• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Making the Case for Fathers

Watchmen

Premium Member
I just felt the need to make the case for fathers. I believe a good father in the home is a true benefits children should not do without. I offer the claims and sources.

1. Toddlers securely attached to fathers are better at solving problems. M. Esterbrooks and Wendy A. Goldberg, "Toddler Development in the Family: Impact of Father Involvemet and Parenting Characteristics," Child Development 55 (1984), 740-752.

Solving problems is a huge part of being successful in today's world. It's likely always been a part of being successful, but we routinely here today about the need for successful leaders to be able to "think outside the box."

2. Six-month-old babies score higher on tests of mental development if their dads are involved in their lives. F.A. Pedersen et al., "Parent-Infant and Husband-Wife Interactions Observed at Five Months," in The Father-Infant Relationship (NY: ed. F. Pedersen, 1980), 65-91.

Not sure what to say about this one. I'd like to know if that mental development continued past six-months and/or what advantage higher menta development offers at that young age.

3. Girls manage school stress better and achieve higher academic success when dad is present in the home. Rebekah Levine Coley, "Children's Socialization Experiences and Functioning in Single-Mother Households: The Importance of Fathes and Other Men," Child Development 69 (Feb. 1998) 219-230.

Oh - so I guess that early mental development continues into school-age years. Cool.

I'm finding many many more, but I'm tired so I'll just start with these three for now. I'll post more later.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I just felt the need to make the case for fathers. I believe a good father in the home is a true benefits children should not do without.
I agree that having a father at home is beneficial to the child, but I'm not sure why a case needs to be made for it?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I agree that having a father at home is beneficial to the child, but I'm not sure why a case needs to be made for it?
Because when combined with "the case for mothers", some people think they end up with a 'trump card' against homosexuality.

Wonder Twin Powers...Activate!!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I agree, fellas. Fathers are great, but why the "case" for them?

I'd be more inclined to start something called, "The Case for Parents." :D

For a second there, I thought I was venturing in to one of Lee Strobel's essays. ;)

Watchmen

Premium Member
Because when combined with "the case for mothers", some people think they end up with a 'trump card' against homosexuality.

Wonder Twin Powers...Activate!!

You've come to the wrong place my friend. I do not oppose gay marriage and, as a Californian, I will vote "no" on Prop. 8.

Take your rant somewhere else.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I agree, fellas. Fathers are great, but why the "case" for them?

I'd be more inclined to start something called, "The Case for Parents." :D

For a second there, I thought I was venturing in to one of Lee Strobel's essays. ;)

I call it the "case for fathers" because the research I am reading and quoting and citing to is about the impact of fathers on children, especially daughters. I am the father of a daughter and am interested in the unique impact I can have on her as such.

kai

ragamuffin
fathers dont get enough recognition especially during a break up , the courts rarely give fathers any credit an unfortunately our society (in the UK anyway) doesnt give the father the same rights as the mother, in my view they are equally important in every way.

Watchmen

Premium Member
fathers dont get enough recognition especially during a break up , the courts rarely give fathers any credit an unfortunately our society (in the UK anyway) doesnt give the father the same rights as the mother, in my view they are equally important in every way.

Thank you.

I'll post more stats and research results when I have the time.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Would the children still get the good grades and be able to solve their problems better if their fathers had been there, only they were jerks the whole time??

Watchmen

Premium Member
Would the children still get the good grades and be able to solve their problems better if their fathers had been there, only they were jerks the whole time??

The OP refers to "good fathers" and the research includes some of the characteristics of the fathers. For example, daughters are more confident when their fathers dote on them.

McBell

You've come to the wrong place my friend. I do not oppose gay marriage and, as a Californian, I will vote "no" on Prop. 8.

Take your rant somewhere else.
Rant?
What rant?
I merely answered a question with my opinion.

I received full care, control, custody and concern (courts wording, not mine) of my daughter during my divorce.

Watchmen

Premium Member
so, you think my opinion is off the mark?
For you it may be, but there are several on this forum alone who are guilty as charged.

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth. I don't care about others on the forum or their guilt or your homosexuality or my heterosexuality.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THAT.

McBell

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth. I don't care about others on the forum or their guilt or your homosexuality or my heterosexuality.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THAT.
I didn't put any words in your mouth.
I simply asked a question.
You did notice the question mark at the end of the sentence, right?

You assume to much.
What makes you think that I am a homosexual?

Interesting is the fact that it is YOU who is continuing the homosexual side of this thread.
All the while complaining that it is not supposed to be about that.

Why is that?