• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Scientifically have stated that humans too are energy and that energy is neither created nor destroyed and only changes form and humans have evolved through rebirths from one form to another.
This is why I think the Gaia theory might have some merit to it.

Ozzie

Your view on what happens after death has a major impact on your worldview. Many people who say there is no resurrection go through life trying to enjoy every minute as much as possible, to live life to the full. Why?! Why try to forcefully enjoy every moment even though many moments are very unenjoyable? Why? Also, why build up material wealth, when you're going to lose it in death? Why not instead love each other and help others? Do you not agree that this would make you and others feel more satisfied and happy than sitting on a couch and enjoying yourself all day? Work makes you feel satisfied. Self-enjoyment makes you feel hollow and empty.

Also, this thread will be about whether or not you believe in an afterlife or any kind of phenomena associated with it for example Out of Body Experiences and Near Death Experiences and why. I believe because I have read and heard people's personal experiences and they are really amazing, and unexplainable. "The Holographic Universe" offers some great examples.
The afterlife does not have any impact on my worldview as I do not have any evidence for afterlife. Also I suspect my "worldview" is extremely myopic, as it is for most.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Many people who say there is no resurrection go through life trying to enjoy every minute as much as possible, to live life to the full. Why?! Why try to forcefully enjoy every moment even though many moments are very unenjoyable?
First, I dont see why a lack of belief in the fantastic should result in your description of how a person is living their life. what makes you think that all the people who do not believe in resurrection try to enjoy every minute of their lives? how are they less human from people who choose to believe a fantastic event as the resurrection? why wouldnt they have sad moments in their life for example? why wouldnt they simply try to build a healthy life for themselves, without a neverending pursuit of physical enjoyment?
Why? Also, why build up material wealth, when you're going to lose it in death?
but you are going to have it in life, this will enable you to construct your life better.

Why not instead love each other and help others? Do you not agree that this would make you and others feel more satisfied and happy than sitting on a couch and enjoying yourself all day? Work makes you feel satisfied. Self-enjoyment makes you feel hollow and empty.
Your contradicting yourself, you ask why should people build up material wealth, and then say that they slack around all day? also how does a belief or non belief in a resurrection effects the way a person choses to treat others?

danny vee

what makes you think that all the people who do not believe in resurrection try to enjoy every minute of their lives?

but you are going to have it in life, this will enable you to construct your life better.

Your contradicting yourself, you ask why should people build up material wealth, and then say that they slack around all day? also how does a belief or non belief in a resurrection effects the way a person choses to treat others?

I never said all the people. I said many. Also, please explain how material wealth enables a person to better construct their life than someone without it. And how am I contradicting myself? Are you saying that the only way to not slack around is to build up material wealth? Perhaps I've only misunderstood you and do explain yourself if I have.

Belief in resurrection drastically affects hw a person treats others. If someone believes they will be rewarded for being good to others then they will be good to others. If someone doesn't believe they'll be punished or rewarded, they won't care about others as much as themselves. For example, people who have had sudden conversions, have gone from alcohol, drugs, and a terrible lifestyle, to soberness (is that a word?), love and caring for others. Because they have been informed of Heaven and a possible reward of the future.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I never said all the people. I said many. Also, please explain how material wealth enables a person to better construct their life than someone without it.
Think of the limitations of poverty for a broader image.
And how am I contradicting myself? Are you saying that the only way to not slack around is to build up material wealth? Perhaps I've only misunderstood you and do explain yourself if I have.
people who work hard and build up wealth obviously do not slack around.

Belief in resurrection drastically affects hw a person treats others. If someone believes they will be rewarded for being good to others then they will be good to others. If someone doesn't believe they'll be punished or rewarded, they won't care about others as much as themselves.
So it is only the selfish interest of getting the reward that makes people treat others with respect? that takes the whole purpose and meaning out of it. I treat other people with respect because they are fellow human beings, it has nothing to do with reward, the reward is being treated with the same respect.
For example, people who have had sudden conversions, have gone from alcohol, drugs, and a terrible lifestyle, to soberness (is that a word?), love and caring for others. Because they have been informed of Heaven and a possible reward of the future.
Many people have chose to struggle with their addiction for the sole purpose of having their lives back, and not because of a promise of heaven.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Shadow Wolf,

This is why I think the Gaia theory might have some merit to it.

All theories have merit.

Mind that thinks up theories are all based on some facts/hypothesis and so it will have some merit for sure.

Love & rgds