• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listening/chanting/writing mantras. In need of opinion.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
First of all, I'm not Hindu. If you want to know more about my beliefs and who I am read my introductory post here: Hello Everyone! My dad and I and how all started.
When my father died I started practicing meditation to help me cope with grief. I remember it helped a lot at that time. In 2015 I was diagnosed with asthma and in July 2016 I almost die from pneumonia. I was hospitalized a month and a half and my Dr. did everything at his reach to save my life. But it seems asthma many times comes together with anxiety issues, so I am unable to meditate anymore. I used to be a bookworm as well and now I cannot focus enough to finish a book.
So I came across online this Hindu guy who is trying to help me with my mother's depression (which makes me more anxious) and my health related anxiety. He mentioned the mantra Om Namah Shivaya and that I should chant it 108 times.

Of course I did my own research on mantras and found out a lot of interesting stuff, to wit: That it was very relaxing and miraculously beneficial to write them as well. Source: How to Practice Likhita Japa (Mantra Writing) And Dissolve Stress Instantly
I never do what I'm told without some research of my own.

I would like to know your input on the subject, for instance: Why repetitions are often 11, 21, 51, or 108? Is it the same chanting them inwardly than listening or chanting out loud? What are your thoughts on writing the mantra instead?

All respectful opinions are welcome!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I doubt this is what you want to hear, but the manta(s) are merely a redirection of your focus, taking your mind away from fixating on given problem areas. It isn't the mantra itself that is beneficial, but rather, the redirecting of your energy away from the area of fixation. It's the same as going outside and doing some work for a few hours because you have to redirect your focus to finish a given task.

Last edited:

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
Understood. In any case, redirecting my energy/focus will be helpful as well. Thanks for your input!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
First of all, I'm not Hindu. If you want to know more about my beliefs and who I am read my introductory post here: Hello Everyone! My dad and I and how all started.
When my father died I started practicing meditation to help me cope with grief. I remember it helped a lot at that time. In 2015 I was diagnosed with asthma and in July 2016 I almost die from pneumonia. I was hospitalized a month and a half and my Dr. did everything at his reach to save my life. But it seems asthma many times comes together with anxiety issues, so I am unable to meditate anymore. I used to be a bookworm as well and now I cannot focus enough to finish a book.
So I came across online this Hindu guy who is trying to help me with my mother's depression (which makes me more anxious) and my health related anxiety. He mentioned the mantra Om Namah Shivaya and that I should chant it 108 times.

Of course I did my own research on mantras and found out a lot of interesting stuff, to wit: That it was very relaxing and miraculously beneficial to write them as well. Source: How to Practice Likhita Japa (Mantra Writing) And Dissolve Stress Instantly

I would like to know your input on the subject, for instance: Why repetitions are often 11, 21, 51, or 108? Is it the same chanting them inwardly than listening or chanting out loud? What are your thoughts on writing the mantra instead?

meditation can be accomplished by walking a maze, listening to music, to dancing, there is no fixed form. the only thing i can really emphasize is the movement of the mind from evolving to involving.

i started mine with an album that last approximately 35+ minutes. walking, hiking, can put one into an introspective state, gardening, anything that will allow you to disconnect from everyone and anything apart from self.

don't forget about self. love doesn't exclude self.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Understood. In any case, redirecting my energy/focus will be helpful as well. Thanks for your input!
Thanks. I do have considerable experience with mantra's and meditation and agree that they could provide relief but, as stated, one could also expand this to many different areas of activity as well that could also be quite beneficial. :)

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
Thanks. I do have considerable experience with mantra's and meditation and agree that they could provide relief but, as stated, one could also expand this to many different areas of activity as well that could also be quite beneficial. :)

As having experience with mantras, could you answer some of the qestions I posted. I have tried many things, believe me, without success. I was just thinking this is sth I could do...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

That (Namasivaya) is THE mantra of Saivism. In many stricter sampradayas (like mine) it is the only mantra used for japa, and anyone initiated is obliged to use it. For us the repetition number is 108. I personally use a mala but you can count on fingers as well. Once a day, for the initiated is mandatory, but make-up can be done if a day is missed. It is good to have had instruction as then the sound is more likely to be accurate, but more importantly the timing. Usually the correct timing would be the 108 to take around 7 or 8 minutes. Some people do 'speed japa' but I would consider that far less effective, if effective at all.

We also write it out once a year at Guru Purnima time as part of our annual rededication procedure.
Not sure if that helps.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As having experience with mantras, could you answer some of the qestions I posted. I have tried many things, believe me, without success. I was just thinking this is sth I could do...
The manta is a repetitious act that provides focus, sort of like an inner surfboard, complete with tumbles back into ordinary thought, getting back up on the board and sailing further along. Some will tell you that they are imbued with a spiritual aspect, a blessing of sorts and depending on your beliefs systems they could trigger deeper responses from the psyche.

I've never been anal enough to count the number of iterations, though that too could be relaxing if done with something like puja/jappa beads. In other words, you are not really counting, you are simply moving to the next bead after the completion of the mantra. The beads are often used in conjunction with the idea that the mantra itself confers a blessing.

I've never encountered the writing aspect of this, but can see how, for some, it might be helpful.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
meditation can be accomplished by walking a maze, listening to music, to dancing, there is no fixed form. the only thing i can really emphasize is the movement of the mind from evolving to involving.

i started mine with an album that last approximately 35+ minutes. walking, hiking, can put one into an introspective state, gardening, anything that will allow you to disconnect from everyone and anything apart from self.

don't forget about self. love doesn't exclude self.

Thank you!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I never do what I'm told without some research of my own
Is it the same chanting them inwardly than listening or chanting out loud? What are your thoughts on writing the mantra instead?

I never do what I am told without some research on my own. Very good.

Same here. People told me "Om Namah Shivaya" is very powerful. I liked this whole Shiva thing. So when I was in India in an ashram, I said to Shiva "Oke, bring it on: I will do it 21min". I never did this mantra again. Reason, after about 20min there stood a Cobra in front of my face. And I do have a kind of anxiety problem, when it comes to cobras face to face [Lucky for me there was like 1m distance, but still .... heart was racing crazy]

I do other mantras. And it works for me. But don't believe me. I always test it for myself. That I call science. Most times I test 3 times, with exception of above mentioned Shiva mantra. Mantra's have done wonderful miracles to me. Before Atheists start humming, for me "breathing" is also a mantra, called Sohum. So don't tell me you don't do/like mantra, or that mantra is not needed. Easy to proof;)

For some people mantras is everything, for others it's not. I like to test things out, jump into it kind of blind, and feel if it's for me. Lateron I might read.
[Not with everything of course. Marriage I would rething twice, but as regards to spirituality I have no doubts or fear]

As to your question: My master told me that aloud chanting = 1x, Silent wisper = 10x, Mental repetition = 100x stronger.

I read your story you wrote about yourself. So many interests, for sure not boring.

Enjoy your journey, whichever you choose is the best for you IMHO.

Last edited:

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
I never do what I am told without some research on my own. Very good.

Same here. People told me "Om Namah Shivaya" is very powerful. I liked this whole Shiva thing. So when I was in India in an ashram, I said to Shiva "Oke, bring it on: I will do it 21min". I never did this mantra again. Reason, after about 20min there stood a Cobra in front of my face. And I do have a kind of anxiety problem, when it comes to cobras face to face [Lucky for me there was like 1m distance, but still .... heart was racing crazy]

I do other mantras. And it works for me. But don't believe me. I always test it for myself. That I call science. Most times I test 3 times, with exception of above mentioned Shiva mantra. Mantra's have done wonderful miracles to me. Before Atheists start humming, for me "breathing" is also a mantra, called Sohum. So don't tell me you don't do/like mantra, or that mantra is not needed. Easy to proof;)

For some people mantras is everything, for others it's not. I like to test things out, jump into it kind of blind, and feel if it's for me. Lateron I might read.
[Not with everything of course. Marriage I would rething twice, but as regards to spirituality I have no doubts or fear]

As to your question: My master told me that aloud chanting = 1x, Silent wisper = 10x, Mental repetition = 100x stronger.

I read your story you wrote about yourself. So many interest, for sure not boring.

Enjoy your journey, whichever you choose is the best for you IMHO.

Thanks for your story and input, very insightful. Glad that I didn't bore you to death lol
I will test mantras myself, you're right.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
You know "SoHum" mantra = Breath. Kind of needed.
When I don't see your lovely POSTs anymore I know you stopped doing mantra;)
I suffer from asthma so breathing becomes very hard at times. But I think you'll see my posts for a while still :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I suffer from asthma so breathing becomes very hard at times. But I think you'll see my posts for a while still :)
You have me curious. When you say hard breathing, do you mean you have to quicken the pace, (huffing and puffing) or do you mean that you have to work harder to get anything.

There are many pranayama (breathing exercises one can do) methods in Hinduism. The most basic is a simple 9 counts in, 9 counts out rhythmic breathing. It's a preparation for meditation, and I'd term it relaxation. It can, if done correctly, reduce both heart rate and blood pressure. (As a personal testimony, I once was in for a dental procedure, and they woouldn't do it because of my high blood pressure. Knowing this, I asked for a half hour wait period, did the pranayama, and reduced the blood pressure enough for them to go ahead. Saved me coming back a week later.)

So that, in my view, would be better for relaxation/anxiety than a mantra.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
So that, in my view, would be better for relaxation/anxiety than a mantra

I agree, they call it Sohum mantra. Conscious Breath.
[I have sometimes intestinal cramps when walking; within 3 or 5 breath sometimes pain gets less]
[I do very simple: IN, OUT; both slow and deep; maybe 4 times per minute speed]
[Normal breath speed is about 15/min; just trial and error which works your miracle]
[SoHum meaning = God, I am = That, I am = Consciousness, I am]

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You know "SoHum" mantra = Breath. Kind of needed.
When I don't see your lovely POSTs anymore I know you stopped doing mantra;)
I actually no longer need a mantra, as after 40+ years, I just go into "the zone". :) I still use one, like with the surf board metaphor, but my focus is good enough to sustain given states without it. You just learn tricks along the way.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I actually no longer need a mantra, as after 40+ years, I just go into "the zone". :) I still use one, like with the surf board metaphor, but my focus is good enough to sustain given states without it. You just learn tricks along the way.

These days, the pranayama I do only needs about a 3 time repetition before it 'sticks'. So it's close to automatic.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You have me curious. When you say hard breathing, do you mean you have to quicken the pace, (huffing and puffing) or do you mean that you have to work harder to get anything.

There are many pranayama (breathing exercises one can do) methods in Hinduism. The most basic is a simple 9 counts in, 9 counts out rhythmic breathing. It's a preparation for meditation, and I'd term it relaxation. It can, if done correctly, reduce both heart rate and blood pressure. (As a personal testimony, I once was in for a dental procedure, and they woouldn't do it because of my high blood pressure. Knowing this, I asked for a half hour wait period, did the pranayama, and reduced the blood pressure enough for them to go ahead. Saved me coming back a week later.)

So that, in my view, would be better for relaxation/anxiety than a mantra.
Very good advice. Very good.