• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love vs. Society

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
First, I think it's obvious that love can be at odds with the established social order. For instance, two homosexuals might fall in love in a society that prohibits homosexual marriages. Again, a Muslim and a Hindu might fall in love in a village that prohibits inter-religious marriages.

It also seems obvious to me that love can be at odds with morality. For instance, a couple might have pre-marital sex in a society that considers it immoral to have sex outside of marriage. Or a married person might commit adultery with "the love of their life".

So when love conflicts with society or morality, which should win out? Love or society (or morality)?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Love, always love. But that of course is just wishfull thinking. :/

For the most part, I tend to agree. But what about a situation in which a family is broken up because one of the parents discovers they are in love with someone besides their partner?

Or what about a situation in which someone murders the spouse of someone they are in love with? Such as when King David murdered the spouse of the woman he was in love with in order to be with her?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
So when love conflicts with society or morality, which should win out? Love or society (or morality)?

Morality. Love is fluid and can always change.

Of course, if two people are in love, they really shouldn't give a damn about society or society's morals.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Love is fluid and can always change.

Is that so? You don't think there are any loves that last a lifetime? Just curious.

Of course, if two people are in love, they really shouldn't give a damn about society or society's morals.

What if the two people in love cross the line for statutory rape? What if she's 15 and he's 24? Should they give a damn about society's morals then?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Is that so? You don't think there are any loves that last a lifetime? Just curious.
I worded that weird. My point was that love can exist in a variety of situations. Love can still conform to social moral standards and exist.

What if the two people in love cross the line for statutory rape? What if she's 15 and he's 24? Should they give a damn about society's morals then?

My personal opinion is that a person is a legal adult at 13. However, because secular does not agree I would say that a 15 and 24 year old should not be having sex.

It's not illegal for them to be together, they just can't do anything together (sexually--which they shouldn't be doing anyways if they're not married).

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Are there any times when love trumps morality, Knight?
Trumps how? You mean is there any time when a person's love for another should allow them to act in a way that is not moral? No.

But if a person loves another and commits an immoral act in order to express this love then I don't think that the person should be considered as guilty. I mean, to be impassioned by love...that is something one has little control over.

Granted, those who feel like they should commit acts of immorality for their love should be given a reality check.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
For the most part, I tend to agree. But what about a situation in which a family is broken up because one of the parents discovers they are in love with someone besides their partner?

Why marry someone if you're not willing to stay true to the vows you made when you married them? Going after someone else when you're already married isn't love.

Or what about a situation in which someone murders the spouse of someone they are in love with? Such as when King David murdered the spouse of the woman he was in love with in order to be with her?

This is also not love. It was lust. David saw Bath-Sheba bathing on the roof and wanted her for himself.

There is a large difference between love and lust. Lust is selfish. Love is selfless.

twinmama

Pedofilia is not love. So if adult man has sex with child that is not love and I don't think OP meant that?
Unfortenately religions cause so much heartbreak when people can't be together if they are different faiths. How utterly sad. And cruel and inhumane.
One would think that at this time in history religions would have reached some humanity and compassion but unfortenately in too many cases it isn't true.

I think honesty is a required in a relationship and trust.
I won't act in a way I wouldn't act if you were in the room and I expect you to do the same. I am on your side and I expect you to be on mine. I won't undermine you and I expect you not to undermine me,this isn't limited to sexual activity.

Mr Cheese

First, I think it's obvious that love can be at odds with the established social order. For instance, two homosexuals might fall in love in a society that prohibits homosexual marriages. Again, a Muslim and a Hindu might fall in love in a village that prohibits inter-religious marriages.

It also seems obvious to me that love can be at odds with morality. For instance, a couple might have pre-marital sex in a society that considers it immoral to have sex outside of marriage. Or a married person might commit adultery with "the love of their life".

depends if the love is mutual....

rape is not mutual for example...

I see no problem with commited loving consentual adults...whatever the situation.

Of course incest is icky

linwood

When love conflicts with society, society should be ignored as far as it can be.
If it cannot be ignored society should be changed to correspond more closely with love.

If love conflicts with morality then love should be ignored.
At least for myself I`ve learned that my morality is the way to go to cause the least harm.