• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lockerbie bomber being released

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Scotland has proved that Justice and compassion can go hand in hand.
Revenge and hate have no part to play in justice.

There is no reciprocal link between the action and lack of remorse shown by a criminal,
and the actions and ethic of a nation.

Scottish Morality as displayed today has much to teach other nations.
Just as Jesus in the Beatitudes has much to teach us all in these situations.

Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Blessed are those who morn, they shall be consoled.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice. The justice of God shall be theirs.

Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
There has always been some controversy over this Man as to whether he is the culprit or not so it will be interesting if any more information comes out from his release.
IMO if you are guilty of Murder you should die in Prison,that as i see it is justice and as it should be,its tough yes but so is Murder

Smoke

Done here.
I was shocked when I saw the headline, and I'd be opposed to his release under any other circumstances, but if he's dying, let the man go home to die.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I have no problem with him being moved to a Libyan prison if they keep him there until the day he dies.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
We need to remember the Families of the victims are still serving their sentence of grief so if the Man was guilty he should stay in Prison until his last breath.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
Why is it that people seem to think that we should just forget all the ****** up bad things folks did in their lives just because they are dying or dead?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

There is no reciprocal link between the action and lack of remorse shown by a criminal,

Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Blessed are those who morn, they shall be consoled.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice. The justice of God shall be theirs.

Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

:facepalm:

So what invaluable lessons does giving a murderer a kiss on the cheek and a slap on the *** impart upon the rest of the world? Dancing on the graves of his victims isn't exactly something you should be taking pride in, son.

Last edited:

richardlowellt

There is no justice in letting this mass murderer go free. There is no morality involved I letting this man go, people are responsible for their actions and MUST pay the consequence for those actions. The consequence for this mans actions that scared thousands of people was life in prison. In my opinion the Scottish Government should be ashamed at their lack of resolve.

I'm still not convinced anyone called Jesus Christ ever existed.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How is that hypocritical?
I'll probably regret this, but. . .

While I certainly don't expect you to share my philosophy, nor am I attempting to excuse the actions of the man, nor am I attempting to speak for the people who condone his release, nor am I suggesting that past actions be ignored, nor am I making any comment remotely related to remembering the victims (so much for the requisite disclaimer, I think I'll include one standard with every post I make from now on), we are all human. In recognizing that none of us lead a perfect life, any one of us can take a human life --accidentally, needfully, or with complete deliberation and malicious wilfulness --and that each of us in turn has the potential to be grateful for kindness shown on our deathbeds, it would be hypocritical of "some people" not to forgive and forget.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'll probably regret this, but. . .

While I certainly don't expect you to share my philosophy, nor am I attempting to excuse the actions of the man, nor am I attempting to speak for the people who condone his release, nor am I suggesting that past actions be ignored, nor am I making any comment remotely related to remembering the victims (so much for the requisite disclaimer, I think I'll include one standard with every post I make from now on), we are all human. In recognizing that none of us lead a perfect life, any one of us can take a human life --accidentally, needfully, or with complete deliberation and malicious wilfulness --and that each of us in turn has the potential to be grateful for kindness shown on our deathbeds, it would be hypocritical of "some people" not to forgive and forget.

Hey, everything cannot be expressed in a simple and straightforward manner. Please try to keep this in mind.

A

angellous_evangellous

I have no problem with him being moved to a Libyan prison if they keep him there until the day he dies.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

It looked to me like everyone knew he was dying when he was convicted in 2001, and he appealed for release just a few months later in 2002 to go home and die.

I smell a fish.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can understand that those brought up in the Jewish faith might believe in the philosophy of a tooth for a tooth. I can also understand how someone with out a belief in God might feel the same way.

However I can not understand someone who follows the teachings of Jesus, and then does not them selves understand forgiveness, compassion, and love... Jesus showed us that it is easy to do this for your friends, but that it is also necessary to do the same for those that do you harm and are your enemies.

Nato forces always treat their wounded enemies in their own field hospitals, even though those enemies might have killed hundreds of their fellow Nato soldiers.

Compassion does not consult an account book. It is one of the finest human traits and is unconditional.

Under Scottish Law and ethic, He had to be considered for compassionate release, and as he met the full criteria required, he was duly released.

There was no need to consider Vengeance, revenge or lack of forgiveness by anyone, nor was the original crime or number of deaths or the time he had served, part of the equation.

Neither was Political pressure, from home and international sources part of that criteria that had to be considered; In fact it would have been counter productive as an intrusion into Scottish legal procedures.

Had the trial been held in the USA the man would have been executed long since. Or at the very least been left to rot in goal.

This case demonstrate very clearly the differences between various countries accepted social ethic, and has been no surprise to anyone.