• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little question about the chakras

agorman

Premium Member
I intend to work on my chakras directly with their bija mantras and on some websites and books it's written that you have to work on all chakras one by one, in others that "Om" activates all chakras, in others that if you work on e.g. the Anahata chakra, it's like working on all the inferior chakras as well... etc. who's right? :facepalm:

So far I've found on the web that you have to work first on the Muladhara, then on the Swadhistana, etc. until you reach the Sahasrara. Others start with the Sahasrara and then go down.

Others say you have to work first on the Anahata chakra and then on the other ones.

Also some say "Om" is the Ajna chakra mantra and others "Ksham", etc. So, which is the "third eye" bija mantra?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my opinion, You have to work on the chakras below the muladhara first.

The muladhara is the gateway to dharma. Most Hindus know very little about chakras. The information you get is generally from the New Age movement, and considered somewhat 'iffy' by traditional Hindus. In that philosophy, the ego maintains you can be anywhere, where in reality, awareness isn't capable of moving much more than up one or down one, depending where your consciousness is most of the time.

In traditional Hindu mystical lineages, it would be something to be worked on by renunciate sannyasins and yogis under the guidance of a Guru who has mastery of all the chakras.

Last edited:

Maya3

I have always worked on all of them, one at a time, starting with the lowest chakra.
Do this VERY slowly, I cannot emphasize this enough and only if you are already an experienced meditator.

Maya

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
If you are not sure of their provenance, don't use beej mantra. Check in scriptures or Hindu ressouces, not new agey ones.

I would also begin by what's below the Muladhara. Then, when you arrive at Muladhara, work with Sri GaneshJi to seal the chakra below and thus beginning to ascend to the higher ones.

In a traditional Hindu manner, well, you should follow Guru or Shastras

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you are not sure of their provenance, don't use beej mantra. Check in scriptures or Hindu ressouces, not new agey ones.

I would also begin by what's below the Muladhara. Then, when you arrive at Muladhara, work with Sri GaneshJi to seal the chakra below and thus beginning to ascend to the higher ones.

And for starters, have an honest read of the Yamas and Niyamas. Only then will god Ganesha welcome you to the door.

But it is to each his/her own as per their understanding.

Nyingjé Tso

And for starters, have an honest read of the Yamas and Niyamas. Only then will god Ganesha welcome you to the door.

But it is to each his/her own as per their understanding.

Yes, it is important. Mantras or any sadhana doesn't work effectively if one does not follow minimum healthy rules of life. All your practices, whatever they are, will bring no results if besides you are not living accordingly.

For exemple chakras below are mostly related to bad habits or moods. There is not beej mantra powerful enough that will seal the chakra related to anger if after practice you are an angry or violent person, for exemple. Mantras are like tools, not magical formulas. You have to handle the tool first, then learn to use it correctly, or else you will not craft anything good with it or worse, you can hurt yourself.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What's nice, is everyone, no matter who or what stage of soul evolution that are at, can be on the path.

agorman

Premium Member

What's below Muladhara?

Maybe I'm wrong, but now I feel that all gods always end up leading me to manage on my own; without gurus and without gods. So, no Ganesh; my own atma must be my guru. Easier said than done! Sometimes I think I'll have no other choice but depending on some god; but then I think I should trust more in myself.

My problem with worshipping gods is that I'm not really attracted to Hindu culture (no offense), neither to the Egyptian, Norse, Greek, Roman, etc. I find a path is too hard if I'm forcing myself to relate with gods of a culture I'm not fond of. So if I use Hinduist practices like the recitation of bija mantras, is really because there's maybe no other choice. Trying to relate to God in an international, abstract way (as in Wicca) didn't result very well for me either.

I also find worshipping gods frustrating sometimes. They have blessed me sometimes and I'm grateful for it, but for some things they never helped. I don't like to be ignored. And I can't oblige a god to bless me! (It wouldn't be fair to the god anyway).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but now I feel that all gods always end up leading me to manage on my own; without gurus and without gods.

Yes, that may be the way the gods are helping you... inspiring you to find your own solutions. Just because they don't appear in a flash of lightning and thunder before us doesn't mean they don't help.

So if I use Hinduist practices like the recitation of bija mantras, is really because there's maybe no other choice.

But what is the point then? Most, if not all mantras translate as "I bow to/salute/honor [deity name]. Most slokas (verses) of praise or supplication have namah, namastestu, namaste astu, namastubhyam or some inflection like those... all based on the root 'to bow/honor'. If you don't believe in or open yourself to the power of the deity or in the mantra to invoke the deity, it is just words.

I also find worshipping gods frustrating sometimes. They have blessed me sometimes and I'm grateful for it, but for some things they never helped. I don't like to be ignored. And I can't oblige a god to bless me! (It wouldn't be fair to the god anyway).

Are you sure they've never helped, and have ignored you? ;)

agorman

Premium Member
But what is the point then? Most, if not all mantras translate as "I bow to/salute/honor [deity name].

Most mantras; not all of them. That's why I was asking about the bija mantras of the chakras. Don't they act on the chakras without the intervention of any god?

Are you sure they've never helped, and have ignored you? ;)

No no, sometimes they've helped, they gave me what I asked and more! But not always.

I could even become a better devotee; but my frustration comes from the fact itself of having to depend on gods. And worse, gods of a culture I'm not attracted to. e.g. Worshipping Rama is supposed to lead us to the celestial Ayodhya, worshipping Krishna to the celestial Vrindavan... but I wouldn't really want to end up in a paradise with Indian culture. Or e.g. to Olympus, if I'd worship Greek gods.

But guys, do you think the cultural reason is a stupid one to avoid worshipping a god? e.g. should I go back to being a devotee of Krishna if he would be willing to receive me in his paradisiacal planet after I die? Even if Vrindavan it's a place with a culture that has nothing to do with my tastes? Maybe I have a limited vision of what a paradise is?

Also as an occidental I can't help feeling strange worshipping Indian gods. But occidental paths can't be compared to the depth and completeness of oriental ones.

That's why I'm currently seeking to rise to a godly level on my own; with the hope that after dying I'll go to any place I want. The problem is most methods for this rely on the help of gods (or maybe buddhas).

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Most mantras; not all of them. That's why I was asking about the bija mantras of the chakras. Don't they act on the chakras without the intervention of any god?

I'm not educated enough with chakras and bija mantras (heck, I'm not educated at all with chakras and bija mantras :D), but everything I've read is that bija mantras should only be used after initiation by a guru. Nama japa can be done by anyone.

No no, sometimes they've helped, they gave me what I asked and more! But not always.

Paramahansa Yogananda has written that we should talk to God(dess) as a child talks to its parents and demand that we be given what we want. Personally I don't hold with that; I think they give us what we need, not necessarily what we want.

I could even become a better devotee; but my frustration comes from the fact itself of having to depend on gods. And worse, gods of a culture I'm not attracted to. e.g. Worshipping Rama is supposed to lead us to the celestial Ayodhya, worshipping Krishna to the celestial Vrindavan... but I wouldn't really want to end up in a paradise with Indian culture. Or e.g. to Olympus, if I'd worship Greek gods.

But guys, do you think the cultural reason is a stupid one to avoid worshipping a god? e.g. should I go back to being a devotee of Krishna if he would be willing to receive me in his paradisiacal planet after I die? Even if Vrindavan it's a place with a culture that has nothing to do with my tastes? Maybe I have a limited vision of what a paradise is?

I don't think it's a stupid reason, just a little misplaced. Here's a little secret... I don't believe the afterlife is like that at all. I think the images and descriptions of Goloka and Vaikuntha are metaphorical. The deities transcend culture, ethnicity, and I daresay species. The face we put on them is what appeals to us.

Also as an occidental I can't help feeling strange worshipping Indian gods. But occidental paths can't be compared to the depth and completeness of oriental ones.

I'm a white Italian-American born and raised in Newark NJ. I don't feel strange; I've always had an affinity for the Hindu deities. But this works for me. I've resisted certain things, digging my heels in, but when I let go of my resistance, things fell into place. Try opening yourself and see if things change.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you're interested in talking about chakras without Hinduism being involved, I'd recommend spiritualforums.com. It's a very new age site. Crystals, twin flames, and more. Many there will be happy to discuss chakras with you.

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Like VinayakaJi I would advise you to get what you want on new age websites of forums then.

Gods are integral part of Chakra, as they are an integral part of mantras. You cannot avoid one to get what you want with the other. Beej mantras, chakra, like any mystical work can be dangerous if not handled by at least a humble student of Guru or God.

And I don't see what you mean by culture... I'm white, european, and Hinduism isn't a problem at all in my way of life. On the contrary, it opened many doors and my mind also, very wide.

There is no interest for Hindus (well at least the traditionnals ones, which I consider being a part of) to share or teach this kind of advanced sadhanas or knowledge as taught by our Gurus or learned by initiated people or by devotees that follow the traditional path to accomplish those sadhanas.

I am absolutely not saying "you're not Hindu you don't get your answer", I am saying that what you are seeking for is not Hindu, but new Age. Therefore, maybe you should ask New age persons or look on their websites.

Some knowledge or sadhanas have always been hidden away or hard to find and to learn, but there is a reason to it. It can be very destructive in some hands, because it can be mishandled, altered, lost....

Good luck on your quest anyway ! :)

agorman

Premium Member
Thanks to all for your kind answers. :namaste

Nama japa can be done by anyone.

Is it true that "Om Nama Shivaya" is a good mantra to work on all the chakras without running the risk of becoming insane?

Paramahansa Yogananda has written that we should talk to God(dess) as a child talks to its parents and demand that we be given what we want. Personally I don't hold with that; I think they give us what we need, not necessarily what we want.

Yes I always wonder why gods sometimes don't give us what we ask. e.g. If you're a god of health it means you're willing to heal, right? Even if you're not obliged. At least if not for love, he should heal in exchange of offerings (i.e. making business). So why not help?

BTW, the frontier between needs and wants sometimes is not very defined.

Here's a little secret... I don't believe the afterlife is like that at all. I think the images and descriptions of Goloka and Vaikuntha are metaphorical. The deities transcend culture, ethnicity, and I daresay species. The face we put on them is what appeals to us.

Maybe you're right. The first time I dreamt with Krishna (actually after the first time I put him on an altar!) he appeared in a traditional way; blue, etc. but with the face of Jesus; to show me he is the same god. I understand why some view Jesus as another incarnation of Vishnu.

So my problem is a matter of forms. Hmmm maybe I should put an occidental image of some sort on my altar and call it "Krishna"?

I'm a white Italian-American born and raised in Newark NJ. I don't feel strange; I've always had an affinity for the Hindu deities. But this works for me. I've resisted certain things, digging my heels in, but when I let go of my resistance, things fell into place. Try opening yourself and see if things change.

A few years back I actually meditated with Hindu deities for a few months; but I always tend to have that "what am I doing?!" feeling. Maybe you guys are right and I should look for something New Age.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks to all for your kind answers. :namaste

Is it true that "Om Nama Shivaya" is a good mantra to work on all the chakras without running the risk of becoming insane?

This is one mantra that definitely needs initiation, just like many others. But that's the belief in most Hinduism. It's not really so much about harm, you but also but whether or not it will help.

Of course anyone is free to do whatever they want to. :) Jaya and I are just presenting orthodox views, and this is the Hindu DIR.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
TIs it true that "Om Nama Shivaya" is a good mantra to work on all the chakras without running the risk of becoming insane?

This is one mantra that definitely needs initiation, just like many others. But that's the belief in most Hinduism. It's not really so much about harm, you but also but whether or not it will help.

Of course anyone is free to do whatever they want to. :) Jaya and I are just presenting orthodox views, and this is the Hindu DIR.

Yes, this it is. I've also read that the 5 syllable mantra requires initiation but it's true that people do as they will. I personally don't recite the mantra. I did a couple of three times but it didn't seem right. I prefer the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra and this:

oṁ namaste astu bhagavan
vishveshvarāya mahādevāya tryambakāya
tripurantakāya trikagnikalāya kalagnirudrāya
nilakanthāya mrityunjayāya sarveshvarāya
sadāśivāya sriman mahādevāya namaha

When I was about to have shoulder surgery, one of the Shaiva priests at temple said to me "You sit here [he meant in front of the Sri Shiva sanctum] and you pray Shiva, you say moola mantra 1008 times, no one talk to you, just pray, he help you" (for some reason his English was better that day than it was last Sunday... oh well... :shrug: :D).

Well, the Lord did help in sending me to the right doctors, though I never did the mantra. I think it's because I had faith the devas would help.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh stop! :D Well, I thought the three horizontal vibhuti lines on their foreheads (and the top-knot this priest wears) were a dead giveaway. :p