• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Link between Fossil Fuels, Climate Change, and Noahs Flood

AdamjEdgar

Note my plan with this question isnt a loaded gun …im not exactly trying to play YEC games. I was reading about a seemingly unrelated topic this morning (fossil fuels and climate change) and this thought popped into my head. So i wish to make it clear, my aim in this topic isnt to generate a YEC vs TEism debate, however, i do recognise its going to be difficult for it to not descend into that arena.

I find it interesting that Moses wrote in Genesis 6:

5Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great upon the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was altogether evil all the time. 6And the LORD regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7So the LORD said, “I will blot out man, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—every man and beast and crawling creature and bird of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.”
11Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and full of violence. 12And God looked upon the earth and saw that it was corrupt; for all living creaturesb on the earth had corrupted their ways.
Moses writes that God destroyed that which he had made in Genesis 7:

and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living thing I have made.”
Now we know that basically God was greived with all of the corruption of mankind at the time and he sort to destroy it.

Moving forward to our modern times, i notice that in the media, a lot is said about Fossil fuels (oil in particular) being somewhat a catalyst for Wars, and indeed climate change is being accelerated by the impact of fossil fuel usage. Countries around the world are changing their automotive compliance policies for example such that car manufacturers must reduce carbon footprint of the vehicles they build.
We are in Australia at least, on this pathway of clean renewable energy sources…particularly, hydro, wind, and solar.

When considering the negative impact fossil fuels seem to have globally both socially (due to war and impacts on health) and environmentally (climate change), i wonder, are we digging up the “sins of the past” in mining for fossil fuels? Is climate change acceleration due to the use of fossil fuels the result of us meddling in a curse?

food for thought.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Note my plan with this question isnt a loaded gun …im not exactly trying to play YEC games. I was reading about a seemingly unrelated topic this morning (fossil fuels and climate change) and this thought popped into my head. So i wish to make it clear, my aim in this topic isnt to generate a YEC vs TEism debate, however, i do recognise its going to be difficult for it to not descend into that arena.

Now we know that basically God was greived with all of the corruption of mankind at the time and he sort to destroy it.

Moving forward to our modern times, i notice that in the media, a lot is said about Fossil fuels (oil in particular) being somewhat a catalyst for Wars, and indeed climate change is being accelerated by the impact of fossil fuel usage. Countries around the world are changing their automotive compliance policies for example such that car manufacturers must reduce carbon footprint of the vehicles they build.
We are in Australia at least, on this pathway of clean renewable energy sources…particularly, hydro, wind, and solar.

When considering the negative impact fossil fuels seem to have globally both socially (due to war and impacts on health) and environmentally (climate change), i wonder, are we digging up the “sins of the past” in mining for fossil fuels? Is climate change acceleration due to the use of fossil fuels the result of us meddling in a curse?

food for thought.

Oil is mostly ancient sea life that lived in a period millions and millions of years before humans existed.
Coal is even older and comes from plant life and trees.

So, no.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The Flood is a story from Sumerian Mesopotamia. (Read Andrew George's translation of The Epic of Gilgamesh both because it will make that point clear to you and because it's a very impressive read.) The bible version is a retelling. It's doubtful whether there was an historical Moses and it's very doubtful there was an historical Exodus, and it's even more doubtful whether the Pentateuch was written by a single author, let alone one named Moses (Egyptian for "son").

(Gilgamesh likewise doesn't address the question of the missing universal flood layer, the missing genetic bottlenecks in all land animals and the missing billion cubic miles or so of water.)
So the story goes, but we're not told what the corruption was, nor why God decided to wipe everyone out when [he] [him]self was the author of everything, ie including everything that went wrong, whatever it was.

When considering the negative impact fossil fuels seem to have globally both socially (due to war and impacts on health) and environmentally (climate change), i wonder, are we digging up the “sins of the past” in mining for fossil fuels?
Our "sins" are the usual ones of greed and disliking inconvenience. We've known since the early 20th century that global warming was going to be a problem in a world fueled by coal and oil; and people have been trying to get government action since at least the mid 1970s, when I can recall articles in TIME magazine on the matter.

It's also true that in the US the fundamentalist churches have been all for coal and oil out loud and proud for the whole of this century. (They appear to think Trump is a good idea too, another insight into their ethics and powers of discrimination.)

exchemist

Veteran Member

food for thought.
A poetic idea, certainly, but actually I think we need to keep our heads and remember, first, the huge advances in our lives that the use of fossil fuels have enabled over the last 150yrs, and second, that nobody reasonable is suggesting climate change threatens the extinction of humanity. Though it does threaten huge and unpleasant changes that can impoverish us and cause a great of loss of life, both human and in the natural world.

It seems to me that, like so many things, fossil fuels have proved to be a double-edged sword. Humanity goes through successive phases, making new discoveries and exploiting them, then finding there are snags with them and moving on to something else.