• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Magical Names

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
For those who use them, what is the purpose and use of a magical name? Are there any drawbacks?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I use it to help separate my everyday self from my magical self, in the same way one might ask to be called by a different name around friends than around coworkers or superiors. No one wants to take their work home with them.

No drawbacks so far, aside from a minor burgeoning alter ego.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
They allow for different layers of recognition. In my first initiation I actually chose two names, and one was kept secret and only is used in ceremony. I speak that secret name maybe a few times a year and so whenever I do it is has a strong personal resonance. It is in a context of 'hey gods, do you remember me?, *****?' And since the gods were involved in giving me that name.. they listen.

There is also a 'persona' that attaches to a name. My current teacher in a different current has an initiatory name he taught me to use when I speak to certain spirits and recite the lineage by which I have authority or license upon which to call them. I never use that name to call him unless we are in the middle of a ceremony.. those words are reserved for that place and time.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really use magical names as such, but I never refer to myself internally by my given name. I hate my given name; it does not represent who I am and represents many things that I dislike. I have many names I use, each represents something of who I actually am or things I value and find meaning in. As far as I'm concerned, there are no drawbacks to naming yourself something that has actual meaning to you instead of using a stupid name that misrepresents you and your values.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
While not invalidating your feelings in the matter Q, I would like to offer a counterpoint. Whatever our feelings about our given names and those who gave them to us, they are our names. Just as whatever our feelings about our ancestors are, they are ours and we have little control of that. In a similar manner if I want to effect someone with sorcery for boon or bane I want their full given name, not some nickname. Unless I can get their private magical name*.

I say this because recently in a ceremonial context I had to announce myself using my full given name and recite the full given names of as many of my ancestors as I could on either side of my parental lineage. The effect was surprising, and has continued to surprise me in many ways in its subtle profundity. Whatever your feelings about the matrix history of your DNA your every fiber, impression, and motivation is the product of this strands expression and it should be honored as such. Our ancestors were as much victims to the negative consequences of this as we are, but finding the strength to deal with the burdens we are given is one of the gifts they can lend us through their veneration.

*Oh wait here's another one of those drawbacks you were looking for Adramalek. Trust those you give your name to, or the forces you have pacted in the naming.. Just as it can be a reserve of strength, it gives a potential adversary a target as to the nature and character of these strengths.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh, it's a cultural thing, and I hate how my culture does names in general. It's bad enough that last names follow a patriarchal pattern than diminishes the importance of female ancestors, but then we're forced to adopt whatever name is given to us by others with no say in the decision whatsoever. IMHO, given names should be temporary. When a child comes of age, they undergo a year-long contemplation to pick what they feel is their True Name. Then, they get a proper rite of passage initiation/ceremony into the adult world and will be known by the name they have chosen for themselves.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Eh, it's a cultural thing, and I hate how my culture does names in general. It's bad enough that last names follow a patriarchal pattern than diminishes the importance of female ancestors, but then we're forced to adopt whatever name is given to us by others with no say in the decision whatsoever. IMHO, given names should be temporary. When a child comes of age, they undergo a year-long contemplation to pick what they feel is their True Name. Then, they get a proper rite of passage initiation/ceremony into the adult world and will be known by the name they have chosen for themselves.

You can always make a legal name change for yourself. Your name belongs to you and you have domain over it by law. You want some other name, might as well make it your own, no? :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not that simple to change my legal name at this point. I'm too old. I have a considerable work/education history under that name, as well as some scientific publications. This is why it should be incorporated as part of a coming of age thing: it's done before the person builds up any kind of reputation and paper trail in broader society that makes doing it considerably more problematic.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
*blind post*

Ive learnt different uses and viewpoints when it comes to magical names. Someone told me to work out my magical name using different methods (like numbers, letter substitution or whatever) and they were all pretty lame. So I didnt really bother.

I believe some keep their magical name a secret and identify as that being their true name.