• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love and "God"

buddhist

I see many posts from theists and syncretists often stating that "God is Love," or love is the essence of all true religion, or that love is the common feature amongst all religions (not completely true when it comes to early Buddhism), or other similar statements along those lines.

My question is, why does there seem to be such a pervasive belief?

Love can be quite harmful, as it is a form of attachment which can lead to great sufferings; I needn't give examples of unrequited love, love for excitement, love for status, power, wealth, etc. all of which often lead to unskillful and harmful results. In early Buddhism, compassion is a quality considered greater than love, as compassion leads to less suffering than love; likewise, empathetic joy is greater than compassion, and equanimity is in turn greater than empathetic joy.

Last edited:

Tabu

I see many posts from theists and syncretists often stating that "God is Love," or love is the essence of all true religion, or that love is the common feature amongst all religions (not completely true when it comes to early Buddhism), or other similar statements along those lines.

Love can be quite harmful, as it is a form of attachment which can lead to great sufferings; I needn't give examples of unrequited love, love for excitement, love for status, power, wealth, etc. all of which often lead to unskillful and harmful results. In early Buddhism, compassion is a quality considered greater than love, as compassion leads to less suffering than love; likewise, empathetic joy is greater than compassion, and equanimity is in turn greater than empathetic joy.
When we (Brahmakumaris ) talk about Love and the loving nature of all souls including the Supreme soul , it means acceptance and accommodation, this love is considered a positive emotion which strengthens the soul , as against attachment which is considered a negative emotion which weakens the soul power.
We recognize 5 qualities which we call the 5 vices which weaken the soul ,they are lust , anger , greed , attachment and ego and above all of them from where they all originate is body consciousness , i.e. being deluded and ruled by the 5 senses .
The original or the fullest , or the most complete nature of the soul is powerful , loving , peaceful ,content , knowledgeful , pure and blissful , and these qualities can be regained to a great extent by reminding oneself of ones true spiritual nature , and gaining control and mastery over the senses.
This analogy is represented by a picture of a chariot(body) driven by 5 horses ( senses) , so as long as the reins ( mind) are tight and the charioteer(soul) controls the horses , the journey is smooth , and if the charioteer lets the reins go loose and the horses run hither and thither , it would turn out to be a tumultuous, wild and hurtful race.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Might be something that the scholars have looked into, if it is indeed pervasive (which it may not be). Nt sure I can provide much insight unless I try to do a literature review, because it isn't something you would catch me saying.

That said, based on some of the rest of your comments in the OP, I think it is worth asking a few follow-up questions. You mention that you feel love can be "quite harmful." The word "love" covers a lot of ground in the English language, so it would be important to clarify what the person means by "love" with those statements. It may be in the context and meaning a person intends, it would not be accurate to characterize it as a form of attachment. But I couldn't tell you since, as I said, you wouldn't catch me saying something like that. Unless I'm talking about Eros or something.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Interesting thread!

There is a difference between love & attachment - a Google search tosses up a few.

True love is fairly rare - most people mistake attachment for love at this stage of our evolution.

True love is a wonderful feeling and can be extended to all living beings - I think that is what most religions should be all about but unfortunately the message gets distorted or misinterpreted.

All the best!

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I think the love talked about in good religions is 'brotherly love' that is unselfish and senses the oneness of all sentient beings. Compassion I think is a another word for this 'brotherly love'. I think religions are rightly critical of passionate love which is more lusting for things.

From my pantheistic viewpoint, I think the reason this is a constant theme throughout religions is because we are all on the path of realizing we are all One.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I like this quote -

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that."

~ MIchael Leunig

Love his cartoons too!

Namaste

buddhist

When we (Brahmakumaris ) talk about Love and the loving nature of all souls including the Supreme soul , it means acceptance and accommodation, this love is considered a positive emotion which strengthens the soul , as against attachment which is considered a negative emotion which weakens the soul power.
We recognize 5 qualities which we call the 5 vices which weaken the soul ,they are lust , anger , greed , attachment and ego and above all of them from where they all originate is body consciousness , i.e. being deluded and ruled by the 5 senses .
The original or the fullest , or the most complete nature of the soul is powerful , loving , peaceful ,content , knowledgeful , pure and blissful , and these qualities can be regained to a great extent by reminding oneself of ones true spiritual nature , and gaining control and mastery over the senses.
This analogy is represented by a picture of a chariot(body) driven by 5 horses ( senses) , so as long as the reins ( mind) are tight and the charioteer(soul) controls the horses , the journey is smooth , and if the charioteer lets the reins go loose and the horses run hither and thither , it would turn out to be a tumultuous, wild and hurtful race.
Is love completely void of suffering, in your theology?

2X4

Christians are confused with the phrase " Love of God". The Love of God is symbolic for information that is processed into the visible images and invisible thoughts that all happen in our individual Minds. It means "LIFE".

buddhist

Might be something that the scholars have looked into, if it is indeed pervasive (which it may not be). Nt sure I can provide much insight unless I try to do a literature review, because it isn't something you would catch me saying.

That said, based on some of the rest of your comments in the OP, I think it is worth asking a few follow-up questions. You mention that you feel love can be "quite harmful." The word "love" covers a lot of ground in the English language, so it would be important to clarify what the person means by "love" with those statements. It may be in the context and meaning a person intends, it would not be accurate to characterize it as a form of attachment. But I couldn't tell you since, as I said, you wouldn't catch me saying something like that. Unless I'm talking about Eros or something.
Do you believe there are types of love that possess no attachment?

buddhist

Interesting thread!

There is a difference between love & attachment - a Google search tosses up a few.

True love is fairly rare - most people mistake attachment for love at this stage of our evolution.

True love is a wonderful feeling and can be extended to all living beings - I think that is what most religions should be all about but unfortunately the message gets distorted or misinterpreted.

All the best!
I wouldn't say that love & attachment are the same things: just that love is one form of attachment.

buddhist

Christians are confused with the phrase " Love of God". The Love of God is symbolic for information that is processed into the visible images and invisible thoughts that all happen in our individual Minds. It means "LIFE".
Life is attachment, in a way, and causes suffering. Life inevitably ends in death.

Kirran

Premium Member
I'd venture that pure and true love is utterly non-directional, utterly universal and non-conditional. So that would be attachment. Love can be attaching only insofar as it is constrained in its range.

buddhist

I'd venture that pure and true love is utterly non-directional, utterly universal and non-conditional. So that would be attachment. Love can be attaching only insofar as it is constrained in its range.
Are you claiming that there is a type of love that possesses no attachment?

Kirran

Premium Member
Are you claiming that there is a type of love that possesses no attachment?

I'm saying that from my perspective love is not attached, but can be channeled by attachments, more like that. Love is like water that looks a different colour depending on the colour of the stones it's running over.

buddhist

I'm saying that from my perspective love is not attached, but can be channeled by attachments, more like that. Love is like water that looks a different colour depending on the colour of the stones it's running over.
I am unsure I can perceive a type of unattached love (e.g. if there is nothing to love)

Kirran

Premium Member
I am unsure I can perceive a type of unattached love (e.g. if there is nothing to love)

I suppose it is somewhat hard to grasp as an object of awareness. But that's because it's so fundamental to our being, I think. Honestly I feel that at the core of our (and reality's) being consciousness, love and nothingness are revealed to be the same thing.

But I'm still working on these things.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe there are types of love that possess no attachment?

It hinges on what is meant by "attachment" and "love," but to me, absolutely. Then again, I also don't regard "attachment" as some sort of evil thing to be avoided at all costs, so whether it has it or it doesn't is not an important issue for me.

Tabu

Is love completely void of suffering, in your theology?
This love which I am talking about is the ability to accept and accommodate and doesn't bring suffering ,a powerful soul exhibits such qualities,
whereas what is normally considered as love is attachment , dependency and expectation which are bound to cause suffering.