• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living Prophets

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
There are currently eight billion people alive on Earth. The total amount of people to ever exist is roughly 80 billion. That means one out of ten people who were ever alive are alive now. Yet living prophets are so rare now. Why? All the prophets that seem to have existed are now dead. So why aren't there any living prophets now? And if you could nominate someone who is currently alive to prophet status whom would that person be?

For me it would probably be Martin Page. He is by far my favorite musician and his music speaks to my soul. Uplifts and revigorates me. Yet I don't think even he would want that status himself. The Baha'is claim that there won't be another major prophet until 1,000 years after Baha'u'llah's death, which was about 250 years ago. So 750 more years until another prophet... But with how things have changed I'm surprised there isn't more people wanting to achieve that status.

Exaltism is an Omnist-type religion which everybody in the faith automatically gets a prophet-like status. Similar to how the Quakers view their Friends. And between adopting the personal investigation of truth from Baha'is to ongoing revelations from Quaker Friends, there's a lot of detail that is currently missing because nobody wants that job. I don't even want it honestly. A few weeks ago I had the idea of exalting my closest friend to prophet status but he really didn't want to be viewed that way either.

I am still considering the idea of exalting someone towards that status, but I don't want to take a near-stranger and do that to him or her. It has to be someone who I can fully respect and trust and will carry on my wishes for Exaltism. I wish Exaltism had a living prophet, but I can't even get my closest friends to believe in my advanced theology. Honestly, I wish Exaltism and in fact all other religions always had a living prophet, someone to turn to for guidance at all times. When one prophet dies another takes his place...

Similar to the Pope. I see the Pope himself similar to this position, but if there was a living prophet of Exaltism he or she would need to write scripture constantly and help many people in the same way Baha'u'llah did, just updated for today's evolving audience.

Most religions have leaders. People who take charge of all the congregations. Those aren't really considered prophets however. In fact, many of those people seem to be close to the prophets of those religions, in some spiritual way. They aren't the same however. Sure, there are a few new religions, NRMs or cults that exist today that could be considered having living prophets. When people think of a living prophet they often think of cults, given the fact that a cult isn't a religion until and if that cult exists after that prophet has died.

But aren't there so many established bonafide religions that exist today that either the prophet is currently living or the mantel of prophecy has been carried on to someone who is responsible enough for such task? The only religion that I can really think where this might be a case is Roman Catholicism and the Pope. But Catholics don't tend to view their Pope as a prophet, just a very holy person. Why don't most religions have a living prophet to continue to write and update scriptures? And why are so many religions stuck in the past?

I don't get it. :(

And by the way, I am the only Exaltist. Exalting myself appears pointless to me. Despite what you may think I'm not an egomaniac or egotheistic of any kind...

King Phenomenon

There are currently eight billion people alive on Earth. The total amount of people to ever exist is roughly 80 billion. That means one out of ten people who were ever alive are alive now. Yet living prophets are so rare now. Why? All the prophets that seem to have existed are now dead. So why aren't there any living prophets now? And if you could nominate someone who is currently alive to prophet status whom would that person be?

For me it would probably be Martin Page. He is by far my favorite musician and his music speaks to my soul. Uplifts and revigorates me. Yet I don't think even he would want that status himself. The Baha'is claim that there won't be another major prophet until 1,000 years after Baha'u'llah's death, which was about 250 years ago. So 750 more years until another prophet... But with how things have changed I'm surprised there isn't more people wanting to achieve that status.

Exaltism is an Omnist-type religion which everybody in the faith automatically gets a prophet-like status. Similar to how the Quakers view their Friends. And between adopting the personal investigation of truth from Baha'is to ongoing revelations from Quaker Friends, there's a lot of detail that is currently missing because nobody wants that job. I don't even want it honestly. A few weeks ago I had the idea of exalting my closest friend to prophet status but he really didn't want to be viewed that way either.

I am still considering the idea of exalting someone towards that status, but I don't want to take a near-stranger and do that to him or her. It has to be someone who I can fully respect and trust and will carry on my wishes for Exaltism. I wish Exaltism had a living prophet, but I can't even get my closest friends to believe in my advanced theology. Honestly, I wish Exaltism and in fact all other religions always had a living prophet, someone to turn to for guidance at all times. When one prophet dies another takes his place...

Similar to the Pope. I see the Pope himself similar to this position, but if there was a living prophet of Exaltism he or she would need to write scripture constantly and help many people in the same way Baha'u'llah did, just updated for today's evolving audience.

Most religions have leaders. People who take charge of all the congregations. Those aren't really considered prophets however. In fact, many of those people seem to be close to the prophets of those religions, in some spiritual way. They aren't the same however. Sure, there are a few new religions, NRMs or cults that exist today that could be considered having living prophets. When people think of a living prophet they often think of cults, given the fact that a cult isn't a religion until and if that cult exists after that prophet has died.

But aren't there so many established bonafide religions that exist today that either the prophet is currently living or the mantel of prophecy has been carried on to someone who is responsible enough for such task? The only religion that I can really think where this might be a case is Roman Catholicism and the Pope. But Catholics don't tend to view their Pope as a prophet, just a very holy person. Why don't most religions have a living prophet to continue to write and update scriptures? And why are so many religions stuck in the past?

And by the way, I am the only Exaltist. Exalting myself appears pointless to me. Despite what you may think I'm not an egomaniac or egotheistic of any kind...
stuck in the past definately. I would love to to see new big ideas being followed by the many. Although religions like christianity do talk about big things like resurrection, life after death and the son of god so i guess it aint so bad

Truth in love

Its commonly accept in most Christian sects that’s prophets are a thing of the past. It’s explicit with many Muslims.
Personally I differ. I hope that God does call prophets now.
I think that there are many who while not formally a prophet can provide insight and guidance.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

I recently made a thread for Abrahamics to post on this very topic. It didn't get a lot of replies.

First of all, you have to understand there are actually two categories of prophecy.
Internal and External. When a prophecy is given to someone for their own sake,
that is Internal. It's for them, and them alone. They don't need or wish to share.

External is when the prophecy comes with an imperative to deliver it to others. This
always has a high cost, to understand reluctance to deliver just read the story of Jonah.

But, there is never External prophecy given when prophecy itself is rejected.
What would be the point? That's the state of the world now, from what I see.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Living Prophets: Sure, we have millions of them in every nook and corner of the country, on pavements and in parks, railway stations and bus stands; and abroad too, astrologers, who can accurately say what one has done in life, what one is involved in at the present time and what they will do in future. If they can do that, then they are prophets and are making prophecies. Unfortunately, it is taught in Indian universities (Phalit Jyotisha).