• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liu Ling the drinking nudist Sage of the Bamboo Grove

Baladas

An Págánach
"One famous group of Neo-Taoists was known as the Seven Worthies of the Bamboo Grove. They met in a grove of bamboo to discuss metaphysics, read poetry, often drinking heavily, and behaving whimsically...One of the members, Liu Ling (221-300) was a heavy drinker and a nudist within his house. One day a visitor came to his door and was shocked to find Liu Ling without clothing. Liua Ling responded to the visitor's surprise and said, 'I take the whole universe as my house and my own room as my clothing. Get out of my trousers!' The embarrassed visitor fled." (Fung Yu Lan 1966, 235).

When I first read this, I laughed my *** off. I just remembered it and wanted to share. :p

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
About a 20 minute drive from my place up in da U.P., there used to be a pair of nudists who lived in a cabin in da woods near my uncle's place, so when we drove up into their driveway we had to beep our horn so they could put clothes on.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
About a 20 minute drive from my place up in da U.P., there used to be a pair of nudists who lived in a cabin in da woods near my uncle's place, so when we drove up into their driveway we had to beep our horn so they could put clothes on.
I'm skeptical. How would nudists survive in the UP?

Liu Ling is my kind of sage.
Put your pants on, Sunny...

Baladas

An Págánach
That's what I figure. I do enjoy the occasional intoxication, but I tend to keep sober for my health ( and since my father is a recovering alcoholic).

Agreed on the nudity bit as well. :D

Salek Atesh

You guys clearly live somewhere warm. :D We've just entered our second winter up where I live. Clothing is optional in the same way not freezing to death is optional (We have two winters, Late December through Early March, then a Fake Spring in Mid March, then Late March through Early May is Winter again)