• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mala/Japa beads

Ive been working with Japa beads for a long while and was told they should be held in the right hand not the left - other sources Ive found say left hand not the right what to other members think?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would agree it is right, but I could be wrong. I've seen left only when right was preoccupied doing something else. (In this case the mala was just being used as a counter for 108 repetitions of a mantra for offerings into a havan/homa.)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I hold it in my right hand, but I use my left to hold the loose end up, close to my chest.

Legacy of Wisdom: MALA (or) ROSARY

It says you can cup them in your left hand to keep them from hitting the ground.

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
It is opt to hold it in the Right hand.... also you can cup it in your left hand from avoid it hitting the ground.... but you can also do JAPA holding it your left hand..... there is no specific reasons but it is usually done in Right hand that's all.... also there is no wrong in doing with left hand either.......

Hare Krishnas hold the mala with the right hand, and utilise both the thumb and middle finger to finger the beads, since the index finger is seen as inauspicious. We also utilise bead bags so it doesn't fall! :)

Kinda like this in this unflattering picture of George Harrison:

george_harrison_bw.jpg

And you can get them in different colours and patterns!

omshivabag0.jpg

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Ive been working with Japa beads for a long while and was told they should be held in the right hand not the left - other sources Ive found say left hand not the right what to other members think?
Most say use the right hand. I'm not sure why the no left hand thingy is there. Probably because of toilet etiquette.

I usually use right hand and thumb and middle finger, since this is what I was taught - although I have no qualms with the left hand as I'm left handed. I wouldn't use my left hand if I were to do japa at mandir because some would see it as incorrect.

Do whichever you like. :D

Most say use the right hand. I'm not sure why the no left hand thingy is there. Probably because of toilet etiquette.

I usually use right hand and thumb and middle finger, since this is what I was taught - although I have no qualms with the left hand as I'm left handed. I wouldn't use my left hand if I were to do japa at mandir because some would see it as incorrect.

Do whichever you like. :D

I'm a lefty, but due to being chastised at the temple lightly for using my left hand to eat, I've trained myself to eat with my right hand instead of my 'poo-poo' hand. XD

I still remember eating a piece of broken coconut in honour of Sri Sri Radha Krishna during our mini-parikrama around the temple for Radhashtami, and one elder devotee woman slapped my hand and told me she never wants to see me eating with my left hand ever again. XD "Beti, you have so much knowledge, and yet you know well that you should not eat with your left hand!"

She could understand if I used a spoon with my left hand, but... anyway...

But yes, right hand, finger using thumb and middle finger. The index finger is considered inauspicious and rude to utilise, and apparently according to Ayurveda it is where energy gets channelled outwards.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Once you get the hang of it, the only movement is the thumb, as it 'rolls' to the next bead and pauses. Some malas like to get in knots, so if you hold the hand more flat, it will separate the two sides. But let's not forget the real intent here, which is to hear the sound of the mantra echoing through the cranium, and pick up on its subtleties.

Once you get the hang of it, the only movement is the thumb, as it 'rolls' to the next bead and pauses. Some malas like to get in knots, so if you hold the hand more flat, it will separate the two sides. But let's not forget the real intent here, which is to hear the sound of the mantra echoing through the cranium, and pick up on its subtleties.

Not only that, but to utilises the qualities of touch, speech, hearing and mental capacities for worshipping the Lord! :yes:

That’s interesting about what you say about the left hand (use for other purposes...) allot of Buddhists seem to use the left hand as its seen as the 'giving' hand not sure why. The only other reason I could think for using the hand is maybe more tantric worship - trying to break with social customs.
I have used mala for a while now and always with the left hand - I seem to be able to 'flip' the mala better with this hand when I get to the guru bead - will have to give it a try with he right hand and see how I get on!!

Another notion Ive been told is that men should use the right hand and ladies the left hand

Last edited:
"I am not at all shy to admit that the Buddhist mala derived from the Hindu 'japa mala' and that the meanings ascribed to 108 beads have been adapted for our needs. There are also superstitions - use only the left hand, the ring finger or the index finger and thumb. (A Hindu would be horrified - they use the right hand as the left is used for 'toilet' functions.)"

Seems to be a Buddhist thing using the left hand - will have to move over and use the right hand lol

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is also recommended to push each bead with the thumb, rather than pull, so the mala at the top goes away from you. I was doing it 'wrong' for years. Maybe I have to make up all those wrong times. :)

It is also recommended to push each bead with the thumb, rather than pull, so the mala at the top goes away from you. I was doing it 'wrong' for years. Maybe I have to make up all those wrong times. :)

Wow, I did not know that it was 'better' to do so... my thumb was just naturally pushing that bead, and thought nothing of it. Especially as devotees of Krishna, we go back and forth every round (so there's pushing AND pulling there), and never pass over the Mount Sumeru bead (the end big bead that connects the mala together to signify Krishna, and to signify the end of a round).

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Personal understanding:
Beads are used to bring the MIND's attention to one vibration and then to realise and understand that in between every vibration there is a void.
The void is where one japa ends and the next begins.
Towards that end those who do not have hands may use there mind alone and those who have may use it the way it comes naturally to them.
The method id not important as the mind's action is!
Best Wishes!
Love & rgds

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

If you think about it, that is moving the mala in a counterclockwise position, as the head bead is moving. I understand it should be in a clockwise position. If you face the mala, the head bead is moving clockwise if you pull the beads towards you. Just my view. :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you think about it, that is moving the mala in a counterclockwise position, as the head bead is moving. I understand it should be in a clockwise position. If you face the mala, the head bead is moving clockwise if you pull the beads towards you. Just my view. :shrug:

Obviously there are varying opinions. (Which I didn't know until now.) Ultimately, I'm with Zenzero ... it's the state of mind you're in. If the words are like background music in the dentist's office, while you're distracted by the high pitch of his painful drill ... well then japa won't be so fruitful.