do with your brain, so while this man might technically be a man, his brain is one of a woman. I think this is transphobic as it is basically saying people who dress in drag must be crazy which is completly absurd. I think it is wrong that she called the police BECAUSE he was dressed in drag. It is wrong to discrimanate people because of how they dress.

gnomon

How can such a short, incomplete news story generate so much interest.

I've been stopped for the way I look. I've been searched in front of my friends for doing nothing more than sitting in a public park. But I looked suspicious according to other people in the park. And I'm a white, heterosexual male.:rolleyes: At best it must have been the long hair, scruffy beard and aura of disrespect towards authority. How I wish I could reach into that magic bag and pull out a race card or some other nonsense.

Maybe the woman who called the police was "transphobic". Maybe she saw someone who looked like Dog Chapman wearing a sun dress and called the police for sheer aesthetic reasons. Unless those of you who are acting entirely hypersensitively actually find the woman who made the complaint and ask her you will never know. Considering the story seems to have gone nowhere, perhaps that's where this thread should go.

But sometimes pure speculation is fun, even if it means looking for extraordinariy acts of discrimination where none exists.

Ciscokid

What people want to hear is "aw that poor man....woman.....whatever was brutally harrassed and offended. I wonder if he will ever find a therapist that will be able to help him cope with the traumatic event. The ACLU should hear about this and find this hostile ***** of a woman who violated his...her....rights!"

I hope this dude is not mentally and emotionally bankrupt as you act like he should be.

How about we all let this thread die a good honorable death uh?

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
It is not like cross-dressers are known for killing people, are they? I never looked at any statistics.:shrug:

My avatar is of a cross-dresser. ;)

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I just thought people odd to be more tolerant and less afraid of people who are different (zenaphobia is it? not sure)
If anything i would have thought a cross dresser less likely to attack someone, as generally will have a female brain and females are less violent than men.

One more thing i heard rumour Brian Moloko from Placebo was a cross dresser i knows he is bi but cant find anywhere confirm or deny what i heard?