• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life...

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life? Do you think it is unattainable? Is there even a meaning to life?
Life adapts (changes) and thereby remains but scientifically speaking, that is an effect/ a consequence; not a “purpose”/ “meaning”.

From a scientific standpoint, there is no “meaning” to life other than the ones we ourselves choose to give it.

Humbly,
Hermit

F1fan

Veteran Member
"Reproduction"

As a species sure. But...

Does that mean the life of people without kids has no meaning?
It's funny you ask this. My mom died a few years ago and I have been going through her stuff. She has things from her life, like high school projects, yearbooks, etc. She has a lot of stuff from my grandmother, like her high school diploma. And I have furniture from my great grandmother and grandmother. And then all my mom's artwork.

Well it has kinda made me feel mortality. I don't have kids and I'm wondering what happens to all my crap when I die. Who get's all the family photos and carries on memories? I have cousins that have kids and I am going to make sure they get all the family stuff and pass the photos on.

Oddly I've had a life of pursuing my goals and having adventures, and children wasn't a priority. And I have a sizable trust fund that I'm not going to spend before I die, so I have to think about what happens to that.

I guess I could marry a gold digger who has kids, but little more than ungrateful brats who will squander the money ...

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Do you believe science will ever find the meaning to life? Do you think it is unattainable? Is there even a meaning to life?

Monte Python said it best.

“If life seems jolly rotten, there’s something you’ve forgotten, and that’s to laugh and smile and dance and sing.”

Monty Python Life of Brian Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life​

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's funny you ask this. My mom died a few years ago and I have been going through her stuff. She has things from her life, like high school projects, yearbooks, etc. She has a lot of stuff from my grandmother, like her high school diploma. And I have furniture from my great grandmother and grandmother. And then all my mom's artwork.

Well it has kinda made me feel mortality. I don't have kids and I'm wondering what happens to all my crap when I die. Who get's all the family photos and carries on memories? I have cousins that have kids and I am going to make sure they get all the family stuff and pass the photos on.

Oddly I've had a life of pursuing my goals and having adventures, and children wasn't a priority. And I have a sizable trust fund that I'm not going to spend before I die, so I have to think about what happens to that.

I guess I could marry a gold digger who has kids, but little more than ungrateful brats who will squander the money ...
Sorry about your mom. I started downsizing and giving my friends pictures of themselves. I put family pictures up on Ancestry. My son probably won't care about any of our stuff, so I am trying to find good homes for the important stuff.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Is there even a meaning to life?

To even be capable of asking the question already conveys the obvious answer.

Meaning is derived from asking questions and telling stories about the answers. Humans are fundamentally a storytelling and myth making animal. They cannot not do this. For humans, there can't not be meaning and story.
I like this.

We (people in general) don't often seem to make much of the fact that stories allow us to do so much. Law, nationality, marriage, community, science, money etc etc are all clever stories (or partly clever stories) that we use to create the mental spaces that allow us to do so much.