• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making Your Own Compost

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Does anyone else here delight in creating dirt?

I put all my fruit and vegetable scraps, used coffee grounds, tea bags, paper towel tubes, and whatnot into a compost bin and make my own compost. It's great for gardening and since there are a million various seeds in there, I often get surprise plants! This year I grew tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in my garden but I ended up with pie pumpkins too... I didn't plant them, but they found their way into my garden. It's so exciting.

There's no reason not to make compost if you're into gardening (unless you don't have space... in which case - where do you grow your plants??)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Does anyone else here delight in creating dirt?

I put all my fruit and vegetable scraps, used coffee grounds, tea bags, paper towel tubes, and whatnot into a compost bin and make my own compost. It's great for gardening and since there are a million various seeds in there, I often get surprise plants! This year I grew tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in my garden but I ended up with pie pumpkins too... I didn't plant them, but they found their way into my garden. It's so exciting.

There's no reason not to make compost if you're into gardening (unless you don't have space... in which case - where do you grow your plants??)
i had one at my apartment last year turned it into my garden this year

Iti oj

Premium Member
the wife and i are heart broken that we don't have space for our garden and compost

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't have a bin yet for various reasons, so I just chuck stuff directly on the ground. It'll rot eventually, and considering I only have recycling for "trash" pickup...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Letting things rot is especially a good idea if the soil in your area is crap. While the soil around my area shouldn't be crap, it was unfortunately common for developers to rape the topsoil and sell it. I should have well over a foot of deep, black, rich soil born of centuries of tallgrass prairie. Instead I have a ton of clay and sand with little organic matter at all. It's going to take decades to build the soil back up to even a reasonably good level. The way I see it, chucking my "trash" onto my yard helps that process go a little faster.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Does any one inoculate your compost with 'red wigglers' ?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
My quarter acre garden was once a peat bog so a good depth of rich dark soil
for produce to grow ... and i use no chemicals for pest or noxious plant control.

Companion planting resolves any problems

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do tea bags really break down well if just tossed on the ground and not in a proper compost pile? I've been switching to looseleaf only tea at home because I've been concerned about that, but there's still this iced tea I make that is not bagless.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Do tea bags really break down well if just tossed on the ground and not in a proper compost pile? I've been switching to looseleaf only tea at home because I've been concerned about that, but there's still this iced tea I make that is not bagless.
Idk I had a pile, and I did coffee filters too (unbleached )

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Slugs are a problem I have so I put little cups of beer in the garden which they go to instead of going to the plants.

We do compost and I heard that egg shells are good for it.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Slugs are a problem I have so I put little cups of beer in the garden which they go to instead of going to the plants.

We do compost and I heard that egg shells are good for it.
yes but gotta wash em out
I also make a liquid plant food with coffe grounds and eggshells in a jar soaked for a week or a month turning every other day well use too damn veganism