• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liber Al vel Legis (The Book of the Law)

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I am not Thelemic and in fact does not know much of the religion. I do, however, love to read and due to my love for religions I love to read and learn from different Holy Scriptures. I've had the opportunity to scroll through some pages of The Book of the Law at a bookshop and consider buying it, but I saw that if I do I will have to search the net a lot for meanings and so forth... I don't want to insult so please forgive me if I do, but will it be worth it?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
It can be. The book of the law has a lot of Golden Dawn symbolism that requires research because Crowley severely colored and tweaked it for his own glorification. However, I also think that reading holy books but not actually being willing to investigate them is counterproductive. There's so much out there on AL that the study of them will tell you way more than the three chapters themselves.

That said, it'll take you maybe 15 minutes to read. Why not?

Octavia156

OTO/EGC

Thelemites spend their lives searching for the meaning of Liber AL :p.... its part of the process!

I also recommend Liber LXV as possibly the best piece of the Thelemic scriptures.

93s

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I am not Thelemic and in fact does not know much of the religion. I do, however, love to read and due to my love for religions I love to read and learn from different Holy Scriptures. I've had the opportunity to scroll through some pages of The Book of the Law at a bookshop and consider buying it, but I saw that if I do I will have to search the net a lot for meanings and so forth... I don't want to insult so please forgive me if I do, but will it be worth it?

If you can get your hands on a copy then try reading "The Law is for All"
It contains both Liber AL vel Legis along with detailed commentary.

But remember - the meaning of the book is yours, unlike all other holy books, its purpose is not to be interpreted by anyone other than yourself.
Everytime I read it (which is often) I draw new meaning from it :)

Its worth reading aloud

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
It's been over two years since the OP, I wonder how they've gotten on!

Liber Legis is such a beautiful book (sacred text), I love it dearly. It definitely changed my life when I first read it and still holds great daily importance in several ways. (not being my only sacred text of personal significance however)

The Vision And The Voice, Liber Cordis Cincti Serpente (both also included in the 'holy books' classification, though not being dictated like Legis) and The Book Of Lies (which is also very humorous), are also very important books to get through if you are serious about Thelema.

There are many good commentaries on Liber Legis too if you are interested :blush: