• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About the Holy Spirit

djhwoodwerks

The other huge thing for me was finding out that God had a name....a personal name that he revealed to man, not a name given to him by any human. (Exodus 3:14-15)

Why would you want to deceive Yoshua? You are trying to convey the idea that God's name is actually Jehovah and that name was not given to Him by "any human". That is false, and you know it.

Exodus 3:15 (ESV Strong's) 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘The Lord (YHVH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob

h3068. יְהוָֹה yhwh; from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; name of God: — the Lord. Compare 3050, 3069.

God "didn't" reveal the name of "Jehovah" to humans, humans didn't know how to pronounce YHVH so they tinkered with it and added vowels to make Jehovah so they had something to call God. Humans "did" give God the name He is known by today.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would you want to deceive Yoshua? You are trying to convey the idea that God's name is actually Jehovah and that name was not given to Him by "any human". That is false, and you know it.

Exodus 3:15 (ESV Strong's) 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘The Lord (YHVH), the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob

h3068. יְהוָֹה yhwh; from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; name of God: — the Lord. Compare 3050, 3069.

God "didn't" reveal the name of "Jehovah" to humans, humans didn't know how to pronounce YHVH so they tinkered with it and added vowels to make Jehovah so they had something to call God. Humans "did" give God the name He is known by today.
Young's Literal Translation
And God saith again unto Moses, 'Thus dost thou say unto the sons of Israel, Jehovah, God of your fathers, God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you; this is My name -- to the age, and this My memorial, to generation -- generation.

http://biblehub.com/text/exodus/3-15.htm

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There exists three points of view for every person. How they see themselves, how they are viewed by others and how God sees them.
The book of life is the third view imo. I thought it was obvious it is spiritual. Sometimes I wonder about some posters.

james2ko

There exists three points of view for every person. How they see themselves, how they are viewed by others and how God sees them. The book of life is the third view imo. I thought it was obvious it is spiritual. Sometimes I wonder about some posters.

I thought it was obvious the scroll John saw was not invisible. I sometimes wonder too :shrug:

james2ko

Do you dream? I do. What I see in my dreams is not invisible and neither is it literal. Do you dream in literal? You might see a doctor about that.

What I see in my dreams I literally see. They're just not real....So once again, did John see an invisible scroll?

james2ko

He saw a literal God holding a allegorical scroll. So what if he saw a literal scroll. What is important is what is written within. Could he see that?

A literal God holding an allegorical scroll.??? That's a new one...I always thought creativity was one of your strengths. :) I can see you are beginning to go off on a tangent. Let's try and focus on our point that there are literal heavenly books/scrolls that can last forever. What is to prevent God from recording the corrected scriptures in similar scrolls?

meghanwaterlillies

Hmmm. yes it did...care to elaborate? :)
I'm just saying He's number 1 that spirit belongs to Him.
it was in regards to this post..
Why didn't Jews ever think of the "Spirit" as an equal but separate part of a Godhead?
also nothing created nothing isn't what I believe, He mattered too.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A literal God holding an allegorical scroll.??? That's a new one...I always thought creativity was one of your strengths. :)
Thank you. God is always strictly meaningful ie literal.
I can see you are beginning to go off on a tangent.
sort-of..... Astute you are.
Let's try and focus on our point that there are literal heavenly books/scrolls that can last forever.
The words can last forever. Yes. Everything is in God forever. That is why we should be good, in my opinion.
What is to prevent God from recording the corrected scriptures in similar scrolls?
What does this mean? I think I know. What is preventing God from having the record recorded right? This is a stiff neck people, says The Lord. When God says something it has to be true.

djhwoodwerks

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

No one knows how to pronounce God's name in Hebrew, but we have the bare bones of it and we have translated it into English, retaining the meaning . The thing is, we don't see people fuss about the name "Jesus" because it isn't Hebrew. There are no "J" names in Hebrew but stacks of them in the Bible so it appears that most of the "J" names incorporate "Jehovah" as their base.
Are you lobbying for all the "J" names to be changed? Will you stop using all of them...including "Jesus"?

Your arguments are so shallow. Whose information are you relying on? If you want to trust them, that is up to you. I know who I trust. (Hebrews 13:17)

God can speak all languages, can he not? You really think he doesn't know his own name in any language?

"Hallowed be thy name" means nothing to you?

"(Je·hoʹvah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wahʹ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”].
The personal name of God. (Isaiah 42:8; 54:5) Though Scripturally designated by such descriptive titles as “God,” “Sovereign Lord,” “Creator,” “Father,” “the Almighty,” and “the Most High,” his personality and attributes—who and what he is—are fully summed up and expressed only in this personal name.—Psalm 83:18.(ASV, KJV)

Correct Pronunciation of the Divine Name. “Jehovah” is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although “Yahweh” is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te·tra-, meaning “four,” and gramʹma, “letter”). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH)."
(Insight Volume 2)

Do you, like most scholars, prefer "Yahweh" perhaps? Do you use it? Do they?

I think Jehovah is a fine way to pronounce the tetragrammaton in English....JeHoVaH. :)

Other languages pronounce it in various ways...are they all wrong too?

james2ko

Thank you. God is always strictly meaningful ie literal.

I hope you don't really believe that.

The words can last forever. Yes. Everything is in God forever. That is why we should be good, in my opinion.

Everything? Including His written word?

What does this mean? I think I know. What is preventing God from having the record recorded right? This is a stiff neck people, says The Lord. When God says something it has to be true.

I believe sometime after Messiah returns, the scriptures will be re-written on heavenly scrolls that will last forever (Isaiah 30:8), absent any human errors we may or may not be aware of.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I hope you don't really believe that.
I am sure we have a difference of opinion about the meaning of words, but, yes, I mean it. Not gods are strictly meaningful. GOD is strictly meaningful. If you mean it is not right to believe God is meaningful to everybody, I agree. God is always meaningful to me, and I believe, anyone else who is actually born again.

Everything? Including His written word?
You have to be kidding me. Yes, the written words of God are forever, but not on paper, on hearts. (I don't feel like trolling you presently.)

I believe sometime after Messiah returns, the scriptures will be re-written on heavenly scrolls that will last forever (Isaiah 30:8), absent any human errors we may or may not be aware of.
OK. I do not disagree. Are they paper scrolls, according to you? Maybe, hide? ( Animal hide) [No playful puzzle puns today - I'm not in the mood]

Oeste

You know, it strikes me as strange that I have a "prism" but you don't.
17.gif
Who says your "prism" is the correct one?

When on earth did I say I don’t have a “prism” Deeje? Can you quote me on that?

I merely told you that it was not God’s view you were giving me but the Watchtower’s…which you presented as God’s view.

I don’t present my view as God’s view, but you surely presented the Watchtower’s as if it were God’s. That might work for the naïve student who attends one of your “bible” studies, but it won’t pass “Go” on this forum.

Since your "prism" distorts your view IMO, just as our "prism" distorts our view IYO....what makes you think that turning away from the wickedness of the world is "apostasy". That is ridiculous. Turning away from sin is an obligation for Christians, in obedience to the teachings of the Christ.

Aaah. I see the problem now. You don’t understand the word “apostasy”. Apostasy simply means the renunciation or abandonment of a previous loyalty.

When you abandon loyalty to a prior political, ideological, or religious belief, you become an apostate. So when you turn away from the wickedness of the world and seek God, you become an apostate. Likewise, when you abandon loyalty to God you become apostate once again. The idea that you become apostate only when you abandon God is just as ridiculous as the notion you only become apostate when you abandon a particular church.

I’ve already talked about the two states mentioned in 2 Peter 2:20 which you did not directly address. But since you only see one state when there are two here is another scripture for you:

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household”. Ephesian 2:19 NIV

So you no longer have membership in the old state, but have abandoned it, and once you abandon it, you are by definition apostate, and once you are an apostate, you are well on the road to becoming a fellow citizen of God’s people.

OK.....now I am really confused, since I do not see this first "apostasy" you speak of....

That’s because you have a misunderstanding of the word apostasy and didn’t directly address 2 Peter 2:20.

“…in fact the majority of people in western nations like ours are gravitating to atheism and unbelief. Is that considered "spiritual"?

Of course it is. There are only two states, remember? Those that belong to Satan, and those that belong to God. Which state do you think atheists and agnostics belong to? Is there perhaps a third state that I am unaware of???

As used in scripture, "apostasy" always pertains to abandoning God's true worship and replacing it with a substitute. This is what I see in Christendom. When you disagree with one person's interpretation of scripture, you can just break away and form your own church founded on your own ideas. Is that what Jesus taught? Make up your own truth?

Sounds like more Watchtower hypocrisy to me…The Bible Student/Jehovah Witnesses split into a number of groups. Is that what Jesus taught? Make up your own truth?

I don't think your interpretation of "apostasy" is biblical.

I just showed you how it was biblical in my prior post. Read my comments on 2 Peter 2:20 again. Then read Ephesians 2:19. There are two states we can belong to, not one. There are two states we can turn from, not one.

It is always wrong to be an apostate in God's definition of the word.

You believe it's wrong to turn away or renounce sin? Is this biblical?

IMO you are confusing the issue by inventing an "apostasy" that scripture never speaks about.

It’s not an “inventing” but an “understanding” of the word apostasy, Deeje, that’s all. You belong in a world that invents its own peculiar, loaded definitions that exist nowhere else and expect people to somehow understand them. You can surely turn away or "apostatize" from sin just as surely as you can turn away or "apostatize" from God. To say that scripture never speaks about this is ridiculous.

In short, you want to redefine “apostate” to mean “turn away from God” when in fact it simply means to turn away from a prior position, and when you use it, you want it to mean “turn away from the Watchtower”, when in fact, it means no such thing.

And all of this...ALL of this alleged blindness...is solely for the benefit of those Watchtower members who like to point fingers and enjoy how the word "Apostate!" makes them feel as it rolls off the tongue.