• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Naturalism

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
So the analogy does not work ....the machine and organisms must be animated by flowing electricity....if internally supplied...they would shut down as soon as the internal limited electric supply ran out...

That's the point. Basic biology tells us that organisms do generate their own energy supply, and if they can't they will die.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That's the point. Basic biology tells us that organisms do generate their own energy supply, and if they can't they will die.
So where does this energy come from...I mean the energy generated has to come from a source and the organism/appliance has finite resources?

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

So where does this energy come from...I mean the energy generated has to come from a source and the organism/appliance has a finite resources?

Plants use photosynthesis, animals use food. Plants will die if shut off from the light, animals will die if they can't find food.

So in terms of the electricity analogy, it's clear that organisms generate their own power supply and don't need to be plugged in to some central power source.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Plants use photosynthesis, animals use food.
Well in the case of the plant...the electricity for the appliance comes directly from the main power station...the Sun.... Concerning animals getting their energy recharge from that stored in the food....where does the food get the energy it has stored from?

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Well in the case of the plant...the electricity for the appliance comes directly from the main power station...the Sun.... Concerning animals getting their energy recharge from that stored in the food....where does the food get the energy it has stored from?

I think you could say that the sun is the source of energy for biological life. But I think the question here is whether consciousness is an emergent property of biological life or an independent element, and whether there is a soul or spirit or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick O'Shez

But from my study of the afterlife and paranormal evidence that is not IMO what seems to happen to consciousness; but just the physical organism. The car and driver are not inseparably linked.
We each represent what I believe are the two different major schools of thought.

I'm really just exploring ideas. As I remarked earlier in the thread I find relentless rationalism rather limiting, and I like to allow for possibilities. But on the other hand I value truth over comfort, so I'm wary of beliefs which look like wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm really just exploring ideas. As I remarked earlier in the thread I find relentless rationalism rather limiting, and I like to allow for possibilities.
I actually believe I reached my views through rationalism. No leaps of faith involved. I go with the theory that best holds against all the evidence and argumentation. I can't claim scientific proof but I will argue for the 'most reasonable' position given the evidence and argumentation.
But on the other hand I value truth over comfort,
I do also value truth over comfort and must watch for any bias in my deliberations. If I felt the materialist view was the most reasonable I would adopt the view. But I believe I heard many times over enough evidence against the materialist view of consciousness.
so I'm wary of beliefs which look like wishful thinking.
You should be wary, but not to the extent that you will not see a 'positive' scenario as something you can accept as best explaining the evidence and argumentation. That attitude of strong wariness against positive views can be a bias to watch out for too.