• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listening/chanting/writing mantras. In need of opinion.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
These days, the pranayama I do only needs about a 3 time repetition before it 'sticks'. So it's close to automatic.
Yep, that's more or less what I mean. I use the mantra till my inner motor turns over and the inner engine begins to roar. :D Ditto on the control of metabolic functions too. When I went in to get my umbilical hernia patched over. The nurse asked if I was nervous because my heart rate was quite high. I simply lowered it a few pegs. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Very good advice. Very good.
hehe ... the dentist's office and chair is a great place to practice. I've always had an ego daydream of falling asleep while he's using 'the whistler' on a tooth. But you have to be a bit careful for when to use it ... while driving isn't the best option.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
hehe ... the dentist's office and chair is a great place to practice. I've always had an ego daydream of falling asleep while he's using 'the whistler' on a tooth. But you have to be a bit careful for when to use it ... while driving isn't the best option.
Or operating heavy machinery. Not the best time to become one with the universe. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yep, that's more or less what I mean. I use the mantra till my inner motor turns over and the inner engine begins to roar. :D Ditto on the control of metabolic functions too. When I went in to get my umbilical hernia patched over. The nurse asked if I was nervous because my heart rate was quite high. I simply lowered it a few pegs. :)

Grade 6 science class ... the kids were always amazed at how quickly their heart beats went down.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I actually no longer need a mantra, as after 40+ years, I just go into "the zone"

Go into "the zone" I need no mantra. But to stay prolonged "in the zone" = no mind, for me mantra is still useful. But I only did 20+ years;)

Jedster

I actually no longer need a mantra, as after 40+ years, I just go into "the zone". :) I still use one, like with the surf board metaphor, but my focus is good enough to sustain given states without it. You just learn tricks along the way.
@YmirGF @stvdv

Interesting posts re:mantras, so hum

I've never done mantra or chanting meditations, however when I was first taught meditation , it was to listen to the sound of one's natural breath.

So - being the sound of the in-breath and hung being the sound of the out breath; without changing the pace of your breathing.
I found it very effective and was amazed by it's simplicity. And, to pinch a phrase from YmirGF, my focus is now good enough to sustain given states without it.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The weird thing for me is that I never meditate to relax. I will sometimes do some stretches and light exercise before meditating though. It helps to relax the body first and dissipate built up nervous energy, once done, getting into the meditative state(s) is relatively easy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like YmirGF, stvdv and Vinayaka say, breathing is important if one has no problems with it, but the mantra is for moving the focus, calming of the mind. With practice, it becomes quicker, sometimes nearly instantaneous as our three friends have said. I just require one deep breath and exhalation and I am ready. So, be your calm self, do the japa without physically inconveniencing yourself. That is what I would say.

108 is good enough number for some one trying to focus (Written, spoken or pronounced internally, whatever convenient). Then people go into hyperbole - do it ten times, a hundred times or a hundred thousand time. IMHO, It is quite unnecessary and even harmful (waste of time). 11, 21, 51, 101 or 1001, etc. are to show that it is more than the previous number. One more on the go kind of thing.
Go into "the zone" I need no mantra. But to stay prolonged "in the zone" = no mind, for me mantra is still useful. But I only did 20+ years;)
IMHO, there is no need to "remain in the zone". I do not think that brings any benefit.

Last edited:

Amani_Bhava

First of all, I'm not Hindu. If you want to know more about my beliefs and who I am read my introductory post here: Hello Everyone! My dad and I and how all started.
When my father died I started practicing meditation to help me cope with grief. I remember it helped a lot at that time. In 2015 I was diagnosed with asthma and in July 2016 I almost die from pneumonia. I was hospitalized a month and a half and my Dr. did everything at his reach to save my life. But it seems asthma many times comes together with anxiety issues, so I am unable to meditate anymore. I used to be a bookworm as well and now I cannot focus enough to finish a book.
So I came across online this Hindu guy who is trying to help me with my mother's depression (which makes me more anxious) and my health related anxiety. He mentioned the mantra Om Namah Shivaya and that I should chant it 108 times.

Of course I did my own research on mantras and found out a lot of interesting stuff, to wit: That it was very relaxing and miraculously beneficial to write them as well. Source: How to Practice Likhita Japa (Mantra Writing) And Dissolve Stress Instantly
I never do what I'm told without some research of my own.

I would like to know your input on the subject, for instance: Why repetitions are often 11, 21, 51, or 108? Is it the same chanting them inwardly than listening or chanting out loud? What are your thoughts on writing the mantra instead?

All respectful opinions are welcome!

You have asked several question. Will try to answer some of them briefly.

11, 21, 51 are not auspicious numbers but 108. Indians give gifts with a 1 added like gift of Rupees 1,001 on a birthday etc. Gradually this practice of adding 1 also became a part of puja offering so usually one would buy a puja offering of Rs 201, 501 and so on (by no means is this universal practice)

Regarding 108 .. it is considered an auspicious number in Vedic religion .. for more information see .. (note everyone has a different answer as to why 108 is important)

Please Explain The Number 108

To chant silently or out loud - Depends on the situation. If you are trying to center your mind during meditation, chant out loud (loud does not really mean loud but low monotone). If you are in a stressful situation (such as at your workplace or dentist's chamber) chant inwards. It reduces chatter in your mind (the monkey mind).

Writing the mantra is done for same reason - to focus the mind. Stop the chatter and you will find what you want.

You can chant Om Namah Shivaya, Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya and number of other mantras depending on your sect.

Also, look at this writing about Ajahn Sao Kantasīlo. Note what he says about meditating on the word "Buddho"

Ajaan Sao's Teaching: A Reminiscence of Phra Ajaan Sao Kantasilo

namaste

A_B

stvdv

IMHO, there is no need to "remain in the zone". I do not think that brings any benefit

I do not think that brings any benefit
I can't speak from experience. But I imagine Poorna Avatars, they "remain in the zone?". For me "being in the zone" is "being the witness..".

I remember my guru telling always "3 things needed for a devotee":
1: 24/7 think of God [CIA = Constant Integrated Awareness]
2:
3:

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For being the witness, you do not need meditation. You see all the time. You are a witness all the time. Only the understanding is different.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
@YmirGF @stvdv

Interesting posts re:mantras, so hum

I've never done mantra or chanting meditations, however when I was first taught meditation , it was to listen to the sound of one's natural breath.

So - being the sound of the in-breath and hung being the sound of the out breath; without changing the pace of your breathing.
I found it very effective and was amazed by it's simplicity. And, to pinch a phrase from YmirGF, my focus is now good enough to sustain given states without it.

Thank you! Did I mention I suffer from asthma? I cannot focus in my breathing because I get nervous trying to hear if there's some wheezing or sth strange. My breathing is very shallow besides. So I was trying to find out if I coud substitute it for mantra listening/writing instead...

stvdv

Thank you! Did I mention I suffer from asthma? I cannot focus in my breathing because I get nervous trying to hear if there's some wheezing or sth strange. My breathing is very shallow besides. So I was trying to find out if I coud substitute it for mantra listening/writing instead...

Hi Cerridwen33,
For me it's not listening to the breath. Just breath slower and deeper will do the trick. Don't worry about thinking or listening. Keep it simple. Just breathe
[You have to breathe anyway. Now you only breathe a little deeper and slower]

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
While I like your suggestion, Stvdv, IMHO, trying to listen something also causes loss of focus. Then you focus on what you are listening. I agree with your post before that. Don't do anything other than telling your mind softly 'Calm down, calm down, leave your monkey business'.

stvdv

While I like your suggestion, Stvdv, IMHO, trying to listen something also causes loss of focus. Then you focus on what you are listening. I agree with your post before that. Don't do anything other than telling your mind softly 'Calm down, calm down, leave your monkey business'.

I agree. But Cerridwen33 might be 33y. She asked about music. So I answered and I felt mantra was a good choice. When I was 33y I listened more to mantras, now I never think even to switch on music. Because like you said, it takes focus away. For her mantras might be good now. I would never tell this to you;). Now she can try both, and then she knows out of her own experience which one is best, in this moment, for her.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I just thought, how about doing the mantra of choice while doing a walking meditation. Do you live near a lovely (and safe) park where you could do this without getting disturbed?

Walking Meditation (Greater Good in Action)
Frankly, the above is a overly-complicated variation, simply modify it to your own comfort level.

Another variation is also in a park (or back yard) setting where you simply do a listening meditation and try to catch the sounds in an ever expanding radius outwards from your position. When a thought arises, just gently go back to listening intently. You are effectively replacing the mantra with the sounds all around you. It's quite stimulating and also relaxing.

The basic idea is to do something you are comfortable with, to get your feet wet, before you try to swim a 100 metre race.

Last edited: