• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love vs. Society

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
First, I think it's obvious that love can be at odds with the established social order. For instance, two homosexuals might fall in love in a society that prohibits homosexual marriages. Again, a Muslim and a Hindu might fall in love in a village that prohibits inter-religious marriages.

It also seems obvious to me that love can be at odds with morality. For instance, a couple might have pre-marital sex in a society that considers it immoral to have sex outside of marriage. Or a married person might commit adultery with "the love of their life".

So when love conflicts with society or morality, which should win out? Love or society (or morality)?

A very difficult question to answer..............
What about the love of a Christian God in those countries where that is not acceptable? - what "wrong" occurs from that love ? - the danger of corruption of the culture.

Culture is the interweaving of society's rules within the populace which leaves people feeling "safe". Sometimes the solution to the problem is escape - escape into a society or group where deviation from the rules matters not.

Morality, again, is a sociological set of rules which depends on culture.

The common denominator in all of this is "culture" - having said that, it sounds as if culture is more important in society than love............

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
True Love will win every time because it won't allow itself to become impure. Balance is important. If you love someone so much that everyone else including your children become completely unimportant then your lover will probably love you less because of it.

Lust/Attraction/Need/Caring-Concern should let morality win out.

Society when it contradicts morality should slowly change to accommodate morality. And this usually means that it should accommodate love because love is not often wrong morally speaking.

MTF

averageJOE

zombie
Why marry someone if you're not willing to stay true to the vows you made when you married them? Going after someone else when you're already married isn't love.

There is a large difference between love and lust. Lust is selfish. Love is selfless.

1) People fall out of love all the time. People change all the time and they can simply grow apart.

2) Lust and love are independant of each other, but they can also be one in the same. Two people in love can still lust after each other. And there is nothing wrong with acting out on that lust.

It is a difficult question to answer, but I think that anyone should be able to love whoever they want to, so long as they don't hurt anyone. Each society has different laws though (age of consent). Thats really the only "rule" that I think should be followed. That and insect.

Catadiotric

I get the feeling that we do not all define "love" and "morality" the same way, so we might be talking past each other when try to discuss this.

"But the fruit of the Spiit is love... against such things there is no law." Galations 5:22