• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being uncivil when confronted by the hateful or opportunistic is not something one should be ashamed of.
No tolerance for the intolerant.
It sounds like a winning formula for the illiberal liberal...
Just deem someone intolerant, & then it's open season.

I'm reminded of a better way....
Black Man Gets KKK Members To Disavow By Befriending Them | HuffPost
So there's a choice.....
1) Change the intolerant with friendship.
2) Don't change'm, but have fun giving'm verbal wedgies.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I notice Zakaria, along with some of the posters in this thread, seem to conflate simple protests of liberals against speakers with other protests of regressive leftists meant to silence speakers. When graduates walk out on Mike Pence at Notre Dame, their actions do not threaten Pence's right to free speech, as Zakaria and others seem to imply.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Alas! If only Stalin's victims had thought to make friends with him! Then there would have been no gulags.

Speak for yourself. You are certainly projecting when you describe Sartre as hating anyone.
Who's projecting now? Whoever Sartre is, I've certainly never mentioned him or addressed anything towards him personally, although if I had, I'm sure it would be true.
I answer posts, declining to rape, murder and pillage, unlike many others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes because trying to have reasonable conversations with the prejudicial and extreme always works out well.
It worked for the guy in the article.
But people will be who they are.
Some pursue friendly diplomacy.
And others would emulate Mr Trump.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Who's projecting now? Whoever Sartre is, I've certainly never mentioned him or addressed anything towards him personally, although if I had, I'm sure it would be true.
I answer posts, declining to rape, murder and pillage, unlike many others.

Quit being disingenuous. Your post quoted his and was a clear response to it. Now you pretend you don't even know who he is. What kind of fools do you think the members of this board are?

Quit being disingenuous. Your post quoted his and was a clear response to it. Now you pretend you don't even know who he is. What kind of fools do you think the members of this board are?
I have no idea. I've never encountered fools of such magnitude before.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Did you know that only a few years back, conservatism was considered the standard of normal by which normal was measured?
By 'only a few years back', I refer to an era when things worked, countries and their citizens knew who they were, and people were polite to each other.
Now it's a case of conservative = skinhead nazi fascist pig.
Interesting development, eh? I fear it does not bode well.
You should indeed consider how and why that came to be.

It was not without due reason, and it is not because conservatism got a raw deal.

You should indeed consider how and why that came to be.

It was not without due reason, and it is not because conservatism got a raw deal.

The reason is that conservatives try to accommodate what look like their own people, not realizing that what they try to coexist with is a venomous beast that will devour everything in its path until every trace of life is exterminated. The left only had the success it's had because those who ran things gave it to them.
But soon, survival mode will reestablish itself. It's not gonna be pretty.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would go a step farther and say that "regressive leftists" are removing a platform for speech, not their right to free speech. There is a distinction between the two.

I am opposed to regressive leftism more on the asinine grounds whereby they justify their infantile behavior than on anything else.

EDIT: See Nick Cohen for an excellent treatment of the rationale of the regressive left.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Being intolerant of those who are being intolerant towards those that are being tolerant to to the tolerant is not inconsistent.

That's too much of a mouthful though. :D
Thinking of conflict on a larger scale, I offer Suzanne Massie.
(She also came up recently in a thread evaluating Reagan's presidency.)
Remember back when Reagan was the tough talking anti-commie ready to do battle with the Russkies?
She humanized them in his eyes, opening the door for movement towards peace.
Ref....
Suzanne Massie - Wikipedia
I suppose we could've just gone to war instead.
But peace is cheaper.

Thanks for making that line between intelligent conservatives like yourself and Nazis nice and clear
Are you without a brain as well as without a Soul? Is context a completely alien thing to you?
"Sometimes Neo-Nazis are the sanest people in the room."
If Neo-Nazis are the ONLY people in the room, as they were in the OP, then regardless of how sane or insane they may have been, they were the sanest people in the room.
Nowhere does my post claim they were either sane or insane.
But I waste my energy, as always.
The haters gonna hate, while accusing non-haters of hating.
That's humans for you.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I notice Zakaria, along with some of the posters in this thread, seem to conflate simple protests of liberals against speakers with other protests of regressive leftists meant to silence speakers. When graduates walk out on Mike Pence at Notre Dame, their actions do not threaten Pence's right to free speech, as Zakaria and others seem to imply.

I would agree that they're not threatening anyone's right to free speech, but what good does it do to walk away? I don't think different sides have to become friends, but it's counterproductive for them to view each other as intractable enemies either. If we can't talk to each other or open a dialogue between disparate factions, then it can only get worse.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It sounds like a winning formula for the illiberal liberal...
Just deem someone intolerant, & then it's open season.

I'm reminded of a better way....
Black Man Gets KKK Members To Disavow By Befriending Them | HuffPost
So there's a choice.....
1) Change the intolerant with friendship.
2) Don't change'm, but have fun giving'm verbal wedgies.

Idealism only works out well so often. Whether we like it or not, human nature is not ideal, so befriending bigots and morally bankrupt people is not always the wisest decision.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The reason is that conservatives try to accommodate what look like their own people, not realizing that what they try to coexist with is a venomous beast that will devour everything in its path until every trace of life is exterminated. The left only had the success it's had because those who ran things gave it to them.
But soon, survival mode will reestablish itself. It's not gonna be pretty.
Come back when you want to discuss reality as opposed to unfettered fantasy, will you?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Idealism only works out well so often. Whether we like it or not, human nature is not ideal, so befriending bigots and morally bankrupt people is not always the wisest decision.
OK then.....
Do you think it's ever a good idea?
What do you think is the best default approach to changing the minds of backsliders & reprobates?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I think his points only apply to a subset of liberals and that he's generalizing too much. On the whole, it seems to me that liberals are pretty tolerant, although there are areas in which the left could certainly improve, such as blunt criticism of certain religions.

A thought experiment that, in my mind, illustrates the tolerance of liberals in general is to imagine a world governed by liberals as opposed to one governed by any other ideological group. Since I know which one I'd want to live in, I don't think the answer to Fareed Zakaria's statements is ambiguous.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would agree that they're not threatening anyone's right to free speech, but what good does it do to walk away? I don't think different sides have to become friends, but it's counterproductive for them to view each other as intractable enemies either. If we can't talk to each other or open a dialogue between disparate factions, then it can only get worse.

I used to believe in open dialog myself. That was back when conservatives were generally rational people. Things have changed in my sixty years. You cannot reason with an unreasonable person.