• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[LHP] The Western Left Hand

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Yes, but words mean things. Lets take a term, lets say, broccoli. Broccoli has certain property that make it what it is. its green, its a certain shape, a certain taste, and of a certain genus of plant species. Along comes Etu malku with a tub of icecream, insisting it is in fact 'western' broccoli. I guess it's just 'my worldview' that the sickly sweet desert is not in fact a vegetable of any sort, much less a specific sort, but I for one am not such a liberal bowl of intellectual jello to let such a ridiculous claim go unchallenged.
Perhaps you would like to present some examples of Western Left Hand Path Orders that do not fit the OP? Surely the OP couldn't make up the philosophy of all of the Western Left Hand Path orders that are existing?

crossfire

Premium Member
The Sect of the Horned God: Main points: Individualism, self-transformation and deification through ones own efforts. Main pillars: Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, Psychology of Carl Jung, Mythology of Joseph Campbell, Occultism of Anton LeVey.
snippet:

The Sect of the Horned God is an incorporated entity whose primary objective encompasses the work of four philosophers in its relation to the left-hand path: Friedrich Nietzsche (Philosophy), Carl Gustav Jung (Psychology), Joseph Campbell (Mythology) and Anton LaVey (Occultism).

Our purpose is to awaken people and get them to live (in the words of the late, great Anton LaVey) a “vital existence”. But to live that vital existence might encompass a journey which may entail going deep into the dark halls of one’s psyche and face the reality of deconstructing the mind. That said, areas of study offered in the Sect are not one of absolutes or dogma, but rather that of gaining a deeper awareness of oneself and the path you are on, while emphasizing a passion for living.
-source-
Main page of The Sect of the Horned God

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The Order of the Trapezoid is a chivalric order of knighthood dedicated to the Prince of Darkness and protection of the Black Flame.

http://www.trapezoid.org/

full

"This insignificant stone is indeed of trifling value; it is despised by fools, the more cherished by the wise."​

Last edited:

ThirtyThree

This definition allows separation from the Eastern traditions and aligns with the practices and philosophy behind several Western Occult organizations.

It is certainly the foundation of non-theistic Luciferianism and Mercuraenism if not Setian and many forms of Satanism.

Are you claiming the Western Left Hand Path is solely non theistic?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Oh...my...Infernal Hell! SSE, when are you going to finally understand that your opinions and understandings are your own, and may not necessarily reflect or be agreed upon by your individualist colleges on the LHP? What is your gripe? You always seem to come off as angry and frustrated when we don't all agree with your world view. Its time to man up dude and recognize that we are all on our own, some may agree and some may disagree, all we can do is present our philosophy to the masses and hope that they can distinguish from the reality of the real world -- non-fiction and fiction.
Thank you brother . . .

ThirtyThree

It has to be . . . otherwise it is simply another version of the RHP

You have to exclude all theistic and semi theistic orders which utilize the label "LHP" then, including The Temple of Set.

Question: Why do you believe theism is anti LHP?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
You have to exclude all theistic and semi theistic orders which utilize the label "LHP" then, including The Temple of Set.

Question: Why do you believe theism is anti LHP?
I don't see why Orders such as the ToS would be excluded?
Perhaps you don't understand their philosophy?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
... and most likely, you surely do. By all means, educate me. How is The Temple of Set not theistic?

**Disclaimer
I do not speak for or represent the Temple of Set in any way, shape, or form.
Only the Priesthood III° and higher can officially speak for the Temple.

Being an ex-member and one who stays in touch with the Temple regularly I would gladly educate you on this . . .
Set is symbolic of the Principle of Isolate Intelligence, a Platonic First Form.

"One of the most misleading simplicities often heard of the Temple of Set is that there is some test of faith required at a certain level of membership. This suggests some silly scenario of waking up one morning to say, “This is it. I believe in Set. Hallelujah!” and then contacting three Masters of the Temple to be Ordained to the Priesthood."
- Don Webb

"Set is Intelligence, defined, made finite and given shape, by the objective universe which it created to provide that shape and definition."
- Stephen Flowers

"The Universe as a whole is mechanically consistent, but it does not possess a “God” personality that favors one of its components — such as mankind — above others. The Set-entity, however, is finite intelligence within the Universe and can draw such distinctions. Set is a being operating in disregard of the order of the Universe, not in enforced concert with it"
- Michael Aquino

"Setian philosophy liberates the Prince of Darkness from those particular constraints by observing that intelligence is something apart and separate from the mechanical and organic laws of the Universe."
- Stephen Flowers

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
**Disclaimer
I do not speak for or represent the Temple of Set in any way, shape, or form.
Only the Priesthood III° and higher can officially speak for the Temple.

"The Universe as a whole is mechanically consistent, but it does not possess a “God” personality that favors one of its components — such as mankind — above others. The Set-entity, however, is finite intelligence within the Universe and can draw such distinctions. Set is a being operating in disregard of the order of the Universe, not in enforced concert with it"
- Michael Aquino

That disclaimer goes for me to.

I liked all those quotes, but especially the one from Dr. Aquino.

I will also add that the Temple of Set does not require any of its members to "believe" in the literal existence of Set. Primarily Set/the Prince of Darkness is held as a symbol of the Higher Self or a Platonic First Principle that is worked with and emulated in the Great Work of Life.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
From the link at this post upthread:
Here is the philosophy of The Temple of Set: This is a long page, so I will highlight the main points: Separating Man from the rest of Nature, Antinomianism, Individualism, Self Control, and Black Magic quoted as the following:
snippet quote:

BLACK MAGIC
Followers of the Left-Hand Path practice what, in a specific and technical sense, we term Black Magic. Black Magic focuses on self-determined goals. Its formula is "my will be done", as opposed to the White Magic of the Right-Hand Path, whose formula is "thy will be done".

Black Magic is shunned and feared because to do Black Magic is to take full responsibility for one's actions, evolution, and effectiveness.

Since magic enables you to influence or change events in ways neither understood nor anticipated by society, you must develop a sound and sophisticated appreciation for the ethics governing your own motives, decisions, and actions before you put it to use. To use magic for impulsive, trivial, or egoistic desires is not Setian. It must become second-nature to you to carefully pre-evaluate the consequences of what you wish to do, then choose the course of wisdom, justice, and creative improvement.​
-source-
The Temple of Set seems to regard gods as archetypes, not actual entities, according to the general information page.
About SET:

SET
The oldest known form of the Prince of Darkness, the archetype of isolate self-consciousness, is the Egyptian god Set, whose Priesthood can be traced to Predynastic times. Images of Set have been dated to ca. 3200 BCE, with astronomically-based estimates of inscriptions dating to 5000 BCE.

Set is a more complex figure than that of the Judeo-Christian Satan. Satan, the archetype of rebellion against cosmic order and stasis, may be the symbol for many people's initial commitment to initiation, but this symbol is too closely linked to conventional religions and their moral codes to be an effective representation of the richness, subtlety, and complexity of the Left-Hand Path.

In ancient Egypt Set went through periods of immense popularity alternating with total denunciation. Set in the Predynastic and Archaic periods was an essentially positive deity introduced from the east as a god of the extension of existence. As such he was god of expanding borders and radical changes of being—particularly birth, circumcision/initiation, death in battle, and rebirth through the Opening of the Mouth ceremony. As early as the Second Dynasty he appears in royal iconography, on the serekh of Peribsen ("Hope of All Hearts") and Khasekhemwy ("The Two Powers Appear"). (continued at link)​

crossfire

Premium Member
Any other suggestions for Western Left-Hand Path Orders for me (or anyone else) to investigate?

ThirtyThree

That disclaimer goes for me to.

I liked all those quotes, but especially the one from Dr. Aquino.

I will also add that the Temple of Set does not require any of its members to "believe" in the literal existence of Set. Primarily Set/the Prince of Darkness is held as a symbol of the Higher Self or a Platonic First Principle that is worked with and emulated in the Great Work of Life.
Does this mean, like the Church of Satan today, The Temple of Set is specifically non theistic?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Does this mean, like the Church of Satan today, The Temple of Set is specifically non theistic?

Todays Church of Satan frowns upon and scorns actual belief in a literal Satan. The Temple of Set's view is that it is up to the individual Setian whether or not they believe in the literal existence of Set. The ToS is not an atheistic organization in the sense that a lot of its members have become convinced, through empirical research and experience, that That which is the Prince of Darkness is a reality, hence, the ToS is both a philosophy and a religion.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Todays Church of Satan frowns upon and scorns actual belief in a literal Satan. The Temple of Set's view is that it is up to the individual Setian whether or not they believe in the literal existence of Set. The ToS is not an atheistic organization in the sense that a lot of its members have become convinced, through empirical research and experience, that That which is the Prince of Darkness is a reality, hence, the ToS is both a philosophy and a religion.
How about the idea of the Archetype of Set Remanifesting as part of Xeper and Remanifest? Does that sorta blurr the line between theism and non-theism? It would go into autotheism, no?

crossfire

Premium Member
How about the idea of the Archetype of Set Remanifesting as part of Xeper and Remanifest? Does that sorta blurr the line between theism and non-theism? It would go into autotheism, no?
Dang! That's getting pretty close to Bodhisattvas and Lucifers territory!

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

To me it doesn't blur any lines. Set was the first to become Aware of him-Self and to operate in disregard to the laws of the natural order, and to experience auto-theism, self-created godhood through the principles of Xeper and Remanifest. This is why we who call him the Prince of Darkness do him no dishonor as the word "Prince" comes from the Latin word "Princeps" which means First.